Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orm Irian

Elite skating is already a very small world with everyone competing over partners, getting the best coaching/choreo, and being hyper focused on the next competition. It doesn't surprise me that the skating culture has become so toxic, there's no way to change it. Morals aren't as important as winning a gold medal. No wonder why ISU looks the other way.
I would argue that it's not so much that the ISU looks the other way as that the ISU actively works to build, maintain and promote that toxic culture.

Just like most Old Boys' networks do.

MsZem

I see the sea
For someone like Bruno (who is a very different person) he went along with the ride for 4 years and reached his goal (quite spectacularly in the end). But again, not really surprised that connection has died down since.

From a 2018 interview with Aljona's husband, Liam Cross:
When she came with Bruno, did you ever think they were together or was there any idea about that?

No. It didn’t cross my mind. They weren’t spending much time together… they were kind of really separated. They had their working lives and their private lives were very separated. I kind of picked that up in the first instance.
But he also talks about his own good relationship with Bruno's wife (then fiancée) Sophie, and how helpful it was to be able to go through the ups and downs of watching from the sidelines with her.

I don't know why specifically Bruno is upset. Maybe he planned on some show skating opportunities. Maybe he found out from the announcement and felt like he was owed more. Maybe he's not impressed with her choice of partner. But Robin Szolkowy moved on, and I feel like there are good things in store for Bruno as well.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
The really good abusers chip away at you over time, just pushing the line a bit each time, until the next thing you know, you are accepting treatment that you never thought you would. No one is immune from this even though some people may have better defenses than others.

My daughter had a very manipulative boyfriend who exploited her sense of empathy to control her and keep a hold on her. I had to go to the school at one point after he got himself moved into her math class. Some of her teachers was very surprised as they viewed her as a very outgoing, social and confident person. And she was but because of him she started experiencing panic attacks, anxiety and alienation from their friend group because she was viewed as heartless for finally trying her best to ignore his constant suicidal threats if she didn't stay with him. To this day I wish I saw it earlier because there was damage done that still lingers to this day. They always find a way and it's no reflection on the victim. She got calls 1-2 years after she removed herself (literally) from their lives with apologies for not believing and helping her back then after they all saw him do the same thing to another mutual friend. But because my daughter was seen as stronger and more outgoing they were also manipulated by him into disbelieving her. The more recent victim was viewed as weaker so easier for them to see her as the victim.

ballettmaus

I think competing is her life and she can't bear to give it up.
Skating has dictated her life and it looks a little bit like she has difficulties finding a new purpose in life to me.

I saw ads for workshops that were meant to help you find a 2nd career once your dance career is over when I was taking classes at the dance school that is connected to Hubbard Street in Chicago. It was the first time I ever saw something like that and I don't know if they have the same for skaters or other athletes but I think they definitely should. The difficulty and mental impact of transitioning from a life dictated by sport to after shouldn't be underestimated.

skategal

Bunny mama
From a 2018 interview with Aljona's husband, Liam Cross:

But he also talks about his own good relationship with Bruno's wife (then fiancée) Sophie, and how helpful it was to be able to go through the ups and downs of watching from the sidelines with her.

I don't know why specifically Bruno is upset. Maybe he planned on some show skating opportunities. Maybe he found out from the announcement and felt like he was owed more. Maybe he's not impressed with her choice of partner. But Robin Szolkowy moved on, and I feel like there are good things in store for Bruno as well.
I’m not convinced Bruno is upset.

He is still following Alijona on Instagram contrary to earlier reports on this thread and all he has posted is something about “family is the best way to think about other things.”

He’s probably shaking his head and rolling his eyes like the rest of us are and trying to comprehend it.

But no real signs of being upset….at least not yet.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
So, if TJ is just a temporary partner, which US pairs men do we see as reasonable potential partners for her? Looking at this past winter's medalists at Nationals... Would Brendan dump Alexa? What about Brian Johnson? We all know Jessica has issues landing her jumps consistently. Would Tim appreciate a smaller partner than Ashley? Would Misha jump at a chance to skate with a more expressive partner? What about Danny O'Shea? Are there any other potentially decent options that aren't a longterm project?

Orm Irian

My impression is that Bruno was done with skating himself when he left Oberstdorf to open his new training centre in France.
With an extended stop-off in Switzerland in between, of course. He was coaching at the Tissot Arena in Biel/Bienne for at least a couple of years, as I recall.

I agree that he doesn't sound remotely upset, but does sound very much as though he's determined to avoid drama!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
So, if TJ is just a temporary partner, which US pairs men do we see as reasonable potential partners for her? Looking at this past winter's medalists at Nationals... Would Brendan dump Alexa? What about Brian Johnson? We all know Jessica has issues landing her jumps consistently. Would Tim appreciate a smaller partner than Ashley? Would Misha jump at a chance to skate with a more expressive partner? What about Danny O'Shea? Are there any other potentially decent options that aren't a longterm project?
If Nyman can throw her and do the lifts, then they could win US nationals. Her jumps are stronger than any US female pair skater. Even if they can't go to the Olympics, they could be sent to 4CC. Based on what she wants, the partner change could happen between the Olympics and Worlds or certainly after Worlds. Then the replacement, and I think there will be, can focus on a World's medal, especially if Sui/Han retire after the Olympics and possibly Tarasova/Morozov. She could give US pairs something they haven't had in over a decade. Which is as much a statement about the US pairs as it is about her desire to compete. I don't think she'll ever be a successful coach because she doesn't have the patience and wants to do it herself. She doesn't need a coach at all. She just needs a facilitator and a male partner who can get her in the air and land the jumps.

