Alena Kostornaia appreciation thread

floskate

Vacant
Firstly, I'm hopelessly on the bandwagon and probably have been since 2017 when I first saw her skate if I'm honest but I figured she'd never get the recognition without big ticket tech. Then she busts out the triple axel and gives us all hope that all is not lost and quads can still be beaten. Her SP at NHK was simply sublime; one of those picture perfect skates and so complete in every way. Her FS is not of the same calibre but she is such a gifted interpreter of music and performer that you have such a great time watching her and I end up loving the program. The opening slow section actually makes my heart ache it's that beautiful and she moves so sensitively to it. I'm not normally one to gush like an insane uber but she is just THAT good.

alexikeguchi

I love that she actually qualified in the highest position without a quad, just slipping by Trusova by decimal points. I admire the talent and drive of all the young (and slightly less young) Russian ladies, but I'm relieved that multiple quads don't guarantee a win over quality like Kostornaia's. Here's hoping for the same result at GPF and Worlds!

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I can't decide if I love her LP or if I just love how much she obviously loves her LP.
Definitely the latter for me. Her enthusiasm and conviction is what makes this weird FP works. Plus it is kind of age appropriate which makes it work even more. Teenage girl who loves the Twilight movies much better than trying to sell sugar daddy's program or 50 shades of Grey (like her Gala program)

VGThuy

Agreed. I’ll take Twilight because you know it’s something she’s truly interested in and understands. She’s not trying too hard to skate above her life experience just to get the judges’ approval and gain credibility. And because her skating itself is so good and mature, it comes through even if it’s Twilight themed. This should show other young skaters and ice dance teams that trying to hard to do programs that are more mature than you can handle just makes it more obviously how much you don’t get about the material you’ve chosen.

oleada

I also like how it lets her show off a sassier, more extroverted side of her personality versus the SP and previous programs we’ve seen from her. She could do something dramatic and extroverted really well, I think.

floskate

Vacant
I just watched her videos again. What a great talent. I was wondering who trained her when she was young. Such lovely basics and carriage. Those 3As looked huge on my little screen. She makes everything look so easy. GUSH!

All Zhuk's skaters had great posture. Think back to Irina Rodnina, Marina Pestova & Stanislav Leonovich, Elena Vodorezova, Katia Gordeeva & Sergei Grinkov, Pershina & Akbarov....all with wonderful posture, fantastic speed and great basics.

Perky Shae Lynn

Agreed. I’ll take Twilight because you know it’s something she’s truly interested in and understands. She’s not trying too hard to skate above her life experience just to get the judges’ approval and gain credibility. And because her skating itself is so good and mature, it comes through even if it’s Twilight themed. This should show other young skaters and ice dance teams that trying to hard to do programs that are more mature than you can handle just makes it more obviously how much you don’t get about the material you’ve chosen.
Yes, the program may be trash - but she enjoys it and skates it with gusto and conviction. Brings a smile to my face, lol. There is nothing more ridiculous than having a 16 - 17 yo. girl skate to Carmen or Cleopatra (I guess La Traviata is coming next for poor Zagitova).

Seerek

I understand not everyone may like it, but the Muse section demonstrates how prodigious Alena is. All in 70 seconds, she's literally timed every nuance: she addresses the change in tempo, she emphasizes fuzz guitar highlights in the spins/mini cantelever (including the faux 'howls'), she even has the spiral section pretty much matched to the vocals lines when they come in. She has an efficiency of movement that makes what would be a 'busy' program for anyone else almost 'rational'/'logical'.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Congrats to a well deserved victory. I hope she can included a quad not because I care about quad but because I unfortunately know it is just a matter of time the other girls with big quads FP might pass in front and it would be sad such a well rounded with great SS and glide not get the medals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information