Adelina Sotnikova ... WTF

bardtoob

Does anyone remember Adelina Sotnikova... ?
We talk about Adelina Sotnikova as much as we talk about Sarah Hughes.

Hughes won the Olympics in her home country under scandalous circumstances, a World Bronze, a couple GPF Bronze, and the Jr. World Silver.

Sotnikova won the Olympics in her home country under scandalous circumstances, a couple European Silvers, and a Jr. World Championship.

Neither were dominant at any point in their career.

Neither were innovative at any point in their career.

They are very comparable but there is not much to say.

bardtoob

Miss Hughes was a far superior skater to Sotinkova,both technically and artistically.

-BB
Oddly enough, I won't argue with you. Strange how that can happen once in awhile 😂

However, I mostly notice that Sarah doesn't twitch like she took too much cold medicine during her Olympic Long Program.

anonymoose_au

I remember her.

As do the hoardes of nasty fans who send her death threats or just generally nasty comments, unfortunately.

Not sure what the "WTF" in the thread means... although I do recall she made a very bizarre comment about dieting once, it was indeed WTF- worthy.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Does anyone remember Adelina Sotnikova... ?
Of course, you simply don't forget the second-most recent Olympic Champion.
As do the hoardes of nasty fans who send her death threats or just generally nasty comments, unfortunately.

Not sure what the "WTF" in the thread means...
I'm going to take a punt and suggest the OP of those thread is almost certainly one of them.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
First, three years ago is hardly a "recent" article. (Also, shock horror, the study found bias in more countries than just Russia.)

Second, frickin' called it that OP was one of those who still makes nasty comments about Adelina. Were you one of the death-threat senders, too?

anonymoose_au

. a recent article from NBC suggesting a fix..
Even if there was a fix, it's hardly Adelina's fault, I mean no-one sent death threats to Anton and Elena in Salt Lake City?

Although, with the anniversary of the 2014 Sochi Games happening Adelina has posted her Olympic programs on Insta. I was afraid to look at the comments, but they seemed OK.

Adelina had two fantastic skates at Sochi, it's not like she won with two falls or something. I've seen way more questionable wins than hers. In 2018 one of our Aussie aerials guys was knocked out of the super final by a guy from China who completely wiped out after landing (like he was on his feet for half a second then fell, the Aussie guy did as well, I believe, but only he was dinged in scoring 🤔). Now that was shonky!

Also the Adelina spin is cool, hurts my hip to look at, but cool :lol:

She's recently opened a skating school, which should be interesting!

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Can’t say I blame them. I’m still not over Anett Potzsch. 😜
The first of Frau Muller’s three straight Ladies Olympic gold medalists...two on “enemy turf” in North America. Think about it...pretty darn remarkable. 🇩🇪

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Hughes won the Olympics in her home country under scandalous circumstances, a World Bronze, a couple GPF Bronze, and the Jr. World Silver.

Hughes is an international icon and treasure! Skated the absolute best by far that night while Kween and Slutskaya were auditioning for Frozen.

She deserved her win while in 14 I think Carolina and Yuna both skated better than Kween and Slutskaya did and ultimately Sotnikova.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Hughes is an international icon and treasure! Skated the absolute best by far that night while Kween and Slutskaya were auditioning for Frozen.

She deserved her win while in 1My4 I think Carolina and Yuna both skated better than Kween and Slutskaya did and ultimately Sotnikova.
My x is a casual figure skating fan. Knowing nothing about who was doing what to whom predicted Sarah Hughes would win. She skated way above herself that night.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
My x is a casual figure skating fan. Knowing nothing about who was doing what to whom predicted Sarah Hughes would win. She skated way above herself that night.

Cool. I mean Sarah had an Olympic gold medal worthy performance - free and uninhibited. Michelle and Irina were frozen and wooden. But what can you do about it?

bardtoob

She deserved her win while in 14 I think Carolina and Yuna both skated better than Kween and Slutskaya did and ultimately Sotnikova.
The scandal was the ISU's and their judges, not the skaters.

olympic

Actually, if you are counting Worlds placements, Sotnikova underperforms Hughes. At least Hughes stepped onto a Worlds podium and finished top 10 three times.

Hughes's win was IMO also less 'controversial'> Kwan and Slute made mistakes while Kim and Kostner were on their game. My issue with Sotnikova's win were the obscenely high PCS.

She also had her share of cringe-worthy programs - Christina Aguilera LP anyone?

I honestly don't have an opinion on her skating because I didn't see enough of it! And truly neither of her 12-13 and 13-14 programs were memorable to me

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Actually, if you are counting Worlds placements, Sotnikova underperforms Hughes. At least Hughes stepped onto a Worlds podium and finished top 10 three times.

Hughes's win was IMO also less 'controversial'> Kwan and Slute made mistakes while Kim and Kostner were on their game. My issue with Sotnikova's win were the obscenely high PCS.

She also had her share of cringe-worthy programs - Christina Aguilera LP anyone?

I honestly don't have an opinion on her skating because I didn't see enough of it! And truly neither of her 12-13 and 13-14 programs were memorable to me
Hughes was also in the top 10 in 2003, so four times, unless you were counting bronze separate.

Sotnikova also had that brief Rostelecom comeback in between Olympic cycles, and I think many of us were looking forward to her progress post-Sochi.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don’t understand the title of this thread at all. Better to skip it, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information