2024 US Figure Skating Championships

skatfan

San Jose in 2018 and 2023 were completely different events, audience-wise - I attended both of them. Yes, one of them was deciding Olympic spots, and the other the start of the quad run to the Olympics.

Don’t know if there’s an obvious answer since lots of competitions this year had lower attendance.

Carolla5501

Also, not everyone is comfortable being in close contact with strangers just yet. I can see people being freaked out about attending an event with thousands of people even if you don't come into direct contact with most of them.

Yeah that’s why Taylor Swift concerts didn’t sell out in 15 minutes and that’s why the NCAA basketball games have no fans, that’s why my college football stadium that seats close to 100,000 was empty. (yes, I know all those statements are false. Everyone of those places is packed.😂)

Figure skating has been empty well before Covid. That’s not excuse. It’s marketing, its ticket prices. Let’s do Junior ladies at 8 AM on Wednesday and charge for it. Let’s not invite school groups or Girl Scout troops or anything like that because then we wouldn’t be able to sell expensive tickets to the public. We want to make sure we can sell all the tickets to people at a really high price because they’re going to come buy them.

I fail to understand why the local organizing committees are still even bidding. You look at the event and you can’t imagine how it’s worthwhile.

ice coverage

In case anyone is wondering: "Weekend finals ticket packages will be available for purchase in August." Per Nationwide Arena page:

ETA:​
Oooops, but I see now that USFS page says, "Weekend finals ticket packages will be available for purchase in early June, while single-session tickets can be purchased in August."​

... School groups during the day would help too. ...
... Figure skating has been empty well before Covid. That’s not excuse. ... . Let’s not invite school groups or Girl Scout troops or anything like that ...

A little credit where credit is due, re 2023 Nats:

- "As part of the efforts to extend the U.S. Figure Skating community and increase diverse representation within membership and the fan base, U.S. Figure Skating’s marketing, membership, and DEI departments partnered to host 10 groups with nearly 300 participants at the U.S. Championships in San Jose. Organizations such as Black Girls Surf, Kids With A Dream, Girls on the Run and 24 Degrees of Color joined other figure skating fans and members to watch athletes compete at the national level. Participants involved in the outreach initiative were provided special programming aimed at increasing interest and knowledge of the sport, such as an off-ice movement class and interactions with U.S. Figure Skating athletes. Select youth groups will also receive Learn to Skate USA scholarships from Toyota to continue their skating journey."​

Source: Skating magazine, Mar 2023, page 27​

(I remember an in-arena announcement regarding at least one of these groups. Also a table on the concourse for the group.)​

... Does USFS ever send out surveys or anything like that after the event to gather ideas? As a former attendee and FOFS member, I don't recall ever seeing one.

FWIW: USFS marketing department made efforts to conduct in-person on-site surveys of spectators at SAP Center during all senior competition sessions.
(Some volunteers were scheduled to help conduct the surveys, but I was not one of them. I have no idea how many people actually were surveyed.)

... I agree that moving 4CCs is also an option. There is no reason for it to be the first week in Feb. rather than the second. ...
... I just wonder how it got scheduled that way in the first place. Looking back over the last 10 years, it's pretty much always been in mid-February except during the Olympic seasons, when it happens in late January. So why the schedule change?? ...

From what I can piece together re bidding for 2024 Four Continents (which was intertwined with bidding for 2024 Junior Worlds), perhaps the ISU did not have a better option for 2024 Four Continents.

Chronology:
Feb 2021:​
The original ISU call for bids for 2024 Four Continents specified the dates of Feb 6-11, 2024. (Similar to non-Olympic seasons of 2023, 2020, 2019.)​
For 2024 Junior Worlds, the dates of Feb 26-Mar 3 were specified.​
As of May 2021:​
Originally the only bid for 2024 Four Continents was from Taiwan, for the dates of January 16-21 or January 23-28.​
And the only bid for 2024 Junior Worlds was from Belarus, for Feb 26-Mar 3.​
Per Jun 2021 Decisions of ISU Council:​
"ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held on February 6-11, 2024​
Considering the applications received, the ISU Council was not able to make an allotment for the 2024 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships which will again be subject to applications during the 2022 allotment process."​
Similarly, ISU did not make an allotment for 2024 Junior Worlds.​
As of Apr 2022:​
China had added its Shanghai bid for 2024 Four Continents, for the dates of Jan 29-Feb 4.​
Taiwan had added its bid for 2024 Junior Worlds, for Feb 26-Mar 3.​
Jun 2022: ISU announced provisional allotments of:​
2024 Four Continents in Shanghai on Jan 29-Feb 4​
2024 Junior Worlds in Taipei on Feb 26-Mar 3​

