Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Andy is a good skater. But he tends to speed around like a demon and then the elements suffer. He needs to calm down because he can do it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I thought that Amelie Tabor was a little under marked at the JGP Chelyabinsk. Great to see another Australian junior lady just up from novice doing so well on the international circuit.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

About a decade ago I was asked if I would like to consider becoming a judge.

I turned down the suggestion point blank. While my involvement in the sport is a serious hobby at the best of times, judging would probably take it up a level into a form of self-financed work. Just the amount of required reading, workshops and travel alone, are a huge sacrifice to one’s free time.

Many times I have seen how differently skaters practice, versus performing under the pressure of competition.

I could only imagine how difficult it would be watching skaters do things they could improve, without being tempted to give my input.

I bet there must be a very fine line between being perceived as offering welcome feedback versus giving unsolicited advice.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Another PB for Matilda and William at ACI - not the FD individually, but they improved on their overall total score by about 2 points, which is great! Their FD is here. Love the opening use of Jenny of Oldstones.

They're not afraid to challenge themselves, those two, and it makes me happy to watch them do it. :)

Such a great team to watch in person, too. They have come a long way in terms of strength, unison, and chemistry. I really like both of their programs this year as well.

Aussie Willy

About a decade ago I was asked if I would like to consider becoming a judge.

I turned down the suggestion point blank. While my involvement in the sport is a serious hobby at the best of times, judging would probably take it up a level into a form of self-financed work. Just the amount of required reading, workshops and travel alone, are a huge sacrifice to one’s free time.

Many times I have seen how differently skaters practice, versus performing under the pressure of competition.

I could only imagine how difficult it would be watching skaters do things they could improve, without being tempted to give my input.

I bet there must be a very fine line between being perceived as offering welcome feedback versus giving unsolicited advice.
You are right. It cost to be a volunteer in the sport. I think I have spent about $2000 this year so far. But where I live if I didn't do it I wouldn't keep my skills up to date. Still more events to come. Btw this is only local, not international.

However there is formal feedback from testing or competitions. But it always nice to be able to say to a skater well done. And you just learn about how to do it.

Skaters and coaches who don't ask for feedback lose out. How else are you meant to improve otherwise.

Aussie Willy

Thank you for the heads-up.

Here's hoping the ISA website can be updated with that information, too.
Yep I am sure the volunteer who I personally know that updates that part of the website will do it when he gets a moment to do it.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Good-o. There seem to be a few gaps at the moment.
Well as I said we are volunteers who manage it. Sorry if things are not done in the timeframes you would like to see but most of us are working full time and do this on top of our regular jobs

Dobre

A heads-up that Holly Harris & Jason Chan skated their rhythm dance at the Souvenir Georges-Éthier club event in Canada this week.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Last edited:

Dobre

I hope that ISA gets them an international immediately, so that they can qualify a third team for Australia at Four Continents.

They won't be getting an international immediately. They didn't skate an FD, which means it probably isn't ready. And it is a nice score, very promising. But it is also a club competition so there is no comparing it with a score earned in an international event. Give them time. There is no advantage in rushing to debut in ice dance if you aren't ready. Better to start off when you are ready to make a good impression.

Reactions: mag

Aussie Willy

I hope that ISA gets them an international immediately, so that they can qualify a third team for Australia at Four Continents.
Not that simple and there are other considerations that have to be taken into account which I am probably more aware of than anyone else here.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It's so nice to see Holly Harris back in competition.

Parts of the event appear to be up on Daily Motion. I'm currently trying to track down footage of their skate.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

They won't be getting an international immediately. They didn't skate an FD, which means it probably isn't ready. And it is a nice score, very promising. But it is also a club competition so there is no comparing it with a score earned in an international event. Give them time. There is no advantage in rushing to debut in ice dance if you aren't ready. Better to start off when you are ready to make a good impression.

Are you involved with Australian skating in any way? You sound very connected.

Dobre

Are you involved with Australian skating in any way? You sound very connected.

Not connected at all. You just have to be ready to compete a free dance before you can compete internationally. It's great to see that Holly & Jason are going to both return to competition. They can't have been together very long because post-Worlds we heard that she was a possibility to skate with Logan Bye. So it's not been long and she's never competed in dance before. Hence, there's no big rush here. Let's let them get their feet under them. It's nice that they competed this weekend. It's a start. And this is a long-term discipline.

Reactions: mag

Sylvia

TBD
It's so nice to see Holly Harris back in competition.

Parts of the event appear to be up on Daily Motion. I'm currently trying to track down footage of their skate.
Patinage Quebec is in the process of uploading event videos to their DM channel from 2 different competitions held this past weekend. The priority seems to be Quebec Sub Sectionals, which is a qualifying competition for the women, and the most recent videos were uploaded 2 days ago. If/when I see the Senior RD video, I will post the link in this thread.

Marco

Congratulations to Kailani Craine for placing 5th at Autumn Classic International 2019!

I believe her short program jump combo was supposed to be a 3loop3loop but she only did 3loop2toe. She attempted 6 triples in the free including 2axel - 3sal which was UR but at least she is going for the 3sal again.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Congratulations to Kailani Craine for placing 5th at Autumn Classic International 2019!

I believe her short program jump combo was supposed to be a 3loop3loop but she only did 3loop2toe. She attempted 6 triples in the free including 2axel - 3sal which was UR but at least she is going for the 3sal again.

Great to see Craine on the comeback trail after the disappointment of Saitama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information