A skater works to stop anti-Asian racism

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt from the article linked above:
Michelle K. Hanabusa spent 14 years as a competitive figure skater through high school, training with Olympian Mirai Nagasu and twice meeting her childhood sports hero, Michelle Kwan.
“That was such a different chapter of my life,” Hanabusa, a 29-year-old from Southern California, says now.
She co-founded Hate is a Virus last spring. What started as a grass-roots social media movement to combat xenophobia and racism against Asian Americans, fueled by the coronavirus pandemic, became a nonprofit that has raised more than $400,000. The goal is $1 million.
The money is earmarked for organizations fighting for racial justice and programs that directly support the AAPI community.
As of today, the nonprofit community action fund Hate Is A V*rus has raised $713,417 of their $750,000 initially listed goal:

Alex Shibutani tweeeted today: https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/1388523223872991232
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month! That means we celebrate and uplift all parts of the Asian American community: East Asians, Pacific Islanders, South Asians, Southeast Asians, Asian Women, LGBTQ+ Asians, multiracial Asians, and Asians with disabilities. #APAHM #AAPI

Last edited:

B.Cooper

Her name does not ring a bell, from the skating side. Anyone have her skating resume? Familiar with her work on fighting racism though.

Sylvia

TBD
Her name does not ring a bell, from the skating side. Anyone have her skating resume?
This USC figure skating team article from 2010 mentioned Hanabusa was a freshman "showcase skater hailing from Palos Verdes, Calif., ... [who] took part in events that emphasized artistry over technical moves, such as jumps, and she came back to skating a year after hip surgery": https://dailytrojan.com/2010/04/27/figure-skating-finding-an-edge-at-usc/
The Tracings database lists Hanabusa as having qualified for the Novice Ladies final round at the 2005 Southwest Pacific Regional Championships (October 2004) but WD after the SP.

Patrick Chan tweeted yesterday "Celebrating Asian Heritage Month - Honored to be included in this project with
@sportsnet
Stand with us... #stopasianhate": https://twitter.com/Pchiddy/status/1389012394827939840
He narrated this 3-minute Sportsnet video "We Belong" for #AsianHeritageMonth: https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1388506032280846339

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
45-second video shared by Maia Shibutani a few days ago (directed by Jon M. Chu): https://www.instagram.com/p/COWZ5YJpcvV/
Today is the first day of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month! I’m proud to be a part of this community and loved teaming up with these amazing people to celebrate #AAPIJoy.

Exciting news: This piece will be shown at all @amctheatres throughout the month. 🙏🏼❤️

Alex Shibutani's tweet today: https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/1389959366502084610
We’re going to be addressing some important topics that aren’t discussed in the skating world enough. Please tune in. Thank you to @USFigureSkating for amplifying. #AAPI #APAHM #StopAsianHate
USFS' IG post yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/COdyHYcg7t2/
U.S. Figure Skating is amplifying athlete voices during Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month by having meaningful conversations and sharing the stories of our skaters, both past and present.⁠

Join us tomorrow [Wednesday, May 5] at 5 p.m. ET for a conversation with @coachmichellehong, @maiashibutani and @alexshibutani.⁠

#AAPIHeritageMonth⁠
ETA link to watch the Shibutanis' 17-minute IG Live conversation wih Michelle Hong: https://www.instagram.com/tv/COgaItiH0lp/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Article on Olympian Felicia Zhang who retired after the 2014 Olympic season (published on USFS' website on April 30, 2021): https://www.usfigureskating.org/news/article/constantly-inspired
Excerpts:
[She] is currently working toward her masters in biomedical sciences at Rutgers University-Newark while volunteering as an EMT for her local rescue squad. While her time is no longer spent on the ice training, her dedication to the sport of figure skating remains the same.
“I have been coaching students of all ages and levels, to try and give back to the sport that has given me so much,” Zhang said. “To work with so many skaters these past few years has been fulfilling and I am thankful to be able to pass along my passion for the sport to our next generation of skaters. And with all of that, I have been elected to the AAC [Athletes Advisory Committee] the past four years and, this most recent year, I was elected onto the board of directors as the pairs athlete representative.”
“During this difficult year, there was the formation of the DEI [Diversity Equity and Inclusion] committee as well as the AAC starting a few new programs (led by AAC Chair Rachael Flatt) that I believe have been the most impactful. Some of these ideas of the AAC included starting a mentorship group, a retirement group and a social media group. These are just some of the ideas the AAC has collaborated on and what we as a group would like to put into action. The goal with these initial projects was to start providing more supporting services to our athletes. I am involved with the mentorship group...
As for the future? Zhang would like to see the sport continue to evolve and move forward, especially in the face of rising violence and hate.
“It has been so devastating to see the drastic rise of violence toward the Asian communities,” Zhang said. “I believe that now more than ever, we have to continue to support one another. We are all here for the love of skating, and we need to continue to value that and everyone’s journey to where we are today and build a stronger foundation for the future.
“It has been hard enough during this unprecedented year, but to be able to come out of it stronger and more united is the goal. In order to do that, we have to start with the first step together. This past year with the start of the DEI committee is a huge step toward allowing the sport to continue to grow in all aspects, and I am excited to see the initiatives they have been working on.”

