Meagan Duhamel is saving another dog from Korean meat market fate

aftershocks

Banned Member
I want to thank Meagan Duhamel for planning to rescue another Korean dog destined to be served as dinner to the athletes. It's so despicable that this practice of raising dogs in horrible conditions on meat farms continues. I personally stay away from eating beef, pork, lamb, etc., although I still eat chicken, turkey, and fish. I've never eaten venison, and I prefer almond milk and coconut milk over any form of cow's milk. To eat dogs, cats and horses, and actually raise them for slaughter. I just can't understand that practice. :( I mention horses because many are often slaughtered to be sold as meat after being worked to death (often as carriage or race horses), or ruthlessly captured in the wild (mustangs). And that practice regarding horses occurs in the U.S. as well as in other countries. Percherons are now bred in France for the dinner table. I read an article claiming that it's a good thing Percherons are being raised for slaughter, because otherwise the breed would be extinct. As if that's a valid excuse for eating them. :duh:

Thanks again to Meagan for shedding more light on this horrible, horrible practice. Such abuse of poor, defenseless animals!
http://people.com/pets/winter-olympics-2018-figure-skater-meagan-duhamel-rescues-dog/

Look at her pup's poor, sweet face. His legs are permanently misshapen due to abuse suffered as a puppy. Meagan says, "He doesn't even care to play. He just walks up to everybody and wants to be held."
https://nypost.com/2018/02/11/olympic-figure-skater-rescues-dog-headed-to-korean-meat-farm/

The comments by the restaurant owners are so sad and cruel. I understand it's a difference in cultural realities and practices, but still why dogs, cats and horses?

Last edited:

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
A mini dachsund! Not much meat on those poor little bones. I hope she can convince more athletes to bring one home with them. Even if they can't keep a dog, I'm sure there would be lots of takers when they put them up for adoption.

Last edited:

Japanfan

The comments by the restaurant owners are so sad and cruel. I understand it's a difference in cultural realities and practices, but still why dogs, cats and horses?

Presumably because they taste good.

People generally don't eat dogs and cats because we think of them as pets/companions and dogs do various jobs. Horses to a lesser extent are also pets/companions, although more commonly for riding or racing. Keeping a horse is hugely expensive!

It's quite amazing how the dog has evolved to form such a unique and close relationship to humans. The dog is such an amazing creature in terms of their social skills (with each other as well as humans) and ability to form connections with people. One of the reasons I enjoy going to the off-leash dog park with my dog is that the dogs has have a positive effect on the people at the park. Everyone is usually relaxed and friendly, and strangers regularly chat with each other - people who would never speak to one another in circumstances without dogs.

But we eat cows, pigs and chickens (and sometimes goats). Is it more acceptable to eat beef because cows aren't cute or beautiful in the way that dogs/cats/horses are? And chickens are raised in abominable conditions. You can't even be sure that free-range chickens are raised in good conditions, because all it means is that there is no cage - the chickens can still be packed far too tightly in crowded, unsanitary and uncomfortable conditions.

I eat meat although I think it's wrong in principle. I admit to being a hypocrite, and a hedonist.

And pigs are vastly underestimated in terms of intelligence - perhaps because they too don't fit our definition of beauty in an animal.
But pigs are actually highly intelligent, and have demonstrated a capacity for abstract intelligence that even dogs do not display. People who have pet pigs find them very dog-like.

Perhaps in the next 50 years, the human-pig relationship will evolve. And perhaps being vegetarian will become the norm - IDK, it seems to me that to a certain extent eating meat is hard-wired for humans. But we used to have to work for mean by hunting, curing, salting, etc., and people who did that had a far greater reverence/respect for animals that we do today.

And so many people live without meat, that's it's clearly possible. In a lot of subsistence cultures, meat is a feast dish and eating it regularly just isn't possible because there usually isn't enough of a supply of it (fish is easier to catch and therefore more ample in supply).

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Presumably because they taste good.

That's not an excuse either. I would imagine people might 'taste good' too, don't you think? :drama: Pigs taste good, but they are also intelligent beings and not really good for humans to be eating healthwise!

It's a disgusting practice to eat dogs, cats and horses, particularly raising these poor animals in an abusive manner for slaughter. It's horrible. Dogs evolved as companions for humankind, not food.

