ASHLEY WAGNER...RETIRED?

FSWer

Say, I read on wikipedia that Ashley is retired. Does anyone happen to know when she did and why? Because I'm wondering if it's because she didn't make the last Olympics. Is she ok? Thanks.

skylark

Oh, I'm sorry to see her go.

Ashley also has responsibilities and involvement in speaking to figure skating groups for USFS, including young skaters, about standing up to sexual harassment and abuse. I think she's still coaching, and she occasionally teaches group lessons, teaching about choreography and how to express it.

I've followed her on IG off and on. The most important thing she's said is that she's so much happier now, with diverse passions and activities, than she was when she was competing. But she also is proud of her skating achievements, and she appreciates all that she achieved much more now than she did at the time.

I miss her skating so much! but I'm happy for her.

Marco

I miss Ashley's skating. She wasn't the best skater or had the most complex choreography, but there is something about the way she skated with the music that made her special. People can call her skating laboured and simplistic but for me, she spent time to pace her skating to the music and make elements important, which is rare. All these other top girls had a million transitions but none had much to do with the music and none lasted for over a second. For a lot of these girls, any music could have been playing and the skating would still be the same, not with Ashley. She always made the music count.

I honestly really miss the polished elegance from her Nicks / Mills era. With Raf and SLB she got the big elements and the iconic programs, but they had let the perfection go.

Another reason for her retirement is the fact she has two torn hip labrums.

Oh no. I didn't know that part. Is that why she had been so off since 2016 Worlds?

Last edited:

bardtoob

For a lot of these girls, any music could have been playing and the skating would still be the same, not with Ashley. She always made the music count.

I honestly really miss the polished elegance from her Nicks / Mills era.

Boy, wasn't she stunning at 2012 Nationals.

cbd1235

Another reason for her retirement is the fact she has two torn hip labrums.

Where / when was this announced? It looked like she had a hip injury in 2018 season but I don't remember any actual confirmation.

Eeyora1

Where / when was this announced? It looked like she had a hip injury in 2018 season but I don't remember any actual confirmation.

I believe it was in an Instagram post or story some time ago when she was plugging PVolve resistance bands. She stated exercising has been hard for her because of her injury.

She’s moved onto Pelaton now!

Bookseller

Ashley competed in a small all ladies competition in Albany last summer. When she got on the ice to start skating, I could see by the look on her face that she was wondering why she was doing it. She skated, she did ok, she enjoyed being with the skaters. When she got home, she posted to her instagram that she realized that she was enjoying her post competition career more than competing. She was done. Life is scary for her now. All her summer ice shows are canceled, and her coaching gigs etc. She just bought a new home. So it's a challenge. But she's doing her best and hopefully things will turn around for her. But it won't be easy. I hope that once the rinks reopen, she can get coaching business. But ice shows probably won't happen for a while. Skaters post competition are all going to be having issues right now. It's a scary time. Ashley is resourceful. I think she'll make it work. I hope so!

Japanfan

Boy, wasn't she stunning at 2012 Nationals.

That felt like less than one minute!

I love Ashley so much because she was a lone voice speaking out against the anti-gay politics of the Sochi Olympics. Or, maybe one of few voices? Most skaters just don't want to rack the boat.

And now she is at the vanguard of addressing sexual assault in FS. She bravely came forward in recounting her experience with Coughlin.

She deserves much admiration, and I hope she goes far in life as an advocate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information