4th annual Peggy Fleming Trophy - 2021 virtual edition

Sylvia

TBD
Press release article (July 8, 2021):
Entrants skated and recorded their program at their own rinks. The videos, which the athletes each submitted to event organizers, will be assessed by a judging panel, including national, international and Olympic judges, who will judge the event remotely.
Each competitor skated a 3:30-minute program focusing on the skater's ability to artistically express and present a complete program while demonstrating superior technical skills. The music, creativity and overall performance are the emphasis for the competition and all skating elements are assessed from an artistic point of view.
There are nine technical elements which have fixed base values and receive Grade of Execution (GOE) marks based on the artistic execution of the element in relationship to the program as a whole. The elements include four jump elements, three spin elements, one step sequence and one "signature move," which allows each skater to present an iconic, or new and original, move, jump or spin which is tailored to each skater.
Prize money will be awarded by Greg and Peggy Fleming Jenkins in partnership with the Broadmoor Skating Club to the winners of this groundbreaking event – $3,000 for first place; $2,000 for second place and $1,000 for third place. Additionally, Peggy commissioned a special sculpture trophy to celebrate the event.

Streaming tonight, Friday, July 16, at 7 pm Eastern time on USFS' Fan Zone here (the event will be available for on demand viewing afterwards and results/protocols link will be added at the bottom of this page):

Alphabetical Final Entry List of 16 competitors:

Starr Andrews
Maxine Marie Bautista
Karen Chen
Julia Fennell
Courtney Hicks
Sonja Hilmer
Tomoki Hiwatashi
Rena Ikenishi
Ben Jalovick
Isabeau Levito
Alysa Liu
Jordan Moeller
Camden Pulkinen
Emmanuel Savary
Andrew Torgashev
Sierra Venetta

Peggy Fleming on the PFT Instagram account (ETA that the same video is posted at the first link above): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRT_Jowl8zD/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
This looks like the direct link to stream the 2021 PFT (Rusty Kath is hosting): https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=2530&type=Live

ETA the order of skate for Group 1 (will edit in all music later):

Courtney Hicks - "Experience" by Ludovico Einaudi
Sierra Venetta - "Glitter in the Air" by P!nk, choreo. by Sonja Hilmer
Emmanuel Savary - "Io Ci Sarò" by Andrea Bocelli, Lang Lang
Jordan Moeller - "The Killing Kind" by Marianas Trench
Sonja Hilmer - "In the End" (cover) by 2WEI ft. Edda Hayes; self-choreographed

Group 2 skate order:
Andrew Torgashev - "Don't You Cry For Me" by Cobi
Rena Ikenishi - James Bond medley
Ben Jalovick - "Through Heaven's Eyes" from The Prince of Egypt; self-choreographed
Julia Fennell - "Believe" (cover) by Ella Henderson, choreo. by Ryan Jahnke
Starr Andrews - "Being Good Isn't Good Enough" (cover) by Lea Michele

Group 3 skate order:
Isabeau Levito - playing the part of the White Swan from Swan Lake (her favorite ballet); choreo. by Yulia Kuznetsova & herself
Alysa Liu - Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 35 (filmed when she was in Egna, Italy)
Maxine Marie Bautista - Alice in Wonderland film soundtrack (free skate choreo. by Shae-Lynn Bourne)
Camden Pulkinen - "Dream On" & "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith
Karen Chen - reprised her "On Golden Pond"; self-choreographed
Tomoki Hiwatashi - "Kyōran Hey Kids!!" from the anime Noragami Aragoto

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Is anyone else only getting commercials and upfront fluff? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Put your mouse (or your finger, if you're on your phone) at the bottom of the video and see if a timeline pops up that you can move the cursor along.

love skating

Clueless American
I haven't watched everyone yet but this was fun to watch. I thought Alysa, Karen and Isabeau were all lovely and Camden and Tomoki were really fun! It was nice to see Andrew again too though I noticed Raf was not listed as one of his coaches. Hopefully next year it won't have to be virtual again, although I suppose more can enter when it is virtual.