Your other comparisons, I mean, it is a cultural situation. But it's not really good for people to eat any of the animals you discuss. However, such animals in the past were generally raised humanely. There are many stories about children on farms having a lot of trouble dealing with developing a bond with animals that later had to be sacrificed for food. But it was not an abusive practice. Now though, I think there's a huge amount of abuse in the U.S. and around the world toward animals in general.

It's so thoughtful and kind of Meagan to do what she can to raise attention to this matter and to rescue another dog. There's so much terribleness going on in the world.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
That's not an excuse either. I would imagine people might 'taste good' too, don't you think? :drama: Pigs taste good, but they are also intelligent beings and not really good for humans to be eating healthwise!

It's a disgusting practice to eat dogs, cats and horses, particularly raising these poor animals in an abusive manner for slaughter. It's horrible. Dogs evolved as companions for humankind, not food.

Your other comparisons, I mean, it is a cultural situation. But it's not really good for people to eat any of the animals you discuss. However, such animals in the past were generally raised humanely. There are many stories about children on farms having a lot of trouble dealing with developing a bond with animals that later had to be sacrificed for food. But it was not an abusive practice. Now though, I think there's a huge amount of abuse in the U.S. and around the world toward animals in general.

But you yourself stated you eat chicken, turkey and fish. That makes you a massive hypocrite.

Japanfan

That's not an excuse either.

Works for me, as I said I am a hedonist.

I would imagine people might 'taste good' too, don't you think?

I actually think people might not taste very good to other people, although good to a certain few animals that eat humans for food once in a while (not that often - we are on top of the food change of course.

Pigs taste good, but they are also intelligent beings and not really good for humans to be eating healthwise!

I said much the same.

It's a disgusting practice to eat dogs, cats and horses, particularly raising thse poor animals in an abusive manner for slaughter. It's horrible. Dogs evolved as companions for humankind, not food.

Agreed.

Important point. Treating animals raised for food humanely and allowing them to have good lives prior to slaughter is so important. Which brings to mind calves bred for veal that never see the light of day. :EVILLE:

It's so thoughtful and kind of Meagan to do what she can to raise attention to this matter and to rescue another dog. There's so much terribleness going on in the world.

Yes. And I'm reminded once again of puppy mills :(. Those have got to go.

Also, I saw a documentary recently about animals used for experiments in Canadian labs (mostly beagles and monkeys). They were kept in cages for their entire lives as experiment subjects, and often subjected to inhumane procedures (like pigs getting rashes from cosmetics testing).

A bunch of beagles were released from the lab and allowed to be outdoors for the first time in their lives. They enjoyed their taste of freedom - it was a beautiful thing to see them engage with the outdoors for for the first time ever - but then snuggled up together in a crate as a pack - a crate was safe to them, because it was all they had ever known. :wuzrobbed

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Duhamel is walking the walk. Have absolutely no problem with her because she is being consistent.

But saying it’s OK to eat one kind of animal, but not another isn’t logical.
That's true, but there is also different kind of "cruelty" imposed on animals while they are kept for food. Tight quarters are bad, but NOT as bad as beating a puppy "to make meat taste better"...

....... now that i stupidly started my day off with this topic.. nothing else matters, not work, not skating.. (never open an animal cruelty topic in the morning).

It is not the same when an animal is beaten "for taste" and beheading a chicken quickly in one strike.

1000 thank yous to Megan for a life of at least one dog!

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But saying it’s OK to eat one kind of animal, but not another isn’t logical.
In fact, what animals we are willing to eat (and what we are not) is cultural. It's not cultural for one kind of animal but absolutely wrong for another, as aftershocks is arguing.

I also think it's illogical to argue that it's okay for a lion to eat a cow but not for me to eat one. We all have to eat to live, animals taste good and are part of the food chain as are lions, as are humans. Plus everyone has different medical, dietary and other issues so not everyone can be healthy without eating meat (just as some can't be healthy eating it).

I also would have no issue with countries raising animals we think of as pets to be food. It would be no different than raising cows or chickens or pigs to be food.

