Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

mag

Craine can land the 3lo/3lo. I really wish she would get a new coach. She needs a fresh perspective and stronger technical coaching to get her the confidence back.

Sylvia

TBD

Marco

Craine can land the 3lo/3lo. I really wish she would get a new coach. She needs a fresh perspective and stronger technical coaching to get her the confidence back.

Is there a strong technical coach near where she trains?

Marco

She trains in Southern California so there are probably a few. Eric Millot is the first one that comes to mind.

:respec: How wonderful! if Kailani can have Eric's level in skating basics and flair, she will be great. Eric might not have been consistent on the 3axel himself but the jumps he landed back on those days were wonderful. Didn't Eric also do the 3loop3loop and 3flip3loop (perhaps he was the first to do them even)?

Makes perfect sense.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Alexandrovskaya & Windsor compete in their first competition in almost eleven months. Katia looked very good, but Harley seemed a bit rusty. He stumbled out of the sbs 3T, his spin was shaky, and the overhead lift almost came to a standstill. I wonder if he has fully recovered from his foot injury.

The twist, throw, footwork, and death spiral were all excellent, however.

Given that their season was cut in half, I'm glad they're keeping last year's short, though.

It must be frustrating being a pair skater, when one partner is 'on' and the other isn't. Here's hoping they can put it together in the free.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

:respec: How wonderful! if Kailani can have Eric's level in skating basics and flair, she will be great. Eric might not have been consistent on the 3axel himself but the jumps he landed back on those days were wonderful. Didn't Eric also do the 3loop3loop and 3flip3loop (perhaps he was the first to do them even)?

Makes perfect sense.

Millot was the first male to land a 3loop/3loop at the 1995 Series Final in France. I saw him do it again at the 1996 World Championships in Edmonton, too.

Unless I missed reading something, I don't think @mag said that Craine would be training with Eric Millot, though.

It must be very hard for a skater and their family to leave a long-time coach if technical improvements and better results are no longer forthcoming. I often wonder how much more successful a skater Alissa Czisny may have been if she had gone to Yuka Sato and Jason Dunjen from the outset. Prior to that with her former trainer, her technique was never very secure, and as a result, Alissa was labelled a nervous skater.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

It was their first competition in almost eleven months, and we don't even know how recently Harley was able to get back into full training following his foot injury. They need to rebuild; expecting them to start at their previous peak point is unrealistic. Give them time and they'll get there again, I'm sure.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Urgh. Katia and Harley seem like a mere shadow of the team they were at this event two years ago. This was difficult to watch.

I sincerely hope they can pull it together and find some kind of form at Skate America in a few weeks.

FFS, it's September. Good grief. Why do people do this, lose their heads over early-season issues?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It was their first competition in almost eleven months, and we don't even know how recently Harley was able to get back into full training following his foot injury. They need to rebuild; expecting them to start at their previous peak point is unrealistic. Give them time and they'll get there again, I'm sure.

Thank you. I'm only hoping they are okay.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
A few updates:

Whatever kept Brendan from Nepela, I don't think it was an injury, judging by the beautiful 3A and gorgeous 4S he posted on instagram today. He's at Shanghai trophy this weekend, skates around 5:15pm Friday (SP) and 5pm Saturday (FS) our time.

Chantelle posted on her and Andrew's Facebook page that she's injured :( No word of what it is or how long they will be out.

Also, is Andrew not entered into any CS events as a singles skater? Do we think he's switched over entirely? I will be a little sad if so.

starrynight

Katia and Harley seem like a mere shadow of the team they were at this event two years ago. This was difficult to watch.

I think they were a team that quickly 'grew a second pair of legs' for the impending Olympics and out of the heady rush of the quick ascent to the top in juniors.

Whereas now the sprint is over and it's the steady plod of the marathon to hone their skills from the bottom up.

For me, what I would like to see is them work more on developing a connection to their music and each other in the programs. We know they can do the elements well when fully trained.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I think they were a team that quickly 'grew a second pair of legs' for the impending Olympics and out of the heady rush of the quick ascent to the top in juniors.

Whereas now the sprint is over and it's the steady plod of the marathon to hone their skills from the bottom up.

For me, what I would like to see is them work more on developing a connection to their music and each other in the programs. We know they can do the elements well when fully trained.

Sometimes, even top teams struggle finding the right music which allows them to develop a connection to whatever they are skating to, and of course to each other. Zabiiako and Enbert are probably the most obvious examples of a great technical team who have little chemistry. But thanks to solid consistency, they have been able to crack the world podium.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Holly Harris and Jason Chan are listed as competing in Senior Dance at the upcoming Victorian State Figure Skating Championships next week. According to the event schedule, Harris & Chan will be skating both a Rhythm Dance and a Free Dance.

Orm Irian

Chantelle posted on her and Andrew's Facebook page that she's injured :( No word of what it is or how long they will be out.

Also, is Andrew not entered into any CS events as a singles skater? Do we think he's switched over entirely? I will be a little sad if so.

Sorry to hear about Chantelle. Andrew isn't currently listed for any singles events on the ISA spreadsheet, so it's possible he may have switched to dance only.

I haven't heard anything re James Min recently - hope he's doing okay. He was recovering from an injury too, wasn't he?

Re. Harley, Katia and music, I do think the Spartacus music (FS) is an interesting choice for them. Harley seemed to be leaning into it a bit more than Katia at Nebelhorn, but it suits both of them and could help them to develop a stronger sense of the dramatic over the course of the season.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Sorry to hear about Chantelle. Andrew isn't currently listed for any singles events on the ISA spreadsheet, so it's possible he may have switched to dance only.

I haven't heard anything re James Min recently - hope he's doing okay. He was recovering from an injury too, wasn't he?

Andrew, Jordan, and Ryan Dodds are all on the entry list in senior men's singles for the upcoming Queensland State Championships in a few weeks.

James Min is on the entry list in senior men's singles for the upcoming South Australian State Championships in a few weeks, too.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Holly Harris and Jason Chan are listed as competing in Senior Dance at the upcoming Victorian State Figure Skating Championships next week. According to the event schedule, Harris & Chan will be skating both a Rhythm Dance and a Free Dance.
hi...will anything be online for this? if not r u able to update us on how they do?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

hi...will anything be online for this? if not r u able to update us on how they do?

The state championships are hosted by Ice Skating Victoria. So, the event will have likely live results and maybe a livestream, too. I'll probably know closer to the competition date in a week or so.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

Lots of Aussies in the lineup for the Asian Open Challenger event! Glad to see James Min has been cleared to skate now, and I hope that whatever Chantelle's injury is it's healed up in time - I want to see that RHPS program!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information