Sylvia

TBD
U.S. Figure Skating is amplifying athlete voices during #aapiheritagemonth by having meaningful conversations and sharing the stories of our skaters, both past and present.⁠
Last week's IG Live Conversation with Michelle Kwan and Michelle Hong (20 mins.): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CO1EtdZnln_/

May 5th IG Live - A Conversation with Maia Shibutani, Alex Shibutani and Michelle Hong (17 mins.): https://www.instagram.com/tv/COgaItiH0lp/

Michelle Hong will speak with Kristi Yamaguchi on Thursday, May 20 at 5 p.m. ET (ETA link to watch the IGTV replay): https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPHDIYAHGOU/

Who is Making Asian American Pacific Islander History in 2021: The GMA Inspiration List (May 10, 2021):
Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month celebrates the contributions of one of the fastest-growing groups of people living in the United States. Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders contain multitudes. They are a global community with a homegrown and unique perspective on America.
I scrolled through this very long list and have copied out all the figure skaters I saw mentioned.

Chris Nguyen (news anchor and reporter at KGO-TV in San Francisco) nominates Nathan Chen and Ashlyn So:
In dominating men's figure skating in recent years, three-time world champion Nathan Chen has shown remarkable skill, strength and staying power on his journey to the top. His blend of talent and athleticism is not only redefining his sport, but is also setting a positive example for youth. All Americans should be proud of his success and the class in which he has represented our country on the international level.
Ashlyn So, 13, is an emerging fashion designer in the San Francisco Bay Area who has blossomed into a youth activist during the COVID-19 pandemic. When Asian elders were being attacked locally, she decided to take a stand by organizing a rally and march to denounce the violence. The event was attended by thousands! So has since become a powerful voice for change and an inspiration to generations of Asian Americans.
Michelle Kwan nominates Sung Yeon Choimorrow:
Sung Yeon Choimorrow fights for the dignity and rights of Asian American and Pacific Islander women and girls like no other activist I’ve seen. Her background in community organizing shines through in her commitment to building power with AAPI women and girls. As the executive director of the National Asian Pacific American Women’s Forum, she has led the movement to build a grassroots base of AAPI women and girls nationwide, collectively working toward increased visibility, shattering stereotypes, and creating policy and structural change for our communities -- building unprecedented power for us. NAPAWF’s motto is “Be seen. Be heard. Be fierce.” But, as I’ve worked with Sung Yeon in our efforts to end violence against AAPI women, I’ve come to see that those words are also a personal motto for her. When she learned about the killing of six AAPI women in Atlanta on March 16, Sung Yeon led NAPAWF into action. She publicly mourned and honored the victims. She ensured that NAPAWF’s members and staff had safe spaces to process the tragedy and support in responding to it. And she took her concerns to Washington, where the White House has responded with improved policies, including investments in the AAPI community, language access and tens of millions of dollars allocated to community-based services that center women. Sung Yeon has also taken care to correct the narrative about AAPI women -- speaking out against racism and sexism. She made the devastating point that the AAPI women killed in Atlanta were victims not only of anti-Asian hate, but of a brand of racialized misogyny that’s been directed at AAPI women long before the pandemic. Her message has resonated with so many of us: 78% of AAPI women have been affected by anti-Asian racism in the past two years, according to a study released by NAPAWF. Sung Yeon has challenged all Americans to see AAPI women as our full, multilayered selves. As Sung Yeon says, she is not Asian today and a woman tomorrow, not an immigrant today and a mom tomorrow. She is all of those things, all the time. Sung Yeon is on a mission to ensure that all AAPI women and girls can thrive as the whole human beings that we are.
Kristi Yamaguchi nominates Alysa Liu:
