Bids for ISU Championships 2021 & 2022; Provisional allotments in 2020/21

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
No, USFS hasn’t even announced the location for the 2021 US Nationals (though presumably that will happen within the next month or two). Perhaps they’ll announce 2022 as well since the RFP was combined for both 2021 & 2022.

I was told at SA that 2021 Nats (and I'm guessing 2022 since I've heard solid rumors of that location) will be announced before 2020 Nats.

zigzig

I was looking into some early 2021 planning and I'm confused about the Worlds location. This wiki article says that Stockholm is no longer hosting and that Italy will, but I can't seem to confirm that info anywhere. Does anyone know what this is about? Apologies if it's already been discussed as I haven't followed this conversation closely.

"On 5 August 2019 Stockholm Withdrew from hosting the 2021 Figure Skating World Championship Stockholm Losing. Italy will host 2021 Figure Skating World Championship."

Sylvia

TBD
We are preparing! In March 2021 Sweden will host the ISU World Figure Skating Championships in Ericsson Globe Arena, Stockholm. Dates are set to March 22–28 and ticket sales will start late spring 2020.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
I was looking into some early 2021 planning and I'm confused about the Worlds location. This wiki article says that Stockholm is no longer hosting and that Italy will, but I can't seem to confirm that info anywhere. Does anyone know what this is about? Apologies if it's already been discussed as I haven't followed this conversation closely.

"On 5 August 2019 Stockholm Withdrew from hosting the 2021 Figure Skating World Championship Stockholm Losing. Italy will host 2021 Figure Skating World Championship."
There's no citation for that piece of information, and I can find no articles referencing such a withdraw, and the ISU website still lists Stockholm as the host for the 2021 World Championships. I think the information is supposed to relate to the 2026 Winter Olympics that Stockholm lost to Milan-Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy.

Sylvia

TBD
Replying to an earlier post:
No, USFS hasn’t even announced the location for the 2021 US Nationals (though presumably that will happen within the next month or two). Perhaps they’ll announce 2022 as well since the RFP was combined for both 2021 & 2022.
Announced on October 30, 2019 (link to the GSD news thread):

manhn

Ooh, Stockholm is getting Worlds?!?! How did I not know?

What's weather like in Stockholm that time of year? It seems to be later in March than normal, which is fine by me.

Sylvia

TBD
Posted back in June:
... The nearest T-bana (underground) station is Globen and is right on the site. I've attended a couple of hockey games there in the past and it was very easy to navigate.

In terms of accommodation, it depends on how close you want to be. I think there are hotels very near, but in all honesty, the subway system is really great and easy to use (with only 3 different lines) and so as long as you are near a T station then you won't be far away. There are a few different areas in the city and I guess where you stay depends on what you're looking for! Gamla Stan is the old town (beautiful but expensive), Sodermalm is a more trendy, young area (and very close to the venue), Norrmalm is the city centre, Ostermalm is a posh area with fancy hotels and nice boats, and Vasastan has lots of cafes and parks (my personal favourite).

(Sorry this is so long! Stockholm is probably my favourite city in the whole world (outside my own city) and so I could talk about it at length - I usually only ever read FSU and don't post but my love for the city made me post 😅)
The ride on the metro from central Stockholm, T-centralen, to Globen takes 10 min.
We should start a Stockholm Worlds planning thread when ticket sales open in late spring so that @litenkyckling, @Carina, @Evilynn (eta: whose Stockholm thread from 2015 is in the Archives) & others familiar with the city can share more tips. :D

Last edited:

Vagabond

Thoughts:

1. The fact that something has been posted on Wikipedia does not mean that it is true.
2. This gives a new meaning to the term "Stockholm Syndrome."
3. I hope someone does a program to the soundtrack from Gaslight next season.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information