• Olympus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jay42

Between the click of the light
The Panasonic's are stunning but can get expensive. Part of that is because they have 4K video built into the FZ1000 as well as having a lens with an f2.8-4 aperture and has a 16x zoom so you would have a lot of versatility in when you can take your photos, lower light photos will look better for instance. But it is $1,000 Canadian. Because 4K video is expensive. The other Panasonic Bridge camera is the FZ200K which is $530 Canadian, has an f2.8 aperture through the whole zoom range and a 24x zoom. No 4K capture hence the cheaper price. Panasonic uses Leica glass for their lenses so the image quality and colour quality is stunning.

I'm less a fan of the Sony cameras generally,Their warranty division is a pain in the ass to deal with and they have become really restrictive in where to get their accessories. You can really only go straight through Sony. However they do own Zeiss so you get some beautiful lenses on their cameras. The RX10 is their highest end bridge camera, it has 20 megapixels, an f2.8 aperture however only zooms to about 8x. But because of the f2.8 and the Zeiss lens it's $1,100 Canadian. The HX400 is $450 Canadian, is 20 megapixels, a 50x zoom but I can't find specifics about the aperture so you're probably looking at roughly an f3.5 to 5.6 or higher. It can't shoot RAW though so if your looking at wanting to edit the photos at all RAW really is the way to go because it preserves more of the picture data.

You will find the bridge cameras usually do have a viewfinder as opposed to just the LCD and shooting through the viewfinder saves the battery life and you can see better on sunny days. I also recommend shooting in Program mode because while it acts mostly like an Auto mode it does give you some control over setting such as White Balance and ISO. With Auto you may also find that pictures sometimes look grainy or coloured wrong when you're shooting in lower lights and that is because Auto forces the camera into Night mode when shooting in lower light. Program doesn't do that. It's a great way to start while you're getting to know a camera.

millyskate

Thanks Nell, that's really informative - I've been using DSLRs exclusively for the past few years so I'm out of touch with the bridge market.

BigB08822

Thanks for all the information. A bridge camera sounds perfect. I don't want to have to carry around a bag with lenses and all that mess. I have a great place to start my research. :)

Jay42

Nikon and Canon have good bridge cameras as well, but I'm inclined towards the Panasonic cameras because they do have the better aperture on the lenses and that can be huge in bridge cameras. But the Nikon and Canon cameras tend to have a better zoom for at least a slightly lower cost.

Canon has the SX530 which has a 50x optical zoom but much like the Sony HX400 it's aperture is hard to find so it probably starts at about F3.5 and goes up from there. It's 16 megapixels. It's around $470 Canadian.
The Canon SX60 has a 65x optical zoom but still no information on the aperture. It's 16 megapixels and the DIGIC 6 image processor which should help with low light perfomance. It's around $580 Canadian.

The Nikon P610 has a 60x zoom, no aperture information and 16 megapixels. It also has built in GPS which enables you to tag the image with the co-ordinates of where you took the picture. Although if you don't want to use it you don't have to. It doesn't default to being on so you would have to turn it on yourself if you want to use it. It's really only useful online if people want to see exactly where your pictures were taken. It's $500 Canadian.
The Nikon P900 is 16 megapixels, has an 83x optical zoom and no aperture information. Otherwise it has similar specs to the P610. I believe minor things were changed but the biggest difference is the zoom. No real substantial differences though. It's $670 Canadian.

If you can go someplace that lets you hold and play with the cameras a bit that can be super helpful. I've heard of people buying cameras online who hate them because they don't feel right in their hands. One of the only real substantial differences between Nikon and Canon for instance is that Nikon has a slightly more rugged design and Canon is a bit sleeker. You can also get a feel for how easy the camera is to use as well. But I find being able to actually play with the camera, even in a closed setting, can be immensely helpful.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Nikon P610: f/3.5-6.5
Nikon P900: f/2.8-6.5
A couple of of nice things these cameras have is NF (Near Field) capability with Android systems, and a panorama mode.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Nikon and Canon have good bridge cameras as well, but I'm inclined towards the Panasonic cameras because they do have the better aperture on the lenses and that can be huge in bridge cameras. But the Nikon and Canon cameras tend to have a better zoom for at least a slightly lower cost.

Canon has the SX530 which has a 50x optical zoom but much like the Sony HX400 it's aperture is hard to find so it probably starts at about F3.5 and goes up from there. It's 16 megapixels. It's around $470 Canadian.
The Canon SX60 has a 65x optical zoom but still no information on the aperture. It's 16 megapixels and the DIGIC 6 image processor which should help with low light perfomance. It's around $580 Canadian.