https://isu.org/inside-isu/isu-comm...lications-isu-championships-2023-to-2026/file (Feb 2021)
https://www.isu.org/events/isu-championships-applications
https://www.isu.org/events/isu-cham...-applications-seasons-2022-23-to-2025-26/file (May 2021)
https://www.isu.org/inside-isu/rule...isu-council/25880-isu-communication-2395/file (Jun 2021)
https://www.isu.org/events/isu-cham...-summary-applications-2022-23-to-2026-27/file (Apr 2022)
https://www.isu.org/short-track/rules/stk-communications/28828-isu-communication-2488/file (Jun 2022)

Eh, I thought after Sectionals, and said so here on FSU, that I thought Torgashev should be added to the ISP and sent out to try and get the TES mins. I know his scores weren't exactly overwhelming, so I can understand why the USFS didn't, but I also felt like the Men's field was soooo chock full of inconsistent skaters that he could surprise and finish high enough for a 4CCs spot, especially once we realized that both Ilia and Jason were doing Art on Ice the same week. ...

FWIW: After sectionals, USFS did send Joonsoo Kim -- whose sectional score was twenty points higher than Torgashev's -- to an international to get TES minimums. (I am a fan of both men.)

Last edited:

clairecloutier

@ice coverage Thanks a lot for piecing together that timeline about 2024 Four Continents. So basically, it seems like China came to the ISU's rescue by providing a host for the event--but at the cost of a schedule change (from the original planned Feb 6-11 to Jan 29-Feb 4).

Looking at the history of Four Continents, which started in 1999, here's how many times 4CCs nations have hosted the event so far (not including future allotments):

South Korea -- 7 times
United States -- 6
Taipei -- 4
Canada -- 3 (but last time was 2009)
Japan -- 2 (last time 2013)
China -- 1
Australia -- 1 (canceled)
Estonia -- 1 (substitute host for China)

I think it's time for Canada and Japan to step up. If they want their skaters to continue to have a major regional championship to compete in, then they need to support that championship by hosting. :saint:

Gusmom

Banned Member
I’m excited for Columbus but surprised/disappointed that they picked a city so close to Worlds.
I had tickets for the cancelled Worlds (I still think they should have offered us a choice to just keep those tickets for the future event) & was planning on Montreal.

But my family is in Ohio & used to live there so I kind of have to go (& my mom is tagging along). So now I’ll have to weigh other options.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Does anyone know the pricing for packages? FOFS so I can look Sunday but I need to know pricing to discuss w my mom. She may only want to go to some events.

Taso

@ice coverage Thanks a lot for piecing together that timeline about 2024 Four Continents. So basically, it seems like China came to the ISU's rescue by providing a host for the event--but at the cost of a schedule change (from the original planned Feb 6-11 to Jan 29-Feb 4).

Looking at the history of Four Continents, which started in 1999, here's how many times 4CCs nations have hosted the event so far (not including future allotments):

South Korea -- 7 times
United States -- 6
Taipei -- 4
Canada -- 3 (but last time was 2009)
Japan -- 2 (last time 2013)
China -- 1
Australia -- 1 (canceled)
Estonia -- 1 (substitute host for China)

I think it's time for Canada and Japan to step up. If they want their skaters to continue to have a major regional championship to compete in, then they need to support that championship by hosting. :saint:
I would agree. And maybe then they would stop treating it like a Senior B event for singles :slinkaway

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Does anyone know the pricing for packages? FOFS so I can look Sunday but I need to know pricing to discuss w my mom. She may only want to go to some events.
As usual they think it’s ok to just spring everything on us the moment they go on sale and no earlier. I tweeted them and asked if they could post the information but haven’t gotten a response.

Gusmom

Banned Member
As usual they think it’s ok to just spring everything on us the moment they go on sale and no earlier. I tweeted them and asked if they could post the