4 CC 2021 in Sydney are cancelled...

Colonel Green

With all the travel restrictions between countries, not to mention the host location, the writing was on the wall for this one. Glad to see them getting another crack at it soon, though. Here’s to 2023 (which should be an interesting one; changing of the guard in some disciplines, especially dance).

Conceivably Euros could still happen, but with some countries unable to go.

Worlds is also iffy, but whether or not it happens, the ISU has to abandon the idea of using 2021 Worlds to determine Olympic spots, because at this point there is absolutely no way that’s going to be a fair way to do it.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What a bummer for Australia but it was expected. I'm glad they were awarded 2023.

Bellanca

Too many traveling restrictions and hurdles to overcome, not to mention many skaters would have probably taken a pass anyway. 4CC cannot catch a break. To this day, it continues to be considered a b-rated comp. This season aside, it's unfortunate that 4CC, which is supposed to be the equivalent of Euros, is not seen in the same light. Kudos to the skaters who chose to go in seasons past. For the moment, canceling 4CC (this year) is not a surprise—too much red tape. :drama:

skatfan

Not surprising given Australia's COVID-19 restrictions. The whole world-ranking points system is going to have to be scrapped at this point, given the GPs are either canceled or mostly in-country.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Worlds is also iffy, but whether or not it happens, the ISU has to abandon the idea of using 2021 Worlds to determine Olympic spots, because at this point there is absolutely no way that’s going to be a fair way to do it.
So how are they going to do it?

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Too many traveling restrictions and hurdles to overcome, not to mention many skaters would have probably taken a pass anyway. 4CC cannot catch a break. To this day, it continues to be considered a b-rated comp. This season aside, it's unfortunate that 4CC, which is supposed to be the equivalent of Euros, is not seen in the same light. Kudos to the skaters who chose to go in seasons past. For the moment, canceling 4CC (this year) is not a surprise—too much red tape. :drama:
It IS a B rated comp. Don't know what to do to fix it. But it has always lacked gravitas

Colonel Green

It IS a B rated comp. Don't know what to do to fix it. But it has always lacked gravitas
I reckon not have it so close to Worlds for starters.

The positioning of Euros in January helps. It gives athletes enough time to travel and make adjustments without impacting Worlds.

Canada and the USA might need to reschedule their nationals though.
There isn't any way that you can magically give Four Continents the century-plus history of Euros. It just isn't possible.

That said, nothing about the current 4CC setup needs to change. We're already past the period where the big names routinely skip it. If you look at the Four Continents rosters from 2019 and 2020, almost everybody of importance showed up, and almost all those who didn't had an excuse rather than just 'I didn't want to go'.

mjb52

It's interesting because if you think about current powers in skating, really it's only Russia at Euros. France is really the only other country that's even arguably strong as an entirety and it's pretty on and off, especially with all the uncertainty now. Four Continents has China, Japan, South Korea, the US, Canada - it should be stronger if anything. But it does still seem to lack a certain romance.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Gutted. Absolutely gutted. Knew it was coming but still gutted.

To this day, it continues to be considered a b-rated comp.
Only by people with no brains.

It's NOT a B-rated comp, or have you forgotten the incredible skating we've seen there in the last few years, definitely better than anything we saw at Euros.

Orm Irian

Like I said in the other thread, I’m sad this had to happen but glad that it’s been done well in advance and that the event can’t be turned into a domestic political football for a premier who badly needs a win right now. And it’s good of them to give us a replacement date right off the bat.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Like I said in the other thread, I’m sad this had to happen but glad that it’s been done well in advance and that the event can’t be turned into a domestic political football for a premier who badly needs a win right now. And it’s good of them to give us a replacement date right off the bat.

That's a good point. With 4CC being the only major sporting event in Sydney in February, there was no way this wouldn't turn into some kind of political arm-wrestle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information