630 dogs rescued from extreme puppy mill.

Japanfan

IMO punishment can't be harsh enough for individuals who would do this to animals. Hell has a special place for such people.

Those 630 (or so) dogs are extremely lucky.

Unfortunately there are so many more suffering in puppy mills. :EVILLE::(

Last edited:

Japanfan

As long as people keep buying dogs. puppy mills will flourish.

Particularly from pet stores, which SFAIK tend to buy from puppy mills.

IIRC California banned the sale of dogs from pet stores to deal with this issue.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Not just dogs. Cats too.

Now those stores have rescues that come in on the weekend with animals to adopt or they have cages in the store where rescue groups put certain animals they think will do well there and get adopted quickly.

Japanfan

I've gotten all of my dogs as puppies from family breeders. It can be hard to get puppies as rescues.

I've made contact with registered breeders regarding getting a puppy in the spring or summer, and I have to say, I think I'm going to probably go with a family breeder again. The breeders were rather unpleasant to deal with. One gave me a huge lecture on going to offleash dog parks. She seemed a bit obsessive, and I actually worried she might come snooping around to police my activities with the puppy I had gotten from her.

Another one was going through a power outage when I called her, and having to heat up water on the barbecue for her puppies. Good for her, but she got angry at me after picking up the phone (I don't know why she did that), and then never got back to me, even though I filled out and then emailed her her puppy form.

The third one didn't seem that interested and had a long waitlist.

I appreciate that registered breeders want to be careful about with whom they place their pups - though in my experience, family breeders are as well.

But it would nice if my interest were at least welcomed and encouraged. They are welcome to come and check out where I live, but I'd like to be presumed innocent to start off with.

Last edited:

oleada

Sorry, but I totally disagree. I have not found it hard to find puppies in rescues at all. We were not looking for a puppy, but when we went to the rescue event to get our dog, there were a ton of puppies (and not all were adopted). You just have to be flexible about the breed/mix that you want. Just looking at the Instagram page for the rescue I adopted my dog from: 2 standard poodle puppies, 8 lab mixes, 1 lab mix from another litter, 3 doodle mixes from a puppy mill. That’s one rescue. If you have your set on a particular brees you can go to breed specific rescues of which there are many.

Backyard breeders may not be puppy mills but they’re still iresponsible. Are they aware of the genetic issues in the dogs that they are breeding? Are they willing to take back puppies if something goes wrong? Are their dogs appropriately registered? Or are they just breeding their animals because they think it will be fun? In any case they are still contributing to potentially unhealthy dogs; the cycle of reproduction and it’s still unethical IMO.

Last edited:

chantilly

^ it’s my understanding that pure breeds are the dogs that have the most issues. We got our mixed breed dog from a family breeder and he’s had zero issues except maybe temperament, but I don’t think it’s related to his breeding.

You definitely need to be wary of pure bread dogs from wherever.

My in laws got a puppy from a breeder they knew and trusted and he had problems from pretty much day 1.

The AKC is also respected as being more discerning then its Canadian counterpart, as far as I know.

Winnipeg

People who treat animals like this should be charged and treated harshly by the law...including jail time.

No sympathy for these people at all.:EVILLE::EVILLE::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information