Can one use your computor to finalize a DVD?

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
My old Magnavox DVD recorder broke down and wouldn't even turn on, so I took it to a DVD repair shop to fix it. Verdict: Impossible. Only option: Junk it. In it's wake, I have a dozen or so DVD-Rs that are in that twilight state where, not being finalized, it's to me just as if someone locked all the content from being played! Is there any program that'll allow one to use your computer to finalize a DVD-R disc?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I found WinX DVD Author/ Windows 10 after I discovered that Windows DVD Maker was left out with Windows 10.

It's free, and there are even menus and chapters. I've made, burned and finalized DVDs with it and it works pretty well.

I meant to add that it also supports Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I used WinX many times myself, but that's not what I need here. I have several DVD-Rs with TV/Youtube programs already recorded onto them, and need to use my computer to finalize them without using a DVD recorder (which is dead in the water), not download anything extra onto them. This is not a DVD-authorizing problem.

skatefan

Home in England
My old Magnavox DVD recorder broke down and wouldn't even turn on, so I took it to a DVD repair shop to fix it. Verdict: Impossible. Only option: Junk it. In it's wake, I have a dozen or so DVD-Rs that are in that twilight state where, not being finalized, it's to me just as if someone locked all the content from being played! Is there any program that'll allow one to use your computer to finalize a DVD-R disc?
As far as I know, finalising can only be done on the machine that made the recording, but, just wondering, there are quite a few Magnavox DVD recorders listed on ebay (I've never heard of the brand so have no idea whether they're the same as yours) and maybe if you can find a recorder which is the same model number you'll be able to finalise your recordings on it.

acraven

I was going to make the same suggestion. Check Craig's List, too, and local thrift stores. Some Googling may help you figure out whether you need exactly the same model number you were using or there are others in the same family that will work.

Last edited:

Skate Talker

As far as I know, finalising can only be done on the machine that made the recording....
I did not know that. I made all my DVD movies and used to burn all my video back up files on my PC using mostly Nero, but also some other free software. Not all were finalized but all will play on my PC. I have a Sony DVD player but always found it problematic for both commercial and my own DVD movies. I guess that is why I burned movies for less than 2 year. The Sony DVD player never would play video files burned to DVD regardless of format, (though a cheap little player I got will play them), but since they play on the PC and are only back up to the vid files stored on external hard drives, I never really worried about it. (Before wi-fi and smart tv's I had an external media player that connected the external drives to my tv.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information