Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orm Irian

He's still telling people to shut up and get a life, which is kind of odd since he "liked" a "we will not stand for abuse and rape in FS" tweet from this past November that contained screenshots of TJ Nyman's allegations and a message of support for his victim.
I'm disappointed in Harley but I'm not surprised. One thing I learned back when the allegations against Ciprès came out is that the culture of 'pairs skaters stick together', and particularly 'pairs guys stick together', is reprehensibly strong.

skylark

Vanessa James coming back to competition I could see a rationale for. But this I'm not getting, unless 'officially becoming the oldest female skater in elite competition once Zoe Jones retires' is on Savchenko's bucket list.

My first thought was that it may put a crimp in Deanna Stellato's ambition to be the oldest figure skater competing in the 2026 olympics. But no ... Wiki says Deanna is half a year older than Aljona.

Also, Deanna said recently, "I'm already too old to be doing this, so ...."

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
If she'd just gotten in there a few months earlier, she could have paired with Eric - to me they make more sense.
He's skating with James so that they can compete for a 2022 Olympic spot. He is not planning to skate to 2026, let alone 2030. Plus, she already rejected him once.

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
None of those guys are going to dump their partner in an Olympic season for someone that doesn't have US citizenship.
If they know an OGM or OSM or OBM is unachievable BUT a World Medal is....you bet they are thinking seriously about it.

There's a lot of jockeying happening today

starrynight

Re Aljona ... I thought it was pretty clear over all the years that she is a ruthless, singularly self-focused individual who will do anything to reach her goals and to the heck with anyone else.

It's made her an indomitable athlete. But not the qualities that necessarily make someone a great person in a general societal sense. And honestly, elite athletes are a very particular type of personality, so there's probably some intense personalities amongst them.

For someone like Bruno (who is a very different person) he went along with the ride for 4 years and reached his goal (quite spectacularly in the end). But again, not really surprised that connection has died down since.

Last edited:

Carolla5501

I’m not even worrying about the sexual allegations. In the first place if he does anything with her he will get what he finally deserves. She will just takebhim down. Actually, it might be good for him to get a taste of his own medicine as she puts him in his place every day

But the truth is he’s not good enough and while she was able to bring Bruno along she’s just kidding herself if she thinks she’s going to do it with this limited talent. so we don’t need to worry about this this

I feel more sorry for her. Going out like this is just saying She’s incapable of moving on and is trying to hang on to past glory. And you don’t want to be remembered as a joke, but that’s what she runs a real risk of doing

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Der Spiegel names TJ Nyman as Savchenko's partner:
Google translated excerpt:

ETA: It should be noted that no official source for this info is cited, however.
I KNEW IT! (See first post at top of thread, within moments of Sylvia's Initial post.)
BINGO BANGO BONGO!!!! 😂

starrynight

I’m not even worrying about the sexual allegations. In the first place if he does anything with her he will get what he finally deserves. She will just takebhim down. Actually, it might be good for him to get a taste of his own medicine as she puts him in his place every day
I know nothing about the situation with Nyman. So the below is just a general comment.

But as an aside, usually when people pick out individuals to abuse they pick out easy targets with a power imbalance. You know, the quiet kid with parents who won't believe him/her, someone who has no leverage to complain etc etc. So I doubt under any circumstances Savchenko (as a powerful person herself) fits that mould. But it's more that giving such a person power and reputation would elevate them into an even more untouchable position. Usually these people make sure they come across as awesome to the group/society at large, but behind people's backs, act very differently to those who they have control over.

The easiest way to imagine it (in a more relatable setting), is to think of say that charismatic person at the office who sucks up to the boss and is revered by management but bullies lesser staff behind the bosses' backs. No one can report the person because the bosses love them and they'll just think the staff are being jealous or recalcitrant. Downright toxic and manipulative people being worshipped and revered is a thing that happens everywhere, from the smallest workplace to the international stage. Until you've been exposed to it, I don't think people realise how untouchable some bad people can be.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Maybe Aljona and TJ-Dude are aiming to represent the UK next season? TJ is Brit? She’s married to a Brit? Maybe she’s in Colorado,USA just to train.

WATCH OUT, ZOE JONES! THEY MAY BE GUNNING FOR YOU!!!

To think that the British FS Pair Championships may be THE fun competition of the season.

I know who I’M rooting for. ZOE! ZOE! ZOE!