Effervescent on the ice. It’s the first thing I feel when I think about describing Alysa Liu. She skates with such joy, energy and personality that anyone watching can’t help but smile and want to cheer her on. Her love for what she does shines through. Don’t get me wrong, there’s also that inner competitor in her that allows her to skate with attack and fierceness. So with that combination, there’s no limit to what Alysa can achieve in her career. I mean come on, she’s only 15 (16 this year) and look at what she has already done -- world junior bronze medalist, two-time U.S. national champion, in 2019 being the youngest U.S. champion ever, first American woman to land a quadruple lutz in competition, first female skater to land two triple axels and a quad lutz in the same program. And now Alysa is finally age eligible to compete at the international senior level, so with the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing around the corner, she is the rising star of these Games to watch for. It can possibly be a home away from home coming for Alysa as her father immigrated from China in the '90s. I see her as an incredibly positive role model for the AAPI community and know she will inspire the next generation of AAPIs, and particularly athletes, to go for their dreams.
Alex & Maia Shibutani nominate Bing Chen:
Bing Chen is an impact entrepreneur and powerhouse. Using his unique skills, forward-thinking business acumen and convening power, he leverages storytelling to deliver greater socioeconomic equity. As YouTube’s former global head of creator development and management, his work as a principal architect of the multibillion-dollar influencer ecosystem has already impacted life as we know it -- from inspiring a whole new creative economy on Instagram, Twitch and Pinterest to reshaping digital advertising. His current endeavors will continue to shift culture across multiple industries for years to come. Trust us. Bing is a general partner and co-founder of AUM Group, a top multicultural film fund whose latest film was the second-highest acquisition at Sundance Film Festival this year; and is president and co-founder of Gold House. Gold House is the premier collective of Asian creative voices and leaders working to unite Asians and Pacific Islanders to advance multicultural representation and advocate for socioeconomic equity. Notably, Gold House is responsible for creating the AAPI film market via its #GoldOpen movement that proved to Hollywood that there is a viable audience exists for AAPI films, from "Crazy Rich Asians" to "Parasite." Prior to and during the pandemic, Gold House has worked to uplift small businesses across the country through grants and the nation's leading AAPI founder accelerator. Most recently, Bing and the team at Gold House collaborated with GoFundMe to launch the single-largest fundraiser for AAPI attacks to date that's raised over $5.5 million and deployed millions more directly to attack victims. Amazingly enough, Bing finds the time to advise several digital media companies, including Google and Snap, while also doing philanthropic work for multiple global nonprofit organizations. In our often-chaotic world, Bing Chen, as a creative, compassionate, insightful and inspiring individual, continues to lead with clarity and purpose.
Mirai Nagasu nominates Michelle Hanabusa (original subject of this thread):
My nomination is Michelle Hanabusa, fellow figure skater and founder of the movement Hate Is a V*rus. She has taken her persistence and drive that she learned as an athlete and funneled it into a safe space for AAPI members to connect. Instead of ignoring the racist slurs and rise of hate crimes, she has stepped up as a leader to help us express our true feelings. We fight the anger and fear by wearing the clothes that Michelle has designed because we are a generation of voices who will fight for what we stand for. I grew up believing that I had to become a doctor or a lawyer because that was the path of least resistance, but I connected with Michelle on 5 a.m. practices when I saw her fighting to make a place for Asian American females in sport. She has pivoted her Olympic dream to one in the fashion industry with a brand, Uprisers, that allows us to wear streetwear that is representative of us. Michelle has raised over $350,000 to combat those who think that calling us the creators of the “Kung-flu” virus is OK. It’s not OK and I’m so proud of Michelle for being a trailblazer.

