All Thing PBS

dardar1126

Missed it. I suppose it's available online?

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365159976/

THE MAKING OF A LADY
Full Episode
ADD
Aired: 02/09/201401:25:55
Expires: 03/08/2014 Rating: NR

During her duties as a lady’s companion Emily meets her employer’s wealthy widower nephew, Lord James Walderhurst. Accepting his practical if unromantic marriage proposal, Emily finds solace in the company of Walderhurst’s nephew Alec Osborne and his glamorous wife Hester. After Lord James leaves to rejoin his regiment Emily, alone with the Osbornes increasingly comes to fear for her life.

Artemis@BC

I'm sorry to hear this...I liked The Paradise better than Mr. Selfridge.

Ditto. I really enjoyed The Paradise, but just couldn't get into Mr S at all -- can't stand the title character.

I think "cancelled" is a slight exaggeration though. British series aren't designed like North American ones, with automatic expectation of 7+ years. Many are only ever designed to run a single season, and it's only when they're hugely popular -- and when all the principals want to come back -- that they're brought back for more.

ETA: We will at least get more Paradise on this side of the pond (or, I'm assuming we will), as PBS has only aired season 1 so far and there's a second 8-episode season that's already aired in the UK. So yay for that! Looking forward to the continuation of the story, and especially seeing Denise take on more of a leadership role at the store (I hope!).

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Another murder/thriller one-off airing this Sunday after Downton Abbey: Murder on the Home Front.

"With help from his secretary, a pathologist employs new forensic techniques to help catch a serial killer in 1940s London."
stars Patrick Kennedy, Tamzin Merchant, James Fleet, Emerald Fennell, David Sturzaker

Foyle's War meets CSI?

dinakt

Neither British theater no Benedict seemed to be on PBS in NYC. Bummer, but might as well, I am completely swamped between intense work and Olympics. Hopefully they'll have it online, or repeat it!

dardar1126

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

Another murder/thriller one-off airing this Sunday after Downton Abbey: Murder on the Home Front.

Foyle's War meets CSI?

I quite liked it. There were a few things that had me wondering "were they really able to do that in 1941?" but overall it was well done. Some nice character stuff, as well as a nice reference to what I have no difficulty believing was the political agenda during wartime.

It's listed as a one-off on imdb, but they definitely left things open if they wanted to do more.

dardar1126

Twitter:

The Last Ship ‏@LastShipMusical 6h
Tune in to @PBS tonight at 9pm ET to hear @OfficialSting perform songs from @LastShipMusical. For details, visit: http://ow.ly/tQ7NK

Great Performances ‏@GPerfPBS 3h
Time to meet some shipbuilders! Here's Tommy and Peggy on "Shipyard" from #TheLastShip! Airing tonight at 9 on @PBS! http://youtu.be/Uhj51UJEyQE

EDIT:

PBS ‏@PBS 34m
Preview @OfficialSting performance of "What Have We Got?" from The Last Ship http://youtu.be/Tx1XuR-q8xs via @GPerfPBS tonight at 9/8c

Last edited:

dardar1126

Facebook:

PBS
Team USA still has a chance to bring home gold from Sochi in hockey. Get up to speed on the US Paralympic sled hockey team. (And learn more about them tonight at 10/9c on the new documentary "Ice Warriors.")

Artemis@BC

I just spotted that the latest -- and last -- season of Doc Martin will start on Mar 21 on the Seattle PBS. I think some of the other affiliates have already begun airing this season.

I personally thought they should have ended the series at the end of season 4 ... but I'm still happy to have more.

tamuno

I quite liked it. There were a few things that had me wondering "were they really able to do that in 1941?" but overall it was well done. Some nice character stuff, as well as a nice reference to what I have no difficulty believing was the political agenda during wartime.

It's listed as a one-off on imdb, but they definitely left things open if they wanted to do more.

Did you catch Sampson from Downton Abbey? I saw the season 2 of The Paradise and hated it.

A.H.Black

Has everyone been enduring begging season. I'm sorry but I am so tired of Suzi Orman, Wayne Dyer and all the others. My local stations had a "classical music" program. Turned out it was so they could sell the CDs. It's like one long infomercial week.

dardar1126

A reminder that the new seasons of Call the Midwife and Mr. Selfridge begin this Sunday, March 30th. :)

Artemis@BC

Very much looking forward to the return of Call the Midwife -- and since CTV airs Once Upon a Time at 7:00, there's no conflict. Yay!

Selfridge is not for me, but I know there are a lot of fans of this one so I'm happy for you.

Johnny_Fever

Since some of these are getting muddled up in the Downton Abbey thread, I thought I'd put in a post for the return dates of some of our favourite British series:

Call the Midwife - Mar 30
Mr. Selfridge - Mar 30
The Bletchley Circle - Apr 21

Any others?

I don't know what Masterpiece will be showing on Mar 9-16-13, though. The last episode of Downton Abbey should be done Mar 2 if I've done my math right, and the PBS website only has the Masterpiece schedule up to Feb 23.
I'm glad that's coming back. I regretted missing it the first time around.

Skate Talker

Arrgh! Even after the reminder I got busy and forgot about the Call The Midwife season premiere. I just checked my listings and even though I get 2 different PBS channels this episode will not be repeated. DOH!

dardar1126

Arrgh! Even after the reminder I got busy and forgot about the Call The Midwife season premiere. I just checked my listings and even though I get 2 different PBS channels this episode will not be repeated. DOH!

Check your late overnight schedule; they may show it in the wee hours...my affiliate does.

If not, there'll probably be a link tomorrow to watch it online.

EDIT: Via Twitter...

PBS ‏@PBS 55m
If you missed last night's Call the Midwife, you can stream it online @ http://to.pbs.org/1e3HQC8 #MidwifePBS (what did you think of it?)

EDIT2:

PBS ‏@PBS 16m
Did you miss last night's season premiere of Mr. Selfridge? Stream it online @ http://to.pbs.org/P9jQrB #SelfridgePBS @MasterpiecePBS

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

^ PBS streaming is geoblocked, Canadians can't access (although PBS is happy to take our money during pledge drives ... :mad: ).

Skate Talker, if I find another source I'll PM you.

Skate Talker

Thank you so much dardar1126.

Artemis@BC, I don't know why it won't play for you but it is not geo-blocked for me here - maybe my local PBS affiliate has some sort of agreement that allows it to play??
Maybe try using the Change Station link to change to Prairie Public.

Last edited:

Artemis@BC

^ Ok, just tried and it worked! They must have changed their settings or policy, I've never had PBS streaming work for me before.

So that's good news indeed!

dardar1126

Twitter:

Retweeted by PBS
Great Performances ‏@GPerfPBS 16m
We hope you "Catch Us If You Can" as the #DC5 and Beyond: Glad All Over airs TONIGHT at 8/7c on @PBS! http://youtu.be/HO7I-mQBpYc

I always liked the Dave Clark 5! :)

EDIT:

PBS ‏@PBS 13m
Did you miss "The Dave Clark Five - Glad All Over" on @GPerfPBS last night? It's available online for 1 week @ http://to.pbs.org/1qirP2B

I really enjoyed this documentary...lots of great interviews with the band member (some have since died), Paul McCartney, Elton John, et al. I'd forgotten how many great hit song DC5 had!! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information