alilou's Adventures in Wonderland - all over the map.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Aren't they beautiful photos. I think they're both very talented, Kenny especially. He has a way of using a camera, of seeing things that I hadn't thought of - I feel I really learned some things. And yes, Silken Sunset is really special :swoon:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm glad that you are planning to visit them in Taiwan.
Yes, me too. We enjoyed their company, and they ours apparently, plus it's always an extra treat to have someone local show you around. Hopefully April next year.

Beautiful pictures. I like the one with Kenny and the otter sunbathing together.
I love that picture, but . . . . . um . . . . . that otter would be a sea lion :lol:

Hi Alison, I've really enjoyed all your blogs over the past couple of years, but particularly the Galapagos ones. They remind me so much of my trip there about five years ago - what an amazing place! Unforgettable.
I'll be in Kelowna for Skate Canada too - hope we get together there as I'd love to meet you.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Hi Alison, I've really enjoyed all your blogs over the past couple of years, but particularly the Galapagos ones. They remind me so much of my trip there about five years ago - what an amazing place! Unforgettable.
I'll be in Kelowna for Skate Canada too - hope we get together there as I'd love to meet you.
Thank you so much hrgiraffe (love your user name!). I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog. I agree - Galapagos is both amazing and unforgettable.
I'd love to meet you in Kelowna. I'm so looking forward to it. I'm sure we'll organize an FSU meet up - there'll be so many of us who haven't seen each other for quite a while. Can't wait! :cheer:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
There is a new blog post ready. It's in the This Nomadic Life series, called 'This wasn't supposed to happen' :(
Our summer of fun in Vancouver has turned out to be a summer of dealing with illness and injury. No matter. There is still much to be grateful for.
Especially our latest 'home' for the next 2 months - a beautiful house and garden in the suburbs. :cheer:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Here's the direct link to the post:
https://alisonanddon.wordpress.com/2014/09/06/this-nomadic-life-this-wasnt-supposed-to-happen/

Sometimes all you can do is "wait" to see how your "issues" resolve.
You are in a good spot for that,

That is the loveliest photo of a blue jay I've seen!
Thanks for putting in the direct link. I forgot :shuffle:
And thanks re the photo - they come to the deck every morning because we put out peanuts for them. The house we're in has a huge beautiful garden surrounded by huge beautiful trees. So yes, you're right, we're in a good spot for just waiting for healing to happen. We've read that in some cases these issues resolve themselves so we're certainly hoping for that. We're both starting to feel more relaxed about it all.
I hope Don recovers soon! I am visualizing it with you, too.
Thank you so much. I hoping that the more visualizing we do the sooner and the better he will heal.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks Japanfan. I'm being a nagger and making him rest. I think it's just a time thing. We're hoping that it will heal itself with time. We've read that's possible. It's maybe another 3+ weeks (or possibly, hopefully, as soon as next week) before he gets a full consult with a neurosurgeon. We are surprisingly positive. It finally really landed for me that there's nothing wrong. Crazy huh?
Thanks for thinking of us.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks orientalplane. It's so lovely seeing the blue jays very morning. And I'm very pleased to report that Don is in less pain today. Baby steps, but it gives us both great hope for his recovery.

You have a new and improved avatar :)
I've seen that movie but forgotten the name of it. Julianne Moore and Ralph Feinnes :inavoid:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Thanks so much dinakt. I'm always thrilled to hear from FSUers who are enjoying the blog. South America was an amazing experience and we're really glad we went there, and then get to share it through the blog.

SandraMGfan

I feel like my comment is always the same, but here I go again: when can I buy your Photo Book Alison? I just love them all in every entry! :)
Hope you and Don are enjoying the rest in BC. See you next month!

just for fun, how many have you taken since the beginning of your adventure?

Last edited:

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I feel like my comment is always the same, but here I go again: when can I buy your Photo Book Alison? I just love them all in every entry! :)
Hope you and Don are enjoying the rest in BC. See you next month!

just for fun, how many have you taken since the beginning of your adventure?
Thanks Sandra! All I can say is there will be a book one day :)
To answer your question - thousands and thousands and thousands :)
So much looking forward to seeing you and all the FSU crew at SC :cheer:

Thanks for sharing so much with us,
Your pictures, as always, are evocative, and stellar!
Thank you so much! I'm getting a new camera. A better one, so I can make better pictures :cheer:

agalisgv

Just curious, but what is your policy about taking photos of people? Do you ask permission first? Do you have people pose, or take natural shots when people aren't looking? How do you handle pictures of children? Do you seek out the parents before photographing them?

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Just curious, but what is your policy about taking photos of people? Do you ask permission first? Do you have people pose, or take natural shots when people aren't looking? How do you handle pictures of children? Do you seek out the parents before photographing them?
So interesting that just when I'm really starting to think about this myself I'm getting several people asking me about it :)

Here is the answer I gave to a person who commented on the blog asking the same question:

I take pictures both on the sly and openly. I sometimes ask permission usually by gesture. If someone objects I don’t take the picture. If I’ve already taken it I delete it and show them as I do the deletion. Your question comes at a time when I’m really starting to consider the ethics of photographing people when they are unaware of it, but at the same time there is something so magical about catching people unaware. You really get to see their humanity, their beauty. Sometimes I just know intuitively when not to photograph, usually in sacred/religious situations.

Eleven photos are of performers. They expected to be photographed and would automatically pose if they saw you photographing them so I’m glad I was able to get some unposed shots. Five other photos are of adults who are looking directly at the camera and made no objection. Some of them were delighted.

Four are of adults who didn’t know they were being photographed, but who were, of course, in public places – this is a grey area ethically that I’m thinking a lot about these days. It’s something for all street photographers to think about – taking photos of people without their permission. Hmmmmm. What about the few million tourists who take photos of the streets they are in and of the people who happen to be included in the shot?

The girl in the Ecuador cafe was pleased to be photographed and her mother was nearby and made no objection. This can not be said for the other children included in this post. Some knew I was photographing them, some didn’t. I’ve deliberately made their locations a bit vague. All the children at the Candelaria Festival could have come from anywhere in Peru or Bolivia.

As for the kissing teenagers – they could not have been in a more public place and were making no attempt to be discreet about what they were doing. Still, does that give me the right to photograph them and then publish the photograph? Definitely conflicted about that one.

It does vary from country to country. In Mexico I had a mother ask why I was photographing her beautiful daughter and when I replied just for fun she was fine with it, but of course I know not to publish those photos. In many places I've taken photographs of children then approached the parents and shown them the photo then emailed it to them later. Indians of all ages LOVE being photographed and will jump in front of the camera.

The thing with asking permission of adults, or parents, is you rarely then get candid shots which are the only ones I want really. Then there was the little girl in Bolivia who was alone and saw me with the camera and immediately very shyly asked for money, just like she'd learned from the adults in her life. We agreed on a price and I was able to take enough photos to get something more relaxed and open. I think it may have been the first money she earned on her own and she was delighted. As was I.

Honestly I am still trying to find a place of integrity that feels comfortable for me with this whole issue. I certainly don't want to stop taking candid photos of the people in the places we visit. On the other hand approaching them can mean some wonderful communication with them, even if only in sign language. Or maybe I'll become less shy about approaching people after the fact and show the the photograph and if they object just delete it.

Phew! I guess you can tell I've been really thinking about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information