Ashley Wagner on her competitive future, new roles as coach and TV commentator, skating in shows

Marco

I was waiting for that final question. I think her answer was telling enough. She is not going to compete this season if she hasn't made up her mind by now ad she doesn't even have a coach in Boston.

Not that this, or for her to retire from competitive skating, would be a surprise in any way.

Carolla5501

I was waiting for that final question. I think her answer was telling enough. She is not going to compete this season if she hasn't made up her mind by now ad she doesn't even have a coach in Boston.

Not that this, or for her to retire from competitive skating, would be a surprise in any way.

To me that final question sounded like she's close to saying "it's over" I think she's aware that she can't keep up technically so she would have to go the Caroline route... which will win you an Italian National Championship, but probably won't get you out of the US Nationals to Worlds etc....

Kathryn2001

I actually thought Ashley did a good job for the first time out as commentator. She got better as she went along; I can see why starting with Pairs would be a big hurdle. Haven't watched her doing Men or Dance yet but I thought her comments on Ladies was quite good and many of her comments intriguing.

SpeedySucks

I quite enjoyed her commentary on the pairs - she was very critical of the mistakes from the U.S. pairs, and deservedly so.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I only saw & heard Ashley in the ladies SPs last night. As I mentioned in another thread, I did not like her delivery, in a Sing-Song manner. Neither did I care for her non-stop talking...but it’s the delivery & constantly-modulating tone of voice that was truly aggravating. I came close to muting my TV but did not want to shut off the music.
There’s always a hope that she will improve her delivery manner in time, as did Ryan Bradley, who used to get on my nerves but is ok now.

Chris_E

Thanks for posting the article. I suspected that she would lean towards retirement after seeing the technical demands required to succeed this season. Even at her best she is prone to under-rotations and the new scoring isn't too kind to that and nor is it kind of flutzing. I'll miss her on the competitive scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information