7 Best Canadian Skates of All Time

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
From Tessa & Scott to Elvis Stojko, we list some of the best Canadian figure skating moments in history.

Sandhu, Rochette, Duhamel & Radford, Osmond!

Their honorable mentions: Reynolds, Moscovitch, Shales lol

What are some of your memorable Canadian performances? I feel like all of their picks are in the last 10 or 15 years though. I’ll probably go back and watch performances from decades past.

Last edited:

alj5

I love Underhill & Martini's program to Yesterday. They had such an up and down competitive career, but this program is the program that made me love them.

I'm a little surprised that Brasseur & Eisler aren't on the list, because they do have two Olympic medals and a world championship. I really loved their 1994 technical/short program but also of course the Patricia the Stripper.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
The problem is we have so many amazing Canadian skating moments that it’s impossible to narrow down. Some off the top of my head:
  • Liz Manley’s silver at 88 Calgary Olympics
  • Kurt’s Casablanca at 94 Lillehammer Olympics
  • Patrick Chan (10 times CDN champion and nothing?!?)

Japanfan

Elvis Stojko - Dragon 1994 Worlds
This is what immediately came to mind. Though Elvis was also exceptional in '98, when he skated in clear pain from a groin injury. Like him or not, you can't deny that he was a fighter and a fierce competitor.

And my favorite V&M will always be Valse Triste - with Mahler as a close second.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Sorry my last post got emptied, board is acting weird.

ITA agree with Stojko 94 Worlds/Dragon, but it is also worth noting his Olympic FP in '98, which he skated clearly in pain from an injured groin. And took the silver - limping to the podium in his running shoes.

orbitz

"Of All Times" and they didn't include Donald Jackson's historic 1962 World winning performance with the first 3lutz ever performed ? Seven 6.0s for that performance. The two hosts deserve a spanking and a history lesson from Uncle Dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6bccdC-vEE

Sahndu's GPF winning performance should always have an '*' next to it. Didn't he win only because Plushenko performed an extra triple jump that was then discounted under IJS ?

dramagrrl

Liz Manley at the 88 Olympics (the program that made me a skating fan for life when I was a small child)
Kurt vs. Elvis at 93 Canadians
1993 Worlds in general - B&E and Kurt winning golds, Kurt/Elvis going 1-2
Kurt's Casablanca LP and move from 12th to 5th at the 94 Olympics
Elvis' Dragon LP at both 94 Olympics and Worlds
B&K winning the GPF in 1997
Emanuel Sandhu winning Canadians in 2001
Bourne & Kraatz finally winning Worlds in 2003
Jeff Buttle winning 2008 Worlds
Joannie Rochette at 2010 Olympics
V&M Mahler at 2010 Olympics and Moulin Rouge at 2018 Olympics
Lots of Patrick Chan, but the moment that is in my mind right now is his Blackbird SP at 2016 GPF
Kaetlyn at 2018 Olympics and Worlds

Probably a ton I'm forgetting as well...

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yes, IIRC. But Sandhu still won legitimately, no need for an *.
Wrong, though. Plushenko had an entire 3A+2T discounted because of it being a third combo. Had he just done the Axel, he would've won.

This is a rule change that should've happened ASAP, but it took quite some time to stop invalidating entire jump combinations.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Ohhh
Of course, not among the 7 best performances of All time, but I think this skater has his place among the best canadian skaters when it comes to artistry:

Sebastien Britten 1994 LP

:swoon:
Thanks for posting. I had never heard of him..and yet he is an Olympian.... Shame on ANL.

What was his final ordinal, and is he looking for an American husband?

Erin

Banned Member
Ohhh

Thanks for posting. I had never heard of him..and yet he is an Olympian.... Shame on ANL.

What was his final ordinal, and is he looking for an American husband?

He was 10th in Lillehammer and finished 8th at Worlds later that year. Canadian champion in 1995 when Elvis was injured, but didn’t have a great finish at worlds. The triple axel was becoming more and more important, but it just wasn’t his jump. He made it to Worlds again in 1996, but was basically blackballed from fall international assignments by Skate Canada because he didn’t have the triple axel. I still love his Mr. Holland’s Opus SP from that season. He retired after that, as it was clear he was out of favour.

Sonata

This list is heavily biased towards the last 2 decades (I suppose because the hosts don't remember watching skating beyond that time frame). Some of the performances mentioned may have won titles but were not the skater's best. I'm guessing tv rights/photo rights influenced the final choices. There's some glaring omissions, as mentioned above. Why would you ignore everything that came before 1993, lol.

Japanfan

This list is heavily biased towards the last 2 decades (I suppose because the hosts don't remember watching skating beyond that time frame). Some of the performances mentioned may have won titles but were not the skater's best. I'm guessing tv rights/photo rights influenced the final choices. There's some glaring omissions, as mentioned above. Why would you ignore everything that came before 1993, lol.

I agree. Surely a Toller performance must qualify?

Sorry - one was posted above.

Last edited:

Japanfan

Wrong, though. Plushenko had an entire 3A+2T discounted because of it being a third combo. Had he just done the Axel, he would've won.

But he did not. Hence, Sandu's win was legitimate. Plush and team certainly could have counted to 3, but made a stupid mistake.

There are so many examples of 'should person _____ have done the blank, he/she would have won'. But should have done is not remotely equivalent to 'did do'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information