I am more bent out of shape about the Yulin Dog Festival as this is not some ancient cultural event (it only started in 2009 so not even 10 years ago) and also they seem to believe that the dog tastes better if it is distressed when it dies so you can imagine the cruelty that results from that! I also think this is one of those places where a lot of the dogs that are eaten are actually raised to be pets and snatched up (i.e., stolen) because the festival can't get all the dogs they need from a place raising them to be food.

Tinami Amori

I am more bent out of shape about the Yulin Dog Festival as this is not some ancient cultural event (it only started in 2009 so not even 10 years ago) and also they seem to believe that the dog tastes better if it is distressed when it dies so you can imagine the cruelty that results from that! I also think this is one of those places where a lot of the dogs that are eaten are actually raised to be pets and snatched up (i.e., stolen) because the festival can't get all the dogs they need from a place raising them to be food.
.. and it is an ugly story with that festival... I stopped going to Korea, even on business (and we have offices there) because EVERY food stand or restaurant that i see, makes me think of DOG MEAT. "Korea" in my head immediately associates with "dog meat".. When Olympics were assigned, i felt coals burning in my stomach.

I am surprised the Animal Protections entities are not speaking out on the issue during Olympics. everyone else seems to be using the event for their issues.

Artistic Skaters

Drawing Figures
Last edited:

tamms

As a Chinese-American, I have had many ignorant people ask me if I’ve ever had dog meat. The answer is no and I will never eat it. Totally agree that dogs are meant to be companions.

However, what I also find disgusting is that people don’t even bother to eat the entire animal after they kill it. I am talking about pigs, chickens, cows, etc. That is just cruel and disrespectful. Eating chicken? Great, but are you willing to eat or use the entire animal? No? Then you’re just as bad as others that kill for just the fur. That’s the way I see it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
.. and it is an ugly story with that festival... I stopped going to Korea, even on business (and we have offices there) because EVERY food stand or restaurant that i see, makes me think of DOG MEAT.
Yulin is in China though. Korea actually raises dog as meat. I don't think China has a lot of dog factories.

If an animal is raised as meat, I think it should be raised as humanely as possible, but it's not going to have a life where it runs among the daisies and gets taken for car rides.

However, what I also find disgusting is that people don’t even bother to eat the entire animal after they kill it. I am talking about pigs, chickens, cows, etc.
Those of us who buy meat in stores don't have a lot of choice on this one. But I am personally bothered by those packages of "chicken" where there are 3 breasts and 4 legs, etc. I often wonder if the rest of the chicken got thrown out because people prefer different parts over the other. Hopefully, the rest gets used in things like chicken soup or pet food.

tamms

Yulin is in China though. Korea actually raises dog as meat. I don't think China has a lot of dog factories.

If an animal is raised as meat, I think it should be raised as humanely as possible, but it's not going to have a life where it runs among the daisies and gets taken for car rides.

Those of us who buy meat in stores don't have a lot of choice on this one. But I am personally bothered by those packages of "chicken" where there are 3 breasts and 4 legs, etc. I often wonder if the rest of the chicken got thrown out because people prefer different parts over the other. Hopefully, the rest gets used in things like chicken soup or pet food.

You can find most parts of a chicken in Asian markets. The only parts that they might not sell are the head and its bottom, but those are almost always included if you buy from the butcher or if you order from a proper sit-down Chinese restaurant. In our culture, we don't waste any part of an animal if it can be eaten or used in a different way. That being said, raised in a Chinese household in America has always been somewhat of a struggle. Non-Asian friends think I'm weird for eating chicken feet and innards. They think it's exotic, which is hilarious because it's like they forget the chicken breast they eat was also once part of a whole chicken with feet and all.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I’m all for saving any sort of animal from a miserable life that just leads to them being used for human consumtion, but I’m also :confused: about certain animals deserving attention over others just because they are “cuter”, more intelligent than others, or because certain people are used to them being their best friend instead of their best meal.

Japanfan

I also think it's illogical to argue that it's okay for a lion to eat a cow but not for me to eat one. We all have to eat to live, animals taste good and are part of the food chain as are lions, as are humans. Plus everyone has different medical, dietary and other issues so not everyone can be healthy without eating meat (just as some can't be healthy eating it).

Cats are obligate carnivores. Humans are not. And in much of the developing world, meat remains a feast or special dish. It's true that some people need to eat meat because they can't digest legumes. But the people that don't eat meat regularly in the world far outnumber those who do.