The Nikon P610 has a 60x zoom, no aperture information and 16 megapixels. It also has built in GPS which enables you to tag the image with the co-ordinates of where you took the picture. Although if you don't want to use it you don't have to. It doesn't default to being on so you would have to turn it on yourself if you want to use it. It's really only useful online if people want to see exactly where your pictures were taken. It's $500 Canadian.
The Nikon P900 is 16 megapixels, has an 83x optical zoom and no aperture information. Otherwise it has similar specs to the P610. I believe minor things were changed but the biggest difference is the zoom. No real substantial differences though. It's $670 Canadian.

If you can go someplace that lets you hold and play with the cameras a bit that can be super helpful. I've heard of people buying cameras online who hate them because they don't feel right in their hands. One of the only real substantial differences between Nikon and Canon for instance is that Nikon has a slightly more rugged design and Canon is a bit sleeker. You can also get a feel for how easy the camera is to use as well. But I find being able to actually play with the camera, even in a closed setting, can be immensely helpful.

Thanks for all the great information. I have learned a lot in this thread from you and other knowledgeable posters. When I started this thread, I had no idea that there was so much knowledge out there. This will be a good start for me.

For now, I am happy with my Nikon L840 with the 38x. I was happy with the way my Alaska pictures came out. I do see its limitations though and in the future I will need a more sophisticated camera. I don't like to carry a lot of camera equipment unless I am traveling by my own car, so the use of the better camera may be somewhat limited. I do see many people flying with their big cameras and lenses. May be someday I will join that group too. :)

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I dusted off my Sony video camera that has a view finder. I use it to video horses (mine and others) at the horse show. HEAVEN. I had forgotten how much I hate trying to use the screen thing in all kinds of light and dark. And the view finder gives me a place to rest the camera (on my face) so it holds still better. I am not sophisticated enough to discern the quality of the pictures. They look great to me. I ride with a professional photographer. She came with a huge camera and lenses. I am sure her pictures are fabulous. And, in my next life, I am going to learn to operate one of those............right after I learn to play the piano :)

BigB08822

I hope someone can answer rather quickly, at least by tomorrow.

Tomorrow is Amazon Prime Day and I heard they are putting two different Nikon Coolpix cameras on sale at 50% off. I talked to my husband and he gave me the go ahead to buy one of them. I don't know which models are being offered but I will figure that out when I see them tomorrow. Are these good cameras? Anyone know anything about them?

BigB08822

I dd some searching and it looks like it will be the Nikon Coolpix P600 I am off to do some research, looks like it becomes available super early in the morning, around 5:30 or so my time. Better research and then get some sleep.

A quick google search pulls this camera up for close to $200 on some sites, even though Amazon lists its original price closer to $500. I have a feeling their huge discount is more a reflection of an inflated regular price than about an actual good sale price.

Jay42

The P600 is last years model. The P610 came out earlier this year but it's virtually impossible to buy. The P600 has a 60X optical zoom, it's easy to hold, sturdy, even when it's zoomed out all the way. The biggest thing I found with it is if you zoom out all the way when the light isn't great you'll find the pictures may come out a bit blurry unless you have either super steady hands, or something to support it with. However, like I said it is still super steady when it's zoomed out all the way. When it's at the lower zooms it's still good though. It's been at least 6 months since I've been hands on with it so I don't totally recall everything, but I liked it a lot. It's a solid camera and Nikon is easy to get to know as a camera brand. The settings are easy to use.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
I concur with Nell. It also has an eye level viewfinder. This important because you can hold it against your face whilst shooting which helps steady the camera. Even with vibration reduction (VR in Nikon parlance), one cannot hold the camera steady whilst trying to use the monitor to compose the shot.

sk8pics

I missed the deal on the Nikon Coolpix P600, but I bought one anyway, at $346. I also have a Nikon D70, so that's what swayed me in that direction rather than a similar Canon. I still have my D70 with a fast 80-200 mm/2.8 lens for action, but I am really looking forward to try out the birding mode on the P600.

BigB08822

I missed the deal, as well. They released it earlier than the announced time. I am kind of angry about that, I got up early and everything. I don't think it matters, though. I tried getting other deals on Amazon today and they were waitlisted within 30 seconds. I clicked on a food scale as soon as it came up and it was unavailable. I couldn't have done it any faster. What a joke. I have my eye on that camera so I will wait and see if there are any Black Friday deals. I want it for our cruise but that isn't until next summer so I can wait it out.

sk8pics

I just noticed that BJ's has the P600 for $300. I may see if I can return the one I got, though it might not be worth the hassle. Perhaps I'll see if the seller will split the difference.