Bigbird

Early April's Fools?. 17 year age difference say what? He has no real experience and she is an Olympic Champion? LOL. This has a shelf of maybe 6 months?

Really makes you think just how difficult it is to move on from elite sport.

zebraswan

Of course she knew...how could she not? She has internet access and frequently uses social media, so it would take some pretty skillful selective reading and avoidance of all skating news to not know about it. And even if she lived in a cave, like nobody would have mentioned to her at some point that there's some controversy around this guy she's skating with? In the insular world of skating where people apparently run to tell Dave Lease everything? 🙄 Most people only know who he is because of the allegations.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I’m not convinced Bruno is upset.

He is still following Alijona on Instagram contrary to earlier reports on this thread and all he has posted is something about “family is the best way to think about other things.”
Edited: earlier Aljona wasn't there, now she is. Maybe he added her back. But I'm 99% sure she wasn't there yesterday ;)

skategal

Bunny mama
Edited: earlier Aljona wasn't there, now she is. Maybe he added her back. But I'm 99% sure she wasn't there yesterday ;)
I checked twice yesterday after it was posted here that he stopped following her and he was there both times. The first time was as soon as I read it.

So if he stopped following her he started again pretty quickly.

insideedgeua

If Nyman can throw her and do the lifts, then they could win US nationals. Her jumps are stronger than any US female pair skater. Even if they can't go to the Olympics, they could be sent to 4CC.

TJ may not have competed for a while but I think he’s going to be a stronger partner, skating wise, than people realise. He can jump and I’d be very surprised if he has any trouble throwing Aljona.

Besides, Aljona was in Monument for at least a week at the end of April or the beginning of May, so I’ve no doubt she skated with TJ then. I can’t imagine her doing this unless she thought they could succeed on an International level.

I’ve no idea what Aljona’s long term plans may be, so this is going to be very interesting to watch and see what happens.

I know she missed competing, but I didn’t expect this. Skating never fails to surprise.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Can SafeSport ban TJ from skating, or only from coaching?
Both. If SafeSport issues a ban, then all Oly sports governing bodies must abide by that decision and the individual is no longer allowed to attend or participate in any sanctioned activities, including competing and coaching.

The caveat is that a SafeSport ban wouldn't apply to non-sanctioned activities, so theoretically a coach who is banned could keep teaching at a rink on rink-run (not purchased/overseen by a club) sessions. But they would not be able to purchase liability insurance, which most rinks require for coaches, or attend competitions or test sessions, even shows that receive a USFS sanction. So a ban effectively removes someone from the sport.

I suppose that a banned skater could do Disney on Ice or cruise ship shows, but with their history, I doubt organizers would want to take a chance.

rustymuffins

Savchenko is deleting comments on her latest Instagram post announcing she's moving to the USA, by the way (anything mentioning predators and TJ Nyman.) Not sure if she thinks she can control the backlash.

skylark

The judges will not permit two American pairs to stand on the podium at Worlds.

-BB
Well, your original post said "I weep for the Knierims." "The Knierims" won't be on the podium in any case.

I don't think the odds are favorable that Knierim/Frazier will beat out 3 Russian and the top 2 Chinese teams at Worlds any time soon. For one thing, re-watch S-K/K's programs at Worlds. Alexa has a history of not performing up to her ability there. That's not a put-down, there are many pairs where at least one person has this challenge. It's not easy. For another current example, I've been re-watching Tarasova/Morozov. She's such a beautiful skater, with a partner well worthy of her, but the pressure .... But anything is possible in the future, I believe that. Tarasova might respond well to Eteri's methods, for one thing. K/F could surprise us all too.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Savchenko is deleting comments on her latest Instagram post announcing she's moving to the USA, by the way (anything mentioning predators and TJ Nyman.) Not sure if she thinks she can control the backlash.
Yeah I posted two comments this morning and both are deleted.

skylark

Skating has dictated her life and it looks a little bit like she has difficulties finding a new purpose in life to me.

I saw ads for workshops that were meant to help you find a 2nd career once your dance career is over when I was taking classes at the dance school that is connected to Hubbard Street in Chicago. It was the first time I ever saw something like that and I don't know if they have the same for skaters or other athletes but I think they definitely should. The difficulty and mental impact of transitioning from a life dictated by sport to after shouldn't be underestimated.
Marissa Castillo attended a week-long seminar sounding similar to that after Mervin Tran ended their partnership to become Olivia Serafino's partner. She flew to Colorado for it; I'm pretty sure she said it was offered by the US training center there. When she described it, it sounded more like it was aimed at the emotional and mental difficulties of making the decision to retire, but I imagine it included ways to focus on what career could come next.

But I'm not sure that's Aljona's issue. She knows she can coach and skate in shows, she's done both for years. I think she just loves to compete and doesn't want to give that up yet, while she's still physically able.

once_upon

Better off than 2020

I think anyone who has spent most of their lives in high level or even mid-level sports have a very difficult time transitioning to real life. I look at football, basketball, Olympic sports of any flavor, even those who only compete at a college level, many many of them haven't thought about life post sports. Some have, but not many.

I think Aliona tried coaching with the Kiernan and it did not go well. It lasted 6 months at most. I assume that Chris wasn't too thrilled to continue to skate anyway, but I think he was really unhappy post Aliona.

I think she was not happy with show skating - not enough excitment/adrenaline without competition.

I can see how she is excited about taking US pairs to a place it hasn't been ever (or at least not since Randy and Tai, if even then).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information