Canadian Pairs 2017/2018 Season News and Updates

Rafter

KMT is pretty great. She’s always been really consistent and had cat like reflexes. I think she had gotten even better in the last year or so. I don’t think Marinaro is at her level, despite improving a lot, but he’s gotten a lot more consistent too. She’s definitely a great competitor and that goes a long way. 4th in the LP in this field is :kickass:

Yes we can add mental toughness to KMT’s list of awesomeness.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And from the way MT/M are slowly rising as teams ahead of them falter, they didn't even have to do a great LP.
As it turns out, there was a 15-point cushion over 11th.

~2.5 pts less, and they could have been in 10th.

S/B are a good team that is lacking that something extra to make them great, IMO.
They are so much more impressive live. On TV, they don't look matched, but live, especially moving, their glide is beautiful and they have that skating-as-one thing down.

is it because KMT dropped Moskovit
While some people would have been upset because he wanted to skate longer, and even fans of hers thought she was nuts to choose Marinaro -- I don't remember if they were a couple at the time -- it was the way she did it with their then-coaches, the Witzes, that rankled, because it was arranged behind his back, although, he was supposedly warned and chose denial.

But not everything is bring flowers to the rink to thank the coach and shaking hands and respect. It was Szolkowy's then-fiance-now-wife who told Massot's old partner, Popova, at 2014 Worlds that he was planning to jump ship at the end of the season; he hadn't told Popova yet, although it was a perfectly reasonable move.

CassAgain

Also, anyone know if she and Liam Firus are still together? Browsing through Instagram, neither of them has posted pictures with the other for a really long time.

I was wondering about that today because she didn't mention him in the K&C.

Rafter

Just because I'd just mentioned it - Kirsten landing triple loop, triple flip, double axel-triple salchow, and triple toe/triple toe (turn out) from May 2016 (from her Instagram), and MT/M landing side by side triple flips in March 2016.

Also, anyone know if she and Liam Firus are still together? Browsing through Instagram, neither of them has posted pictures with the other for a really long time.

Wow I had no idea KMT or MM could do 3flips. I wonder how consistently they land them. Would be interesting to see them add them to the LP next year.

Rafter

As it turns out, there was a 15-point cushion over 11th.

~2.5 pts less, and they could have been in 10th.

Well they weren’t. Thanks to their consistency and ability to perform under pressure.

Btw I noticed their PCS is into the 8’s now. Also could see the GOEs on elements like pairs spins and death spirals going up next season.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So do we think with what happened Duhamel will try and find her own Massot and continue to lead Canadian pairs for another Olympic cycle? I would be all about that :watch:

manhn

If MT&M (and S&B) can be more consistent and garner more points, they can be in a better warm-up group. They would have received higher marks if they skated later in the night. You wonder if the Canadians who were not Olympic medal shots could have benefited at competing at 4CC.

pat c

No, people are mad about her breakup with Dylan. She left him because she wanted to complete until 2022 and possibly 2026 and he was much older than her. Before this season, people gloated that I/M were doing better than Kirsten was. Now she made the Olympics a cycle earlier than she predicted, and she was low-key right. Dylan's jumps went by the wayside even before that door fell on him.

Maybe my mind is going, but I remember hearing/reading that Dylan wanted to quit skating before they actually did it. So I never got all the angst and drama over KMT finding a new partner. Besides, they weren't married she could find a new partner if she wanted to continue skating. Others have done it.

supergirl573

So do we think with what happened Duhamel will try and find her own Massot and continue to lead Canadian pairs for another Olympic cycle? I would be all about that :watch:
She's super retired. She said in the TSL interview that she was grateful that she did not have to do anymore triple twists.

marigold

Congratulations to MTM2 for rising to the occasion under pressure. That demonstrated leadership, and I think is a defining moment in busting out of their pecking order behind S/B, as far as Skate Canada is concerned.

I think it’s apparent that Seguin is working through some health issues. Still, they had a tremendous nationals and Olympics, so there’s a lot to be proud of this season. Onwards!