BigB08822

I just noticed that BJ's has the P600 for $300. I may see if I can return the one I got, though it might not be worth the hassle. Perhaps I'll see if the seller will split the difference.

Did you order through Amazon? If it hasn't shipped yet then you can still cancel your order.

Southpaw, what is B&H? Is the 610 worth the extra money?

I noticed some websites are selling the 600 for under $300 but it seems they are either refurbished or if they are new they don't tell you ANYTHING about what the camera comes with. I have a feeling you only get the camera and they nickel and dime you to death to get the other things you will need, such as a case, battery charger, etc.

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski

B&H is a camera store in NYC. You would get free shipping and (most likely) pay no tax. I don't know anything about this camera - just shopping around for ya. :D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1120469-REG/nikon_26488_coolpix_p610_digital_camera.html

Adorama (another camera store in NYC) has the P610 as bundles for slightly more. You get the camera plus a camera bag, memory card and cleaning kit for $426. If that stuff isn't important to you then it looks like B&H has the better price for the camera alone.

www.adorama.com

Jay42

I missed the deal on the Nikon Coolpix P600, but I bought one anyway, at $346. I also have a Nikon D70, so that's what swayed me in that direction rather than a similar Canon. I still have my D70 with a fast 80-200 mm/2.8 lens for action, but I am really looking forward to try out the birding mode on the P600.
I'm bitterly jealous of you for having that lens. I would love to get that or the current 70-200mm f2.8 but I really can't afford it.
B&H has the P610 available for $389.
That's impressive. We haven't been able to get them through our chain for 2 or 3 months now. But then we are a smaller Western Canadian chain so we don't tend to come up high on some companies list of places to rush product too.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Adorama and B&H are the two biggest camera stores in NYC. They have brick & mortar stores and mail order. Very reputable.

sk8pics

Did you order through Amazon? If it hasn't shipped yet then you can still cancel your order.

Yes, I did order through Amazon, but it shipped immediately, within an hour it was already showing as shipped. I'll make up my mind about returning it when I get it.

Southpaw already answered your question, but I will add that I used to buy film on line from them frequently. Glad they are still in business.

Nell411, I got that lens a long time ago and it has served me well. :)

BigB08822

Adorama and B&H are the two biggest camera stores in NYC. They have brick & mortar stores and mail order. Very reputable.

Thanks. I found a great price on Adorama but it was a refurbished camera and again they don't list what the camera actually comes with. Not worth it if you don't get the essentials that come with the other higher priced places.

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski
Thanks. I found a great price on Adorama but it was a refurbished camera and again they don't list what the camera actually comes with. Not worth it if you don't get the essentials that come with the other higher priced places.

Was it this refurbished P600? If you scroll down, on the right hand side there's a box called "What's In The Box" and it tells you what it comes with, battery, etc.

http://www.adorama.com/INKCPP600BR.html

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski
I never bought a refurb, but I bought a used Canon 7D from Adorama and have had no trouble with it.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Refurb is usually good as long as it's done by the manufacturer, or by a manufacturer authorised dealer.

BigB08822

Bringing this up again.

Found this camera for 44% off, I assume a Cyber Monday deal but not sure. It isn't as good as the p600 I was thinking of, a 38x optical zoom as opposed to 60x but maybe it would suffice for our cruises? I really just want a good camera for our cruises, specifically when we go on an Alaskan cruise (our European cruise has been canceled for now).

Can anyone comment on this camera? $166 is very cheap but should I wait out and get a better camera in the $300 range like the p600? Is the optical zoom a huge difference between 38x and 60x?

Edit: Link would be nice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2093880782&pf_rd_i=761198

Edit 2: I just realized this camera does not have a view-finder. That is a deal-breaker for me. I can't stand shooting pictures from a screen. Plus the reviews seem to trash the auto-focus feature. Think I will pass and pay more $$ for a better camera. I still have next year over Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Alaskan cruise isn't until 2017.

Last edited:

Jay42

It runs on AA batteries as well. Means they die even faster than your standard Li-Ion. Your definitely better waiting for something else. Plus considering your going on a cruise a viewfinder would be better, so your preference for a viewfinder is totally justified. Shooting with the viewfinder also helps your battery last longer too.

sk8pics

I will also add that it's very difficult to shoot all the way zoomed in (60x) with my P600 and still hold it rather than using a tripod. Any slight movement will move the focal point a lot. I do love the camera, just wanted to mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information