2024 US Figure Skating Championships

sk9tingfan

Former fiance lives there and Columbus is not that big. My luck I would run into him; maybe I should check to see if he's still there.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Per the Nationwide Arena website:

Bags are generally NOT permitted.

There is an exception for medical bags, diaper bags OR clutches no larger than 8”x 5”x 1”.

Medical bags, diaper bags AND clutches will be X-rayed via dedicated screening lines (identified at each entry) - a contactless step that replaces a manual search.

Should we start making calls now? :lol:

peibeck

Simply looking
Montreal will be very expensive.

Yes, I know. I had tix for the cancelled one. I'm wanting to know if they will be even worse or just the same terrible amount. Plus I got a decent lead on more affordable housing than I had for the cancelled Worlds a few years ago. :sekret: It's generally worth the extra money for Worlds because I get to see more of my favorites. It's nice to support the youngsters at Nationals, but for overall quality, Worlds is a different animal.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I think we're going to try to swing both events in 2024 (it helps that we have no big trips planned for this year so far and can drive to US Nats next year which saves on airfare) but yeah, a lot of that planning is going to depend on prices for each event. :eek:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, I know. I had tix for the cancelled one. I'm wanting to know if they will be even worse or just the same terrible amount. Plus I got a decent lead on more affordable housing than I had for the cancelled Worlds a few years ago. :sekret: It's generally worth the extra money for Worlds because I get to see more of my favorites. It's nice to support the youngsters at Nationals, but for overall quality, Worlds is a different animal.
For me, an added bonus is that I've never been to Montreal. And I have a life goal of visiting every single Canadian province. :D I've been to Columbus and ...

I am also thinking of Skate America this year if it ends up on the West Coast and somewhere convenient and/or exciting (Vegas, I'm looking at you). Plus I have a personal trip that is required that is going to eat into the travel budget.

Evgeniafan

Maybe a bit OT, but I see that nationals (Jan 22-28) is at the same time as the Winter Youth Olympics (Jan 25 to Feb 1). I wonder if this means that either USFS will skip the event or if athletes will have to choose and how that would affect selections to other events (junior worlds, etc.)

YOG schedule: https://olympics.com/en/gangwon-2024/sports/figure-skating/
US Nationals need to be earlier. Its after college reconvenes. It should be the first or second week of January. Being so late, it became impossible for Andrew to get his minimums for 4CC. They need to rethink the timing.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
US Nationals need to be earlier. Its after college reconvenes. It should be the first or second week of January. Being so late, it became impossible for Andrew to get his minimums for 4CC. They need to rethink the timing.
The only way a skater is going to be put in this position in the future is if they were A) injured for an extended amount of time (2 years, and don't have minimums from the previous season), B) were skating senior at Nationals and planning to skate junior the rest of the season but then found themselves near the top of the podium with options, or C) they are just an absolutely shocking result after qualifying via domestic competition-- say someone like Rudy Galindo who AFAIR didn't have any internationals when he won in 1996, even though he was in the top 10 at the previous Nationals.

Andrew's scores in the fall didn't exactly scream contender, at least not like a situation with Fiona Bombardier where they at least had an idea she was a podium threat in Canada. USFS has plenty of men that are at a high level and they spread the wealth out well with internationals in the fall.

I'm a huge Torgashev cheerleader and have been waiting for his breakthrough for many, many years but I can't really fault USFS here. How many people had him on their radar for the podium anyways? The threads here were focused on Brown's comeback possibly taking away chances from younger skaters- all in which I don't think I saw the name Torgashev ever mentioned.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Eh, I thought after Sectionals, and said so here on FSU, that I thought Torgashev should be added to the ISP and sent out to try and get the TES mins. I know his scores weren't exactly overwhelming, so I can understand why the USFS didn't, but I also felt like the Men's field was soooo chock full of inconsistent skaters that he could surprise and finish high enough for a 4CCs spot, especially once we realized that both Ilia and Jason were doing Art on Ice the same week.

As it is, at least the selection committee did the right thing in naming him to the team pending the TES mins, which I hope he can get, wherever they send him to skate for those.

Evgeniafan

The only way a skater is going to be put in this position in the future is if they were A) injured for an extended amount of time (2 years, and don't have minimums from the previous season), B) were skating senior at Nationals and planning to skate junior the rest of the season but then found themselves near the top of the podium with options, or C) they are just an absolutely shocking result after qualifying via domestic competition-- say someone like Rudy Galindo who AFAIR didn't have any internationals when he won in 1996, even though he was in the top 10 at the previous Nationals.

Andrew's scores in the fall didn't exactly scream contender, at least not like a situation with Fiona Bombardier where they at least had an idea she was a podium threat in Canada. USFS has plenty of men that are at a high level and they spread the wealth out well with internationals in the fall.

I'm a huge Torgashev cheerleader and have been waiting for his breakthrough for many, many years but I can't really fault USFS here. How many people had him on their radar for the podium anyways? The threads here were focused on Brown's comeback possibly taking away chances from younger skaters- all in which I don't think I saw the name Torgashev ever mentioned.
But Nationals still should be the week before college reconvenes. And figure skating has virtually n nothing the first 2 weeks of January. And men's was on in the second busiest day of football. Planning needs to be done to help grow the viewship of this sport.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
But Nationals still should be the week before college reconvenes. And figure skating has virtually n nothing the first 2 weeks of January. And men's was on in the second busiest day of football. Planning needs to be done to help grow the viewship of this sport.
Viewership of this sport is up worldwide to insanely high levels, and awareness of the sport is up exponentially thanks to clips that are shared on social media. I don't understand why we always circle back to this. The strongest demographics for advertisers and for TV viewing are in a generation that they aren't watching broadcast TV as it is and likely don't even have basic cable, but rather rely on the internet and streaming services.

Also, you really think football fans are really going to be a target audience? :lol: Well, okay.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Viewership of this sport is up worldwide to insanely high levels, and awareness of the sport is up exponentially thanks to clips that are shared on social media. I don't understand why we always circle back to this.
Because viewership is down in the country whose Nationals we are talking about? Yes, it was streamed. But Peacock is not making money so who knows how long that will last.

Also, you really think football fans are really going to be a target audience? :lol: Well, okay.

Football fans have friends and family that watch the games with them but would rather be watching something else. My husband watched most of Nats and some of Euros but he didn't watch the Men's FS because the 9ers were in the playoff so he watched that instead. (And, yes, he realized he choose poorly after the 9ers stunk up the joint. :lol:)

But regardless of audience for different dates, having Nationals so that there is only one week between it ending and 4CCs beginning makes no sense to me. Plus the college students who qualified are going to miss their first or second week of class or not attend. I think the second week in Jan would be better. Or maybe even the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information