Vincent Zhou nominates Katherine Zhu, Karly Hou, Bree Zhang and Youyang Gu:
Katherine Zhu is a Chinese American rising golf star. She began her golf career at the age of 6. Currently, Katherine is captain of the women’s golf team at UC Berkeley. Katherine got to where she is today because of the hard work she puts in daily. Continuous input and unremitting efforts are inevitable in life. She is consistent, focused and goal-driven. She maintains an intense training schedule while balancing a rigorous course load, which reminds me of myself as a student athlete. We are both passionate about our competitive sports and dedicated. Post-graduation, Katherine would like to play professional golf to take her game to the next level. Life is full of experiences and she hopes to experience the variety that life has to offer.
Karly Hou is the founder and CEO of Wave Learning Festival, a nonprofit working to combat long-standing educational inequities exacerbated by the pandemic. When COVID sent students around the world home, she saw students struggling to adjust, parents overburdened and educators under-supported. She decided to take action and reached out to friends to start Wave, a free online learning platform bringing together a global community of 1,000 volunteers to provide diverse live seminars taught by college students around the world, 24-7 tutoring, college application help, career mentorship and community. Since its launch just a year ago, Wave has already served 13,000-plus students in the U.S. and around the world. They have goals to continue expanding in 2021 and beyond, reaching tens of thousands more low-income students and setting up nationwide chapters to work closely with local schools.
Bree Zhang is the president of the class of 2022 and Pre-Dental Society at Brown University. An aspiring future dental professional and community health advocate, she spearheads oral health educational initiatives for children and elderly, works with community health centers to increase access to care for low-income uninsured populations, and seeks to integrate dentistry with primary care and behavioral health as an American Student Dental Association Advocacy Fellow at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine.
Youyang Gu is the creator of covid19-projections.com, a widely used site dedicated to accurate modeling of the COVID-19 pandemic. From April 2020 to October 2020, the site featured a prediction model, which combined machine learning with a classic infectious disease SEIR model to make death forecasts for the U.S. and more than 70 countries. This model was cited by the CDC to help inform public health decision-making. Starting November 2020, Youyang focused his efforts on estimating the number of true COVID-19 infections in the U.S. Beginning in December 2020, covid19-projections.com also began tracking and modeling vaccine rollouts on its path to herd immunity. Youyang is currently on the Technical Advisory Group at the World Health Organization to help inform on COVID-19 mortality assessment. He has also been using his elevated platform to raise awareness on recent AAPI issues.
Kim Saira nominates Emma Tang (skated for TPE in 2019 http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00104687.htm):
Emma Tang is a 19 year old Asian American activist and a first year student at New York University. She is the founder of a youth coalition on Instagram @intersectional.abc, and has also previously worked as a youth vote organizer for the 2020 election at a non-profit organization. Emma has done on-the-ground organizing work since she was 16 years old, and has helped organize rallies in Denver, Portland, SLC, and New York for Black Lives Matter. More recently, she has been doing on-the-ground for Stop Asian Hate, including organizing rallies in New York, and creating virtual healing spaces and AAPI self defense classes online. Emma has really inspired me in terms of my own activism work, and her insight helped me develop a stronger voice and courage to navigate the activism space.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Eyes Open: An Anti-Asian Racism PSA video shared by Patrick Chan via IGTV: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CPWHLBHB_Ap/
"This is for our elders, both alive and remembered..."

We challenge all Canadians to #FaceRace - a grassroots initiative by Asian Canadians that calls on all of us to confront racism amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We stand in solidarity with the South Asian community, #BlackLivesMatter, and indigenous Peoples in dismantling white supremacist structures. Let’s celebrate the many achievements and contributions of Asian Canadians

Thank you to @laineygossip and her all-female, Asian Canadian creative team for including me in this project
The 2.5 minute video also is on the Chinese Canadian National Council for Social Justice's YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQtaCyp8f8

Sylvia

TBD
Mirai has re-posted the video she did for the US Consulate General in Vancouver: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPbC63qFCbP/

Their caption (in English and Japanese) 2 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPV5M2gHOkg/:
For #AAPI Heritage Month, Olympic medalist @mirainagasu shared with us her views on the rise of anti-Asian racism and the importance of celebrating a multi-cultural American society! @usconsvancouver was proud to partner with @vancouverftv to highlight the valuable contributions of Asian Americans and Asian Canadians.
From science to sports, business and government, Asian Americans have made countless contributions to North American society. The U.S. Consulate General Vancouver acknowledges the remarkable #AAPI individuals and communities, like Mirai Nagasu, who enrich our country and represent the very best of our society.
Relevant excerpt from this Fan Zone article by @Jayar (May 27):
As she becomes more connected to her cultural heritage, Nagasu has become empowered to speak out on issues that impact the AAPI community. She is appalled the rash of violence that has been inflicted upon her community in recent months.
"I was raised to believe that we are all equal no matter our sex or race, but 2021 has made it clear that not everyone feels that way," Nagasu said. "Issues of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion have become so important, and we need to continue to make progress in that regard. What has been happening is frightening. I'm worried for my elders who are doing nothing more than taking a stroll in the park. They are not prepared to fight back. People my age are getting violently beaten because of race. It hurts my soul to see the aftermath of the violence, but we need to see it so that people know that it is happening."
Nagasu points to #hateisavirus as a place to support the AAPI community in their march against racism and violence.
"One of the co-founders is former figure skater Michelle Hanabusa," Nagasu pointed out. "The organization works to raise awareness and educate about issues impacting the AAPI community, and it hopes to unify us all against violence towards the same."
To learn more about the organization please visit hateisavirus.org or #hateisavirus.