For the most part, people have shown that they can be happy and healthy on a vegetarian diet - even a vegan diet, though that would be much harder.

I also would have no issue with countries raising animals we think of as pets to be food. It would be no different than raising cows or chickens or pigs to be food.

Some animals have better purposes than food - dogs and horses, in particular. Dogs have had an amazing evolution in terms of their relationships with humans and all the different jobs they can perform. This is largely attributable to their being social and their capacity to be of service to humans. They also know how to read human emotions and behaviour very well.

I was just thinking about this earlier, as we had pizza tonight, and Bandit was giving me that "can a have a piece please?" look. And I wanted to give him those crusts, just to make him happy.

Japanfan

They may not eat meat regularly but they do eat it. We evolved to be omnivores, not vegetarians.

Yes, and as omnivores we do not have to eat meat. Some of us have a choice.

I am not saying that people should not eat meat (as I said, I do) - though I think that in an ideal world, we would be mostly vegetarian providing that it was possible for us to meet our nutritional needs. Not sure what I think about fish, but plenty of people who oppose meat eating seem to be okay with fish (i.e. pescatarians).

But given that people continue to eat meat, I'd like to see a focus on the humane treatment of animals raised for food consumption. I understand the problem with this: it would cost farmers who raise animals for food consumption more, and that cost would then be passed on to the consumer. Consumers generally want to pay more, especially those who enjoy their $1.00 McDonald's burger specials (the horror, the horror).

But perhaps ethical treatment will become a standard for animals raised for consumption in future, and people will be willing to pay more for it - much as many people are willing to pay more for organic foods.

Karina1974

Not every culture think so. IMO Americans in particular carry things way too far with this idea of "my pets are my KIDS." Such anthropomorphism is beyond the pale into shear ridiculousness.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
But perhaps ethical treatment will become a standard for animals raised for consumption in future, and people will be willing to pay more for it - much as many people are willing to pay more for organic foods.
My prediction is that synthetic forms of meat-like products will get tastier and tastier and will eventually replace meat because they will be cheaper and, in the end, no matter how humanely animals are treated, you still can't eat them unless they die.

I don't think we are there yet though.

Tinami Amori

I should not have checked this topic, as it puts me out circ for days.... I was in Seoul in 2009 in june, our host took us to a "special dinner"... he did not know how i feel about "dog meat", he told us it will be something "unique". I thought there will be a dance show or some kind of ethnic entertainment. We got dog meat in dishes. Our Pekin office reps were there. They made fun of me and 2 other people for refusing to eat. Yulin was mentioned. I don't care where it is.... it's in "that neck of the woods and all is guilty". Why they don't just put their women's feet into a thinner, to make them neat and lean, and cut them off and eat them.... Because this is not right. http://www.independent.co.uk/travel...t-when-start-banned-controversy-a7800721.html

aftershocks

Banned Member
But you yourself stated you eat chicken, turkey and fish. That makes you a massive hypocrite.

Oh @allezfred, I'm honest in admitting that I eat limited amounts of meat (mainly chicken & turkey on occasion, and I eat eggs), but I try to stay away from beef, pork, lamb, and I've never tasted venison or rabbit. I just can't imagine the idea of eating dogs, cats, and horses. Obviously, you can label me a hypocrite for that, as you have. It's certainly a conflicting dichotomy that has likely led to many people becoming vegans or vegetarians. It's not something that escaped my notice, even as I was posting. So it's an opportunity for soul-searching and self-reflection regarding my own dietary habits. I believe there's evidence showing that meat is not actually healthy for humans to eat, especially today because of how antibiotics and growth hormones are being used. Not to mention the torturous conditions many farm animals are subjected to under current conglomerate practices.

I understand that there are cultural differences. And I understand that this is a very emotional and complicated issue as well, based on how we have been raised and what we are used to eating. In fact, there are so many abuses of all kinds directed toward animals all over the world, including in the United States (as I mentioned). My main intention was to commend Meagan most of all for her caring, and for the fact she's also doing something about what she believes in by rescuing dogs, and by sharing information on being a vegan via her blog.

I guess it's crucial for you to get your digs in and to wield your oneupmanship, self-importance, and snooty, self-righteous negativity whenever you see an opportunity. Carry on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information