Alexandra Paul killed in car wreck

chantilly

This is so awful with what else is going on in the world and my community that I needed a couple of days to comment.
All my best hopes, wishes and condolences to Mitch, Charlie and all the families, friends and skating community members who are devastated by this horrific event.

karmena

...speaking silence... as words are too loud and limited

...there was something ethereal in Alexandra's skating style which deeply touched my heart... Thank you, Alexandra for your sunny presence in this world.

My sincere condolences all her beloved ones; I bent my heart for their pain.

Last edited:

Judy

I remember seeing them the first time Tv) and likely the Cdn commentator making comparison to Virtue and Moir. They were still very young.

My memory is a lot of injuries? They were definitely beautiful skaters 🥰.

Sylvia

TBD
Devastating :(
Excerpt from the CTV Barrie article:

That same year [2021], she went on to become an associate lawyer with Barriston Law, practicing in the areas of wills, estates, real estate and corporate law.

In a statement to CTV News, Joanne McPhail, managing partner with Barriston Law, wrote, "The loss of Alex as a friend and colleague has been devastating to everyone at Barriston Law. Alex came to us initially as a summer student, then articled with us, and then practiced with us as a young lawyer after her call to the Bar in 2021.

She was a valued member of our team and a close friend to many of us. She attended our firm golf tournament just last week and was full of excitement about her future, as were we.

We will miss her joyful personality and her intense passion for her work and her family. She was kind, curious and driven in every endeavour she pursued. Our thoughts and hearts are with her son, Charlie, husband Mitch, and her entire family."

Shocked and horrified. Far too often the workings of the universe make absolutely no sense. 💔 Our local CTV affiliate carried the story on their evening broadcast. Included was a interview with an understandably devastated Kirsten Moore-Towers: https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.6535533 Enormous condolences to Mitch and baby Charlie, and the Paul and Islam families.
KMT's tearful words in the CTV video (same segment is embedded in the Barrie CTVNews article): "She was like sunshine. She brought light into every room she walked into ...We've gone through a lot of milestones together and it will be challenging to go through milestones without her."
The obituary for Alexandra has been published in The Globe & Mail - it includes details about a planned reception at the end of the month 💔💔
Obituary
Thank you for posting the link. Copying out the full obituary:

ALEXANDRA JANE PAUL September 16, 1991 - August 22, 2023
Our wonderful talented daughter, wife, mother, and friend was taken from us suddenly in a motor vehicle accident August 22, 2023.

Alex lived an amazing life for her almost 32 years. Her busy happy youth was spent at the cottage with family, taking dance classes but mostly figure skating at the Mariposa School of Skating in Barrie. It was on the rink that she met her skating partner, love of her life and future husband, Mitchell. They formed a beautiful ice dance team, soon winning the Canadian Junior Ice Dance Championship, and a Silver Medal at the World Junior Figure Skating Championships. As members of Canada's Senior National Figure Skating Team, they were 3-time medallists at the Canadian Senior National Championships and competed twice at the World Figure Skating Championships. The highlight of her career was competing at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

Alex was not only a talented athlete, she was also a strong, smart and driven person. When she retired from skating, she knew that the legal profession was her next calling. She completed her Law Degree at the University of Windsor and began her career at Barriston Law in Barrie. She loved the challenge and the work.

Alex and Mitch were talented skaters, but more importantly they formed a beautiful loving partnership. They were married in September, 2021 and welcomed their son Charlie in October, 2022. Motherhood was her biggest joy. She embraced it with all the love and passion she had.

For those of us lucky enough to raise her, live with her, love her, or just know her, this is an enormous loss. We were just fortunate to be part of her all too short life. In the words of a friend's condolence message 'Alex was a bright light that touched the hearts of many. She made a difference.'

Alex is survived by her loving husband, Mitchell; her son, Charlie; parents, Gordon and Anne; and her sisters, Katharine (Kyle) and Elizabeth (Rob). The three sisters had a solid friendship, and they all made sure that the physical distance from each other was never an impediment to their almost daily communication. She will be sadly missed by her grandparents, Donald Paul (Joan, deceased 2019), Tink and Dan Standret; Mitch's parents, David and Debbie Islam; aunts; uncles; cousins; her extended Islam family and all who knew her.

The family will be holding a private family service. A reception will be held to celebrate and honour Alex's life on Thursday, August 31 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the Barrie Country Club, 635 St. Vincent Street North, Barrie. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to The Hospital for Sick Children, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre in Barrie, or the Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County. A GoFundMe page has been set up for her beloved baby, Charlie Islam, at https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-baby-charlie-loss-of-mother-alex-paul ($161,050 CAD raised from 1.2K donations as of this post)

Last edited:

Cachoo

Excerpt from the CTV Barrie article:

That same year [2021], she went on to become an associate lawyer with Barriston Law, practicing in the areas of wills, estates, real estate and corporate law.

In a statement to CTV News, Joanne McPhail, managing partner with Barriston Law, wrote, "The loss of Alex as a friend and colleague has been devastating to everyone at Barriston Law. Alex came to us initially as a summer student, then articled with us, and then practiced with us as a young lawyer after her call to the Bar in 2021.

She was a valued member of our team and a close friend to many of us. She attended our firm golf tournament just last week and was full of excitement about her future, as were we.

We will miss her joyful personality and her intense passion for her work and her family. She was kind, curious and driven in every endeavour she pursued. Our thoughts and hearts are with her son, Charlie, husband Mitch, and her entire family."

KMT's tearful words in the CTV video: "She was like sunshine. She brought light into every room she walked into ...We've gone throught a lot of milestones together and it will be challenging to go through milestones without her."

