Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I will be there this week working on the panel. But before anyone asks unfortunately no reports. Will be too busy.

Sylvia

TBD
Hope the competition went smoothly for you, @Aussie Willy!

I've copied out all the Oceania Novice international results in the Kiss & Cry thread (videos can be replayed) here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...20-2018-in-melbourne-aus.103916/#post-5364918

Cross-posting here:

Ice Skating Australia shared 2 brief videos of the coaches seminar on their FB page:

Brian Orser speaking to the coaches on the ice: https://www.facebook.com/iceskatingaus/videos/vb.136415049731833/2106144429425542/?type=2&theater

65 coaches from Australia, New Zealand, Cambodia, Thailand, South Korea, Malaysia, Singapore are participating: https://www.facebook.com/iceskatingaus/videos/vb.136415049731833/2106153646091287/?type=2&theater

Photos from the Oceania competition and coaches seminar: https://www.facebook.com/pg/iceskatingaus/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2101338616572790

Aussie Willy

Hope the competition went smoothly for you, @Aussie Willy!
Yes it went very well. Ran smoothly and well organised. Some nice performances, particularly in Advanced Novice Ladies.

Only issue for me and a couple of others was the traffic. Nightmare getting into the city and nightmare going out. And it wasn't even peak hour.

BTW - I did find out that potentially 4CC could be held at Docklands rink. TV coverage is the main issue and that is in negotiation.

Dobre

Adelle Morrison is on ice partner search.

Morrison & Rokachev (2017 national ice dance silver medalists) were signed up for several events last season, but as far as I can recall withdrew from everything and didn't compete.

Sylvia

TBD

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Adelle Morrison is on ice partner search.

Morrison & Rokachev (2017 national ice dance silver medalists) were signed up for several events last season, but as far as I can recall withdrew from everything and didn't compete.

Oh, that's a shame. I only saw them twice but I rather liked them.

Aussie Willy

Not related to competitive skating, but Melbourne now has another ice rink in the northern suburb of Reservoir called IceHQ. It used to be an inline hockey rink but the guy who owns it has been wanting to do ice for years. Opened to the public for the first time today and I went had a skate. He has put a lot of work into it and there is still a lot of work to do. Still it had the best toilets I have seen in an ice rink. And the ice was really good.

The rink is located is in a residential area next to a recreation reserve with lots of parking and will focus quite a bit on hockey. However he is keen to get a figure skating program going, including learn to skate. I look forward to seeing how it goes. It can only mean that our sport in Victoria will continue to develop and grow.

synchrogirl17

Not related to competitive skating, but Melbourne now has another ice rink in the northern suburb of Reservoir called IceHQ. It used to be an inline hockey rink but the guy who owns it has been wanting to do ice for years. Opened to the public for the first time today and I went had a skate. He has put a lot of work into it and there is still a lot of work to do. Still it had the best toilets I have seen in an ice rink. And the ice was really good.

The rink is located is in a residential area next to a recreation reserve with lots of parking and will focus quite a bit on hockey. However he is keen to get a figure skating program going, including learn to skate. I look forward to seeing how it goes. It can only mean that our sport in Victoria will continue to develop and grow.

That's great! It was such a shame that the sport declined in Victoria simply because of the rink situation. Looking forward to your future :)

Aussie Willy

That's great! It was such a shame that the sport declined in Victoria simply because of the rink situation. Looking forward to your future :)
Since Docklands opened our skaters have developed very well and are doing very well competitively. I know with the new rink the location is great for a number of skaters who live in the area. There is also a major shopping centre about 5 minutes away, a number of schools in the area and the northern suburbs of Melbourne have been a major growth corridor. So it will be a great facility for people living in the north. Good thing is parking is free too which can't be said for Docklands which is up to $40 for a full day. Even if you get a voucher you reduce your parking to $20 for the day. Which when you are judging there costs a lot of money.

sammyf

"WA first ever Benchmark event" will take place near Perth next weekend, June 23-24: https://wafsc.org/swantrophy/

The other benchmark comps are WINTERSUN (in Brisbane, July 11-15, 2018) and CRYSTAL CHALLENGE (in Melbourne, August 10-13, 2018).

