Another PAIRS ROLLER SKATING masterpiece

Sk8swan

Ratings
I posted about artistic roller skating here in the past and I thought this needed to be shared. This young pair is probably the best in the history of the sport, unmatched technically and I would say also artistically. Venerucci who won 10 world titles with different partners could have been artistically slightly better than these too, but they are 19 and 22 rispectively so they can still improve. Less than a month ago at Italian nationals they were able to perform this 'masterpiece' inspired to Leonardo da Vinci's sculpture work, despite having lost their coach (probably the best roller skating coach ever) in a car accident in March. That tragedy put their career in jeopardy, as they were both thinking about giving up the sport without their mentor.... needless to say luckily they decided to continue to honour his work with them.

Enjoy: https://youtu.be/GZYwM2XbZ8c

Bonita

Ratings
Thanks, now I have to get a tissue! That was gorgeous!

I'm such a sucker for spins on roller. I can land my singles on roller, but my best spin is a terrible one foot upright.

I went to U.S. Nationals years ago in Nebraska and was sobbing during some of the pairs spins. I also cried buckets the one time I saw Lucinda Ruh live.

Yes, I am weird. Thanks for sharing. Ridiculous it's not an Olympic sport!

Sk8swan

Ratings
I'm afraid Roller Skating will never become an Olympic sport because it's not spread enough worldwide and there is basically only one nation dominating the sport. Very unfair to these exceptional athletes though...

Sk8swan

Ratings
One would think it would be more widespread because it is cheaper than ice
Not being an Olympic sport is what prevents roller skating from spreading to other nations who have no tradition in the sport... so basically, there is no way out!

Winnipeg

Ratings
If it was made an Oly sport, I think other nations would jump to it especially nations that do not have a lot of ice like Brazil, etc

Sk8swan

Ratings
If it was made an Oly sport, I think other nations would jump to it especially nations that do not have a lot of ice like Brazil, etc
Yes sure but the problem is that the IOC has no will or interest in adding a sport that is not matching some criteria like "worldwide spread".

Seerek

Ratings
If I'm not mistaken, the previous applications for Summer Olympics inclusion were for a full suite of roller sports, so roller hockey, speed skating and even roller derby were also part of the application.

Sk8swan

Ratings
If I'm not mistaken, the previous applications for Summer Olympics inclusion were for a full suite of roller sports, so roller hockey, speed skating and even roller derby were also part of the application.
And iirc only skateboarding made it to Tokyo 2020

Sk8swan

Ratings
It almost looks like ice (the surface is so white?) I am used to seeing gym like floors or brown wood or something?
Competitions can be held on different surfaces. I would say that it has become more common over the past few years to build a special skating surface on the arena floor and white color has been picked more often (imo precisely to create the ice effect ;) )

Cachoo

Ratings
That was an Olympic quality program. They could put this in the Summer Olympics and find viewers without any problem.
(Certainly fs universe would be interested.)

Sk8swan

Ratings
That was an Olympic quality program. They could put this in the Summer Olympics and find viewers without any problem.
(Certainly fs universe would be interested.)
That's why I shared it here 😉 It's two different sports for sure yet they are very similar. So I'm pretty sure ice skating fans would enjoy appreciate it... expecially in case of extremely talented athletes like these two and such high quality performance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)