Thank you for posting the link. Copying out the full obituary:

ALEXANDRA JANE PAUL September 16, 1991 - August 22, 2023
Our wonderful talented daughter, wife, mother, and friend was taken from us suddenly in a motor vehicle accident August 22, 2023.

Alex lived an amazing life for her almost 32 years. Her busy happy youth was spent at the cottage with family, taking dance classes but mostly figure skating at the Mariposa School of Skating in Barrie. It was on the rink that she met her skating partner, love of her life and future husband, Mitchell. They formed a beautiful ice dance team, soon winning the Canadian Junior Ice Dance Championship, and a Silver Medal at the World Junior Figure Skating Championships. As members of Canada's Senior National Figure Skating Team, they were 3-time medallists at the Canadian Senior National Championships and competed twice at the World Figure Skating Championships. The highlight of her career was competing at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi.

Alex was not only a talented athlete, she was also a strong, smart and driven person. When she retired from skating, she knew that the legal profession was her next calling. She completed her Law Degree at the University of Windsor and began her career at Barriston Law in Barrie. She loved the challenge and the work.

Alex and Mitch were talented skaters, but more importantly they formed a beautiful loving partnership. They were married in September, 2021 and welcomed their son Charlie in October, 2022. Motherhood was her biggest joy. She embraced it with all the love and passion she had.

For those of us lucky enough to raise her, live with her, love her, or just know her, this is an enormous loss. We were just fortunate to be part of her all too short life. In the words of a friend's condolence message 'Alex was a bright light that touched the hearts of many. She made a difference.'

Alex is survived by her loving husband, Mitchell; her son, Charlie; parents, Gordon and Anne; and her sisters, Katharine (Kyle) and Elizabeth (Rob). The three sisters had a solid friendship, and they all made sure that the physical distance from each other was never an impediment to their almost daily communication. She will be sadly missed by her grandparents, Donald Paul (Joan, deceased 2019), Tink and Dan Standret; Mitch's parents, David and Debbie Islam; aunts; uncles; cousins; her extended Islam family and all who knew her.

The family will be holding a private family service. A reception will be held to celebrate and honour Alex's life on Thursday, August 31 from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at the Barrie Country Club, 635 St. Vincent Street North, Barrie. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to The Hospital for Sick Children, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre in Barrie, or the Alzheimer Society of Simcoe County. A GoFundMe page has been set up for her beloved baby, Charlie Islam, at https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-baby-charlie-loss-of-mother-alex-paul ($161,050 CAD raised from 1.2K donations as of this post)
Such a good idea to think of Charlie’s future. I am so sad that he won’t grow up with her. She sounds like a great human being.

Sylvia

TBD
Paul/Islam's original fan thread (May 2011 to October 2013) is in the FSU Archives (need to have a Premium Access subscription to read): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/alexandra-paul-mitchell-islam.77958/

The 2nd installation of P/I's fan thread (October 2013 to July 2017) is still open to all: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/paul-and-islam-no-matter-what.89688/

They retired from competition in December 2016 - GSD news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/paul-islam-retire.100109/

@jmtfti wrote extensively about Paul/Islam (her articles go back to 2013 on the " Two For The Ice" website and are linked from here): https://www.twofortheice.com/tag/alexandra-paul/

ice coverage

From Mayor of Barrie yesterday:

My thoughts and prayers are with the family of Barrie Olympic figure skater, lawyer, wife, and mother, Alexandra Paul, who we tragically lost this week. There will be a book of condolences displayed at Allandale Rec Centre for the community to share their condolences.

4:03 PM · Aug 25, 2023 from Barrie, Ontario

Mentioning in case any local members of FSU would like to look into the opportunity to add their condolences to the book.

Skate Mariposa's tribute today is accompanied by a beautiful photo of Alex, Mitch, and Charlie (different one from the GoFundMe photo):

Last edited:

liv

So sad... I was driving in that area today and had no idea what had happened...

I loved their skating, and they seemed so happy together... I remember thinking their baby would be the cutest thing.

To lose your wife, and to have your baby also be involved in the same accident... i cant imagine what that phone call would have been like...By some miracle he has Charlie... so scary how things can change in seconds.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Judy

This is so heartbreaking.

My condolences to her family and friends.

I always enjoyed Paul and Islam’s skating and following them on instagram.

So tragic. 💔
Do you have a link to her Instagram? I did look but it seemed to be marked private. I don’t feel ready to look at it yet or watch their programs yet .. I will but this is such a tragic loss. 😢

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!

ice coverage

This is the Instagram for Paul and Islam: https://www.instagram.com/paulandislam/ ...

The combined one seems to be more related to their skating/competitive times.

I think it is worth noting that the "combined" Instagram account is a fan's account.
Alex and Mitch did not curate the fan's collection of (nice) photos.

(First post of the fan's account says: "just here to support my favourite ice dance team"; second one says: "Really hope to get the opportunity to see them live soon!"; etc.)

FSWer

Their baby survived the crash thankfully.
OMG. at least that baby is too young to be able to remember anything!! What a story to have to tell your kid. That your mother was a Famous Ice-Dancer and killed in a crash...Gee,it seems like a lot of skaters are passing away really young. I saw the photo in the news artical...she was such a pretty lady. Btw. what is Mitch her former partner doing now?

skatingguy

decently
OMG. at least that baby is too young to be able to remember anything!! What a story to have to tell your kid. That your mother was a Famous Ice-Dancer and killed in a crash...Gee,it seems like a lot of skaters are passing away really young. I saw the photo in the news artical...she was such a pretty lady. Btw. what is Mitch her former partner doing now?
Mitch works at Mariposa.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
She married Mitch, that was his wife (Alex) and baby (Charlie) in the accident. He now works full time as a coach at Mariposa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information