McIntosh and Toste were absolutely delightful at Nationals. So much star power! Since apparently it’s not taboo to pronounce Gogo as the savior of men’s skating, when will M/T be eligible for seniors? :shuffle:

barbarafan

Maybe my mind is going, but I remember hearing/reading that Dylan wanted to quit skating before they actually did it. So I never got all the angst and drama over KMT finding a new partner. Besides, they weren't married she could find a new partner if she wanted to continue skating. Others have done it.
According to interviews they both committed to each other for another Olympic cycle. He would not commit further due to his age etc. She then decided she wanted to go for 2 cycles and dumped him. She felt he would retire but he really wanted to continue and go to Olympics again so he found another partner. The nasties is from another time when she did tryouts with her boyfriend at the time behind their partners back and with the coach involved.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Well they weren’t. Thanks to their consistency and ability to perform under pressure.
I was responding to the statement that they didn't even need a great FS, which was true to earn two spots.

:respec: to them for doing everything they could given her injury and ending up seeded.

manhn

I vaguely recall MTM2 attempting the throw quad next season. Hope that works out!

I rewatch Duhamel's interview and overview of the throw twist amongst Canadian pairs over and over again.

I wished David commentated the pairs at the Olympics. He is very knowledgeable and skilled. I loved all the talk about levels in twists, death spirals, lifts, etc.

ChiquitaBanana

@Tinami Amori : browse back this thread to find an answer to KMT bashing. It got ugly...

Clearly Séguin was not in too shape and looked frightened even in the warm-up. There must be more to the story than the actual performance. She is a very nice caring person and totally devoted to her sport, she has just been so unlucky with injuries that it has hamper their development. I wish her the very best.

As for Marinaro, yes, he has improved, but I still cringe when I see him doing lifts, I fear he will still fall in the twist and seems prone to two-footed jumps. Look his in slomo during the lp...

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I go back and forth between loving S&B and thinking they have real potential.... And then wondering if they just had that one great season and that will be it... Such a great team when they're on and have great programs.

KMT saves the day! So glad she keeps improving despite all the really ugly business that's been said about her here. I'll never blame her for "dumping" Dylan. They were a better team than anyone expected, and maybe seemed still promising after their 2014 results. But I still think they weren't going to improve much artistically, and they were both miles better with their respective new partners in that regard. So this world's result is fairly delicious.

Rafter

If MT&M (and S&B) can be more consistent and garner more points, they can be in a better warm-up group. They would have received higher marks if they skated later in the night. You wonder if the Canadians who were not Olympic medal shots could have benefited at competing at 4CC.

I do think if KMT and MM had been in the second to last group instead of 3rd to last, their GOEs in many elements would have been higher as well as PCS.

Rafter

I go back and forth between loving S&B and thinking they have real potential.... And then wondering if they just had that one great season and that will be it... Such a great team when they're on and have great programs.

KMT saves the day! So glad she keeps improving despite all the really ugly business that's been said about her here. I'll never blame her for "dumping" Dylan. They were a better team than anyone expected, and maybe seemed still promising after their 2014 results. But I still think they weren't going to improve much artistically, and they were both miles better with their respective new partners in that regard. So this world's result is fairly delicious.

I agree with you about S/B. One day I think great, the next day not. I think their biggest problem is their pair elements are not WOW enough. Plus they’re inconsistent.

Btw someone posted yesterday they thought her hands even looked swollen and I noticed during the CBC coverage of the SPs that they indeed are. No doubt she’s on some sort of medication.

Also agree re: KMT. She did the right thing. Dylan could barely land his SBS triples the last two years. Plus IMO he was starting to look quite aged out there.

Kudos to KMT for doing the thing that she thought best for HER career.

Now if only they could use another choreographer other than Julie Marcotte. Even just for one program.

Is it mandated that all Gauthier teams use Julie?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Someone's skating has zero to do with the way they got there, unless it impacts their coaching situation and/or current partnership. You can love the skating and not love the skater or vice versa.

MT/M v.1 weren't a better team than anyone expected: Trankov said that they --not sure whom he was including, but he implied skaters/skating insiders -- could never understand why Skate Canada pushed D/R over MT/M v.1, when MT/M v.1 were clearly better. They needed a better twist and different coaches, but they were rhythmically and musically very compatible and excellent performers. And I don't think the KMT is miles better with Marinaro artistically.

I would love to see them go to Mark Pillay for a short. I know he choreographed for MTM #1, but he really gave them some great perky programs which Kirsten does so well.
That would be great! Because she can do both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information