Sylvia

TBD
Who is Making Asian American Pacific Islander History in 2021: The GMA Inspiration List (May 10, 2021):
Kristi Yamaguchi nominates Alysa Liu:
Effervescent on the ice. It’s the first thing I feel when I think about describing Alysa Liu. She skates with such joy, energy and personality that anyone watching can’t help but smile and want to cheer her on. Her love for what she does shines through. Don’t get me wrong, there’s also that inner competitor in her that allows her to skate with attack and fierceness. So with that combination, there’s no limit to what Alysa can achieve in her career. I mean come on, she’s only 15 (16 this year) and look at what she has already done -- world junior bronze medalist, two-time U.S. national champion, in 2019 being the youngest U.S. champion ever, first American woman to land a quadruple lutz in competition, first female skater to land two triple axels and a quad lutz in the same program. And now Alysa is finally age eligible to compete at the international senior level, so with the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing around the corner, she is the rising star of these Games to watch for. It can possibly be a home away from home coming for Alysa as her father immigrated from China in the '90s. I see her as an incredibly positive role model for the AAPI community and know she will inspire the next generation of AAPIs, and particularly athletes, to go for their dreams.
Kristi and Alysa made a virtual appearance on ABC's Good Morning America around/after 10:30 Eastern time today and had a nice chat with GMA weekend co-anchor Eva Pilgrim, both individually and with each other. Here's the clip: https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1398662128849100804

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
"As Asian Heritage Month ends, I [Donnovan Bennett] caught up with Patrick Chan to discuss his racial identity, his journey in skating and how he’s helping to pave the way so that those that follow have a more welcoming path."
Excerpt from the end:
... We talked about that the very beginning of my career in figure skating. I was almost ashamed of being Chinese. I was ashamed of my parents, having my mom speaking with an accent. I would feel ashamed of that. And now I’m proud because I see others who share the same parents and share the same struggles, and yet they’re immensely successful and respected. That makes me feel confident.
That gives me confidence and makes me feel proud of where I’m from. So, it’s a bit of a full circle. I’m so appreciative of what my parents did. And even during that time where I felt shame and disappointment, they were still there every day supporting me, almost like they knew I was going to get through this and figure it out.
With the younger generation, my generation, moving into roles where we can make change and we’re getting recognition, we’re being heard. We’re being given a voice to voice our opinions and our experiences. [...]
ETA:

Figure Skating Diversity & Inclusion Alliance's Conversations in Color: I'm Not Michelle Kwan, But Thank You. Being Asian in Figure Skating (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pxK_KeBcsc
Although Asian Heritage/AAPI Month is drawing to a close the conversation and learning must never end. In this series we are joined by Michelle Hong, Patrick Chan, Mirai, Nagasu, and Tina Chen to speak about Asian visibility and experience in and out of figure skating. We discuss how they got into the sport, the pressure of Asian stereotypes, and creating space for the vast Asian experience.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here fom the Michelle Kwan thread :):
In four hours, Jubilee will premiere an episode of “Come Have Dinner” with Hasan Minhaj, Eugene Lee Yang, and Michelle Kwan on YouTube.

Press release for the show:
In “Recipe for Change,” hosts Michelle Kwan, Hasan Minhaj and Eugene Lee Yang will partner with esteemed chefs Jet Tila, Alvin Cailan and Melissa King to host dinner guests including Olivia Munn, Jay Shetty, Margaret Cho, BD Wong, Katelyn Ohashi, Lisa Ling, Auli’i Cravalho, Asia Jackson, Simu Liu, Amanda Nguyen, Tina Tchen, Ross Butler and Jason Y. Lee; fellow activists, artists and allies Sophia Bush and Brandon Flynn; and an appearance from Joel Kim Booster to celebrate global Asian and Pacific Islander (API) culture and discuss the recent and historic acts of hate and violence against the API community. The most interesting and provocative conversations emerge around the dinner table as those from the Asian community, and their allies, prove that when oppressed groups band together, the minority becomes a powerful majority and tiny ripples of action can create tidal waves of change.

80% of the crew behind “Recipe for Change” identify as AAPI. LeBron James and Maverick Carter will serve as executive producers on the special with their media conglomerate the SpringHill Company. Michelle Kwan and Dennis Cheng will also executive produce alongside Jamal Henderson and Philip Byron of the SpringHill Company.

bardtoob

The hard part for people to grasp is that claiming an OUT GROUP of people are born with or geneticly gifted with a culturally desirable trait according to the IN GROUP discounts the hard work of the INDIVIDUAL from the OUT GROUP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information