Baltimore Bridge Collapse

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
The ship lost power twice and was totally blacked out. Just awful

annie720

I used to drive over this bridge several times a year and one thing that always struck me was how long it was. It wasn't a scary bridge like many that are high, was comfortable to drive because it was 4 lanes, and it was often worth driving the additional distance to avoid congestion on the beltway or the tunnels. But it did seem long. It's so hard to imagine the whole thing going down like that.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
It's unbelievable and sad. My first thought after horror was - pilot on board? One of the reason for pilot is to navigate things/hazards. Something must have gone terribly wrong on board.

I hope casualties are minimal.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
We had a bridge collapse in Washington State on I-5 when a truck took out supports, and it impacted a major N-S trucking freight lane for five months. (There was a state of emergency to fix it.) That is a grain of sand compared to what has happened in Baltimore, involving Maersk, a giant in shipping.

Mugs

I live in Baltimore. I cannot believe that the Key Bridge has collapsed. Seeing the video was almost like watching a movie. The crew from the ship, named "Dali", put out a mayday call before hitting the bridge. Unfortunately, people and vehicles were thrown into the Patapsco River. Two people have been rescued from the water. One person refuse care and the other person was taken to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center. Several submerged vehicles have been located. Recover is currently ongoing.

Barbara Manatee

I briefly saw something on X that the ship's personnel knew they were in trouble and let shore people know, meaning that cars were stopped before the bridge. If so, that really saved lives.
Yes, I watched a longer video than the news clips - you can see the ship lose power and a few moments later the amount of traffic on the bridge drops way off. It's horrifying watching the cars as the ship gets closer and closer. I'm screaming to myself 'Faster, faster, drive faster!" Thank goodness the pilots and bridge personnel were able to react in time to save people.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yes, I watched a longer video than the news clips - you can see the ship lose power and a few moments later the amount of traffic on the bridge drops way off. It's horrifying watching the cars as the ship gets closer and closer. I'm screaming to myself 'Faster, faster, drive faster!" Thank goodness the pilots and bridge personnel were able to react in time to save people.
Very interesting video. He said at the end that he is going to make a better video. Looking forward to it.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I was watching the news here in Australia when they showed the video of the bridge collapsing. Wow just wow. It was such a long expanse of bridge. Just seemed to buckle like a house of cards.

Did hear that they managed to stop the traffic so it could have been so much worse in terms of casualties. Although did hear there were people working on it at the time.

Our main bridge here in Hobart years ago had a ship run into it and it collapsed. Now any time a ship goes under it they stop all traffic from crossing.

vgerdes

I've never been comfortable driving over long bridges, no matter how solid they seemed to be. Watching this footage was kind of like seeing a nightmare come to life. How absolutely terrifying for those poor people.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Long ago, before they built a second tunnel, I sometimes used that bridge to go around Baltimore if the one tunnel was really backed up, driving DC-Philly. Nowadays itā€™s mostly local and truck traffic that uses it, the latter canā€™t go through the tunnels if theyā€™re over a certain size. Traffic is going to be a mess for a while.

Stefanie

Long ago, before they built a second tunnel, I sometimes used that bridge to go around Baltimore if the one tunnel was really backed up, driving DC-Philly. Nowadays itā€™s mostly local and truck traffic that uses it, the latter canā€™t go through the tunnels if theyā€™re over a certain size. Traffic is going to be a mess for a while.
And trucks can't drive through the tunnels if they have propane, hazardous chemicals, etc. so that only leaves the rest of the beltway...Really is a mess.

Debbie S

And trucks can't drive through the tunnels if they have propane, hazardous chemicals, etc. so that only leaves the rest of the beltway...Really is a mess.
Last night, I saw a tanker (oil?) downtown headed from Pratt St to President St/JFX. I don't see too many tankers in the area so I wondered if driver was going through downtown as a route around at least some of the Beltway. The Key Bridge was built in part to get traffic off city streets so I suspect there will be more tankers/hazmats on downtown streets for the foreseeable future.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge

Last night, I saw a tanker (oil?) downtown headed from Pratt St to President St/JFX. I don't see too many tankers in the area so I wondered if driver was going through downtown as a route around at least some of the Beltway. The Key Bridge was built in part to get traffic off city streets so I suspect there will be more tankers/hazmats on downtown streets for the foreseeable future.

This is really not good, but I guess there is nothing that can be done. :(

caseyedwards

The workers killed were migrants? Migrants build this country and they are often demonized by certain folk. God bless them and their families.
Wage slaves have died. Thatā€™s awful. When wage slaves died in United Arab Emirates it was a scandal that made some people want to boycott World Cup. These are slaves and are being abused and itā€™s time to end open migration for wage slaves

gkelly

Just saw some comments on a news article posted on FB from people who saw hazmat trucks (labeled) in the tunnels yesterday and this morning. :eek:
Shall I plan to take the beltway the long way around when I go to NJ next week?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The workers killed were migrants? Migrants build this country and they are often demonized by certain folk. God bless them and their families.
Do you have any source for that?

Debbie S

Shall I plan to take the beltway the long way around when I go to NJ next week?
I think you'll be fine in the tunnels. Maybe look around to see if there is a tanker around you and try to get in the next 2 lanes? You could also come through downtown via the I-395 exit (right turn on Conway, left on Light, coming around right to Pratt, left on President and go up I-83 to the Beltway), that would allow you to avoid the west side of the Beltway, at least.

Debbie S

Do you have any source for that?
I think i would refer to them as immigrants, not migrants, but that may be a matter of semantics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information