Carolla5501

But as an aside, usually when people pick out individuals to abuse they pick out easy targets with a power imbalance. You know, the quiet kid with parents who won't believe him/her, someone who has no leverage to complain etc etc. So I doubt under any circumstances Savchenko (as a powerful person herself) fits that mould. But it's more that giving such a person power and reputation would elevate them into an even more untouchable position. Usually these people make sure they come across as awesome to the group/society at large, but behind people's backs, act very differently to those who they have control over.

The easiest way to imagine it (in a more relatable setting), is to think of say that charismatic person at the office who sucks up to the boss and is revered by management but bullies lesser staff behind the bosses' backs. No one can report the person because the bosses love them and they'll just think the staff are being jealous or recalcitrant. Downright toxic and manipulative people being worshipped and revered is a thing that happens everywhere, from the smallest workplace to the international stage. Until you've been exposed to it, I don't think people realise how untouchable some bad people can be.
I’m actually been exposed to it I’m sorry that you thought you had to lecture me. ( I guess apparently you are the only person who’s ever experienced sexual abuse and can tell everybody what’s going on. Sorry that’s not really true)

Which is why I think this young man will be put in his place because he’s not going to be able to play his power games on her. As a matter fact he may be getting a taste of his own medicine.

starrynight

I’m actually been exposed to it I’m sorry that you thought you had to lecture me. ( I guess apparently you are the only person who’s ever experienced sexual abuse and can tell everybody what’s going on. Sorry that’s not really true)

Which is why I think this young man will be put in his place because he’s not going to be able to play his power games on her. As a matter fact he may be getting a taste of his own medicine.

Oh it wasn't a lecture - don't get me wrong. It was more just a comment on the general situation of the psychology of these situations. It is something that some people are fortunate enough not to be able to understand, so I thought I'd take the chance to discuss it a little. I wish you all the best.

zebraswan

Even putting aside all the moral/ethical questions, isn't she concerned that all this time she's investing in training with TJ might be for naught if he ends up getting suspended (and/or criminally charged)? Is she just biding time with him until someone better becomes available? That's the only semi-plausible explanation I can think of...

starrynight

I find these "too strong to be a victim" opinions really troublesome. Anyone can become a victim of abuse. There's no prototype. For instance would anyone have pegged Aly Raisman and Simone Biles to be sexual abuse victims? My guess is no.

The gymnastics training system was totally stacked against those girls. While they were very strong athletes, they were cogs in the machinery that was the huge talent factory that was the gymnastics system.

It certainly is possible to be a strong athlete and vulnerable to the system and the power of the coaches at the same time. You are definitely correct to say that it is a fallacy that just because an athlete has some gold medals they are somehow impermeable to mistreatment. Particularly when there is a system whereby the coaches and the training centre are more powerful than the athletes.

skategal

Bunny mama
Even putting aside all the moral/ethical questions, isn't she concerned that all this time she's investing in training with TJ might be for naught if he ends up getting suspended (and/or criminally charged)? Is she just biding time with him until someone better becomes available? That's the only semi-plausible explanation I can think of...
I’m wondering if she has a 1 year contract with him with continuing contingent on meeting goals and outcomes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she trades up next season.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
I’m :rofl: that he wasn’t even born when she won Junior Worlds. She’s out-Krasnopolski’d Krasnopolski.

As to the abuse allegations, she must know. A lot of champions are super self-absorbed and blinkered and that’s their path to success. True champions care about what is happening around them.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It certainly is possible to be a strong athlete and vulnerable to the system and the power of the coaches at the same time. You are definitely correct to say that it is a fallacy that just because an athlete has some gold medals they are somehow impermeable to mistreatment. Particularly when there is a system whereby the coaches and the training centre are more powerful than the athletes.
The really good abusers chip away at you over time, just pushing the line a bit each time, until the next thing you know, you are accepting treatment that you never thought you would. No one is immune from this even though some people may have better defenses than others.

meggonzo

Banned Member
If they know an OGM or OSM or OBM is unachievable BUT a World Medal is....you bet they are thinking seriously about it.

There's a lot of jockeying happening today
Well an Olympic medal is pretty much guaranteed for one team in the team event.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Elite skating is already a very small world with everyone competing over partners, getting the best coaching/choreo, and being hyper focused on the next competition. It doesn't surprise me that the skating culture has become so toxic, there's no way to change it. Morals aren't as important as winning a gold medal. No wonder why ISU looks the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information