Panja

It was a great competition. I really enjoyed the watch. I would have had Tomoki on the podium, but - to be fair - I liked the young women who ended up on the podium too. But Tomoki's signature move(s) are superb!

Jammers

She has a lot more power and speed and she is far more emotive than in the past.
Is Alysa a lot faster now on the ice? That was one of the reasons why i wasn't that excited about her future a couple of years ago even doing the big jumps she was so slow and that was going to hurt her when she had her growth spurts.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It was a great competition. I really enjoyed the watch. I would have had Tomoki on the podium, but - to be fair - I liked the young women who ended up on the podium too. But Tomoki's signature move(s) are superb!
I agree...what gusto Tomoki has!

Well, I’ve now watched all and...

ALYSA LIU, WOWEE!!! Simply magnificent transformation!!! THIS is the embodiment of Peggy-style skating, to grand classical music. Bottle this up, Alysa, and you’re on your way to the Olympics... definitely threatening the Eteri Squad.
The grandest Russian-music program of the season may be by an American. Who would’ve thunk???

Isabeau also very good, also to Tchaikovsky...softer, balletic...but Alysa took the cake here.

Karen won with capable but bland, IMO. I would have called top 4 thus:

1. Alysa.... by a mile
2. Tomoki
3. Isabeau
4. Karen

Jammers

Now someone needs to work with Isabeau on her skating skills and speed too if she hopes to challenge the Russian girls on the JGP. Also she needs a coach to work on that jump technique that's not going to survive a growth spurt of any kind.

sk9tingfan

Now someone needs to work with Isabeau on her skating skills and speed too if she hopes to challenge the Russian girls on the JGP. Also she needs a coach to work on that jump technique that's not going to survive a growth spurt of any kind.
ITA. She's a bit (or more) too deliberate, although I think she's getting better.

sk9tingfan

Count me as one who sees amazing improvement in Alysa, but as an orchestral musician, those music edits to Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto are just dreadful. And with no good reason. Could have been done much more musically.
Probably a work in progress and there are probably 30 seconds of program content missing. I hope that the SCOB will allow spectators next month so I can see the full program.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Is there somewhere that lists what those nine technical elements are? Or is everybody else disabled a figure it out?

Sylvia

TBD
Is there somewhere that lists what those nine technical elements are?
The Nine Technical Elements:

4 Jump elements (one Axel-type)
3 Spin elements (one Creative Spin)
1 Step Sequence
1 Signature Move
Unique to this event is the “Signature Move” and the “Creative Spin:”

Signature Move—A creative move/movement series, or an iconic skating move, jump or spin tailored to your creativity, personal style and strength.
Creative Spin—A spin of 6 revolutions or more created with unique positions and design, giving the skater creative identity without limitations of position and features.
AJ1 = Axel-type Jump
TJ1 = Toe-assisted Jump (toe loop, flip or Lutz)
EJ1 = Edge Jump (Salchow or loop)
ComSer1 = Combination Series of Jumps

Spn1 = Spin
CgCoSp1 = Change (foot) Combination Spin
CrSp1 - Creative Spin

StpSq1 = Step Sequence
SM1 = Signature Move

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
This is an event that's supposed to be about artistry and interpretation. Of course these programs are not going to "do well" against competitive programs on the ISU circuit, because that's a completely different context with different judging criteria. Maybe we can just enjoy these programs for what they are, and thank Peggy and USFS for giving these skaters a chance to do something different.

bladesofgorey

I just got around to watching this, and I had the lowest of expectations and figured I'd just click around for a few minutes, but it was incredibly and unexpectedly entertaining and satisfying. Almost every skater introduced some unexpected and challenging elements- and it made me realize how hungry I am for challenging and interesting spins/moves/footwork that wouldn't be worth doing (or that take too much out of a skater shooting for a clean program with multiple triples/quads included). Bravo to all of the competitors, that was really a joy, fuzzy cameras and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information