According to the National Calendar these are the benchmark events-

May 16-20 Oceania Novice International
June 8-11 Hollins Trophy
June 23-24 Swan Trophy
July 11-15 Wintersun
August 10-15 Crystal Challenge
Sept 29-Oct 1 NSW State Champs
Oct 13-14 VIC State Champs
Oct 17-20 QLD State Champs
Nov 30-Dec 7 AUS National Champs

Aussie Willy

Thanks for the interview with Brooklee.

Interesting that she says about practising the program without the music to capture the changes. So if you were watching the program you would have an idea what she was skating to. I really like that method.

Marco

I am not able to visit the link at work, did she mention anything about pairs?

sammyf

International assignments are up here http://www.isa.org.au/high-performance-and-athlete-development

Surprised Karina Akopova/Hector Giotopoulos Moore didnt get a pairs JGP as they are skating at Crystal Challenge soon. Maybe she didnt get released?

JGP AUT Darian Kaptich, Amelia Jackson, Matilda Friend/William Badaoui
JGP CAN James Min, Lucy Sori Yun, Matilda Friend/William Badaoui
JGP SLO James Min

New Junior dance team of Jessica Palfreyman/Nick McCreary
New Senior dance team of India Nette/Eron Westwood

Senior dance teams Adele Morrison/Demid Rokachev, Kimberley Hew-Low/Timothy McKernan, and Micol Carmignani/Mitchell Frenchham are all missing so it looks like they split?

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/ Harley Windsor are the only skaters flagged "Subject to completion of ISA Athlete Agreement" I wonder why they didn't fill it out and it was important enough to flag?

Dobre

Senior dance teams Adele Morrison/Demid Rokachev, Kimberley Hew-Low/Timothy McKernan, and Micol Carmignani/Mitchell Frenchham are all missing so it looks like they split?

Adele Morrison is on Ice Partner Search.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/ Harley Windsor are the only skaters flagged "Subject to completion of ISA Athlete Agreement" I wonder why they didn't fill it out and it was important enough to flag?

That sounds very mysterious. You would think something like that should remain a private matter between the skaters and the association.

Whatever the issue is, I hope it is sorted out soon and doesn't jeopardise their season.

misskarne

*giggles* Either Andrew's learned to teleport, or there are quite a few placeholders in there.

Probably just a "whoops!" moment for Katia and Harley, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Australia has a new junior pair with a lot of potential. (They have been training together since this time last year.)

They are following the successful model of pairing a Russian girl with an Australian man, with the same coaching team that Alexandrovskaya & Windsor had when they started out, too.

They skated what would appear to be a solid short program at a local national competition today in Melbourne.

This is the pdf sheet of their scores for anyone interested.

http://results.iceskatingvictoria.org.au/live/JuniorPairs_SP_Scores.pdf

misskarne

Australia has a new junior pair with a lot of potential. (They have been training together since this time last year.)

They are following the successful model of pairing a Russian girl with an Australian man, with the same coaching team that Alexandrovskaya & Windsor had when they started out, too.

They skated what would appear to be a solid short program at a local national competition today in Melbourne.

That's interesting, I never would have pegged Hektor as a pairs boy, I didn't think he was tall enough, but then I also haven't seen him skate in quite a while so maybe he's grown a bit. They did a triple twist?

Australia's Brendan Kerry has been invited to a second ISU Grand Prix Series event this season. He will be skating at the Rostelecom Cup.

Competition will be held from November 16 - 18 in Moscow, Russia.

I've been rooting for him to get Zandron's spot from the moment he was crossed off. So pleased he did!

misskarne

Just looking over the protocols from Crystal and it looks like Paris Stephens has gone back to singles now that Matt Dodds has retired.

barbarafan

I am getting an error 404.

Do you have any news of how Alexandrovskaya & Windsor are doing in MTL. Hoped to see them at summer skate but they did not compete.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I am getting an error 404.

Do you have any news of how Alexandrovskaya & Windsor are doing in MTL. Hoped to see them at summer skate but they did not compete.

Urgh. The organising committee appears to have shifted and archived documents around since yesterday.

http://results.iceskatingvictoria.org.au/2018/08/2018-08-10/JuniorPairs_SP_Scores.pdf

As a tune - up to both of their Grand Prix Series events, Alexandrovskaya & Windsor are scheduled to compete next month at the ISU Challenger Series US Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City, followed by the Finlandia Trophy in Espoo in October.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information