Alena Kostornaia appreciation thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C
Ratings
A question, is it Alena or Alyona. I'm hearing and reading both and I'm confused. :confused:
I thought you knew. It just depends on how the skater wishes to spell it.

In Cyrillic it is the e with two dots on it. So it is pronounced like Yo (hence Alyona or Aliona, while writing in English). The other e is pronounced like Ye (Elena is Yelena) in some cases. In English it depends on how they choose to spell it in English if it is the e with two dots. They may use just a regular e instead of how it sounds. I would like them to spell the way it sounds, to avoid confusion.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Ratings
She is exquisite, and her arms are to die for! Buuut, Eteri needs to recognize she is too special to be given the same frantic choreography and 10-positions-a-second moves that she gives her other students. It’s amazing that her elegance shines through DESPITE the choreography

Also her SP is miles better than her LP

Amantide

Ratings
I thought you knew. It just depends on how the skater wishes to spell it.

In Cyrillic it is the e with two dots on it. So it is pronounced like Yo (hence Alyona or Aliona, while writing in English). The other e is pronounced like Ye (Elena is Yelena) in some cases. In English it depends on how they choose to spell it in English if it is the e with two dots. They may use just a regular e instead of how it sounds. I would like them to spell the way it sounds, to avoid confusion.
Alyona, Aljona, Aliona, yes. But in this case sounds different to me because of the "e", and I thought these were two different names. On top of that, the announcer in the arena called her "Alyona", while the commentator called her Alena, and I got more confused. :D

kwanatic

Ratings
She is exquisite, and her arms are to die for! Buuut, Eteri needs to recognize she is too special to be given the same frantic choreography and 10-positions-a-second moves that she gives her other students. It’s amazing that her elegance shines through DESPITE the choreography

Also her SP is miles better than her LP
Agree 100%. It's amazing that despite all of the clutter she's able to find moments to hold/extend a move and make it beautiful. I feel like she would give me happy piddles of joy if she were to get a program from Tom Dickson or Lori Nichol. I know Lori isn't everyone's cuppa but I feel like Alena's style and movement would inspire Lori and they could come up with something beautiful. Or even if the program isn't that great Alena would be able to bring that something special to it to make it shine. Hell, look what she did with Eteri's choreo...

I think Alena and Anastasiia Gubanova are Russia's two most elegant skaters. I love watching both of them skate :saint:

VIETgrlTerifa

Ratings
I haven't see too much of her, but from what I have seen, I am a huge fan. I think she'll be the first Eteri skater I'll be actively rooting for. I do wish if she was going to do split jumps and spirals, she'd work on extending them more and hold them longer, but given the circumstances and the fact no lady really holds out these moves or extends them, this is the best we can ask for.

Last edited:

annie_mg

Ratings
I haven't see too much of her, but from what I have seen, I am a huge fan. I think she'll be the first Eteri skater I'll be actively rooting for. I do wish if she was going to do split jumps and spirals, she'd work on extending them more and hold them longer, but given the circumstances and the fact no lady really holds out these moves or extends them, this is the best we can ask for.
Unfortunately I don't think extension and holding a move is part of the Eteri camp vocabulary. Personally, it's one of the things I can't stand about the Russian girls' programmes. But Kostornaia somehow makes them work. I hope to see her skate another choreographer's programmes one day (one can dream, no?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)