Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Oh my god, finally. I was getting legitimately terrified that he hadn't competed anywhere before Nebelhorn.

EDIT: And even better, I kinda like the FS. That costume is gonna drive me bonkers though.

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Chantelle Kerry/Andrew Dodds will keep training in Novi, Michigan and will compete in US Classic (Senior B in Norwood, Mass. next month) and then Finlandia Trophy, according to Ice-Dance.com's Lake Placid IDI recap article.
Good they've found somewhere to train (all rinks are closed here in Sydney right now).

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Good they've found somewhere to train (all rinks are closed here in Sydney right now).
I'm thinking the National Championships may be cancelled for a second year.

Here's hoping that any skaters needed for the Four Continents, World and Olympic Teams, are given enough international opportunities to compete this season to earn those places

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Yeah, in some states the rinks are closed, and in the states where they aren't the borders are closed, so Nationals will be difficult to put it mildly. I don't see any of that changing before the end of the year.

misskarne

I gave up on Nationals weeks ago. It'll be September next week, when State Championships are generally starting to be held, and three states/territories are in hard lockdowns and two more (including the host state) are skimming around them. Borders are closed all over the place. The skaters can't train.

I would not expect that any of our international skaters will return home before the Olympics (and for those who can go to Worlds maybe not even then). They will stay overseas getting in as many internationals and as much training as they can. It won't be worth it to come back here. That's going to be devastating for promotion of the sport in the Olympic runup, among everything else.

Marco

I'm thinking the National Championships may be cancelled for a second year.

Here's hoping that any skaters needed for the Four Continents, World and Olympic Teams, are given enough international opportunities to compete this season to earn those places
I think the situation for singles is pretty clear as far as the Olympics go. Kailani and Brandon are pretty uncontested nationally and they will be fighting for their own spots at the Olympics at Nebelhorn anyways.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think the situation for singles is pretty clear as far as the Olympics go. Kailani and Brandon are pretty uncontested nationally and they will be fighting for their own spots at the Olympics at Nebelhorn anyways.
If they both bring it at Nebelhorn, under rotations and what not aside, then Craine and Kerry each have a good shot of obtaining those final spots in China.

Marco

If they both bring it at Nebelhorn, under rotations and what not aside, then Craine and Kerry each have a good shot of obtaining those final spots in China.
Kailani surprised us with the win 4 years ago but she really hasn't delivered since. Looking at the scores of the contenders Australia / she does seem right on the cusp and much will depend on the rotation and edge calls. The clean 3loop3loop last month was impressive - let's hope she can keep it up. She usually gets dinged on the flutz pretty badly - perhaps it's time to revisit the 2 3lutz plan.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Kailani surprised us with the win 4 years ago but she really hasn't delivered since. Looking at the scores of the contenders Australia / she does seem right on the cusp and much will depend on the rotation and edge calls. The clean 3loop3loop last month was impressive - let's hope she can keep it up. She usually gets dinged on the flutz pretty badly - perhaps it's time to revisit the 2 3lutz plan.
Until Vlada Vasiliev is senior - eligible, Craine is the best we've got.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Australian Nationals has been officially cancelled for another year, and next year's given to Brisbane to make up for it.

Some virtual competitions are being organised to make up for it, I believe, but it will not be Nationals.
Who knows if Victoria and NSW will be out of lockdown so that the skaters can even train.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Potentially end of October in NSW if we reach vaccination targets, cases are under control, both skaters and coaches are fully vaccinated, and the one person per four square metre rule can be maintained. There's a lot of ifs there.

Marco

IF Australia qualifies a woman's entry at Nebelhorn, is there going to be an event to determine who gets it? Or is it pretty much set because there are no other skaters besides Kailani that meets the TES mins?

misskarne

IF Australia qualifies a woman's entry at Nebelhorn, is there going to be an event to determine who gets it? Or is it pretty much set because there are no other skaters besides Kailani that meets the TES mins?
I would think the latter. Really, the only question mark is over what happens if we qualify an ice dance entry, and that may also be moot if Jason doesn't have citizenship/won't be able to get it.

misskarne

They were very impressive and certainly look very promising. Such a shame we aren't having Nationals this year, I would like to see this team in person.

(I still can't quite get over how tall Hektor is now. He and Darian have just grown like weeds.)

misskarne

All right guys, time for the stress levels to kick up a notch.

I did the time zone conversions for Nebelhorn:

THURSDAY 23 SEP
Men SP - 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Pairs SP - 10:00pm - 12:20am

FRIDAY 24 SEP
Women SP - 1:00am - 6:30am
RD - 6:30pm - 9:45pm
Men FS - 10:15pm - 3:30am

SATURDAY 25 SEP
Pairs FS - 4:00am - 6:45am
Women FS - 6:10pm - 12:15am

SUNDAY 26 SEP
Free Dance - 12:35am - 4:00am

Foolhardy Ham Lint

All right guys, time for the stress levels to kick up a notch.

I did the time zone conversions for Nebelhorn:

THURSDAY 23 SEP
Men SP - 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Pairs SP - 10:00pm - 12:20am

FRIDAY 24 SEP
Women SP - 1:00am - 6:30am
RD - 6:30pm - 9:45pm
Men FS - 10:15pm - 3:30am

SATURDAY 25 SEP
Pairs FS - 4:00am - 6:45am
Women FS - 6:10pm - 12:15am

SUNDAY 26 SEP
Free Dance - 12:35am - 4:00am
It's do or die for Team Australia.

Here's hoping our brand new pair earns the minimum TES to compete at the 2022 World Championships as well.

misskarne

Goddamn, I don't have enough words to express how proud I am of all the skaters. Anastasia and Hektor's triple twist was chef's kiss and their SBS 3Ts were beautiful. And Brendan and Kailani. Talk about CLUTCH. Both of them pulled out the best skates they've had in literal years at the very moment it mattered most.

Rhythm Dance up first tonight, then hopefully Brendan can back up that clutch SP with an equally clutch FS for that Olympic spot!

Orm Irian

Now I've had a chance to watch all three and yes, I'm very impressed. Brendan and Kailani both looked great out there, and Hektor and Anastasia really do have something about them. Shame about the lift going wonky, but they got down from it safely, which is always the preferable option, and the fall was just pure bad luck. They're a well-matched pair with good lines and timing, and Hektor has that little bit of give and flexibility in his upper body that really helps pairs guys to match the women's lines and expressiveness (and which is notable because the lift work makes it hard for them to maintain). I enjoyed watching them. :)

greenapple

Kailani Craine has a history of pulling out great skates from who knows where at Nebelhorn. She won the event in 2017 and qualified a spot for Australia. I so hope she skates super well in the free on Saturday. I will be so disappointed if she does not make the cut.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Kailani Craine has a history of pulling out great skates from who knows where at Nebelhorn. She won the event in 2017 and qualified a spot for Australia. I so hope she skates super well in the free on Saturday. I will be so disappointed if she does not make the cut.
She looked really pleased with her skate, and the score, too.

Craine is such an entertaining skater to watch when she is on. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of Evgenia Medvedeva and Elizabeth Manley combined.

From the camera angle on screen, I really didn't think the second loop looked underrotated.

Was Shin Amano on the panel, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information