2026 Olympic Host Vote (24 June 2019): And then there were two....

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight

The contest is formally a choice between Milan-Cortina and Stockholm-Are. Effectively it is northern Italy against Sweden and Latvia as the costs and duties of Olympic hosting shift from cities to regions and multiple nations.

The International Olympic Committee hopes — and arguably needs — the 2026 Winter Games to ease concerns of taxpayers worldwide that hosting a two-week sports festival would be a too-expensive luxury.

At least we'll be watching in a Euro friendly timezone either way! :cheer2:

D

Deleted member 53443

Looks like the Stockholm mayor shouldn’t have sung “Dancing Queen” :p

Dear God was that a cringe moment. Remember Obama singing Al Green. Now that's freaking class. This was just embarrassing. As a Swede, I heartily congratulate the best choice, Milan.

clairecloutier

Is the figure skating venue for the Milan Olympics the same one that hosted Milan Worlds a couple years ago??

aftershocks

Banned Member
Just as China is pushing hard to make headway in the Olympic team event in Beijing, Italy will surely be trying to shore up to make more of a concerted challenge in the team event by 2026. But they surely will have to be finding more talent in pairs and ice dance (maybe there are some Italian teams coming up in both these disciplines since G/F and Della-M/Guarise surely will both be retired by 2026).

I'm not sure Ghilardi/Ambrosini in senior pairs, are talented enough to rise to stronger competitiveness to take over for D-M/G. In junior pairs for Italy there's V Contarino/ M Pauletti, who placed 13th at 2019 junior Worlds. I'm not familiar with these teams and I don't know if they are still together. In ice dance, after G/F, there's J Tessari/F Fioretti, who placed 24th at 2019 Worlds and did not make the fp cut. It remains to be seen how well they will fare over the next 7 years. In junior ice dance, at the moment there's F Righi/ A Dubrovin.

In senior ladies, I like what I saw from Marina Piredda at this year's WTT (she placed 27th at Worlds in the sp and did not make the cut, but she seems to have good competitive potential). Roberta Rodeghiero was 31st at Worlds, an okay skater but not exactly Carolina Kostner. In men's singles, Matteo Rizzo and Daniel Grassl should both still be around in 6 to 7 years. These guys are brilliant and should be Italy's mainstay leading up to 2026, if all continues to proceed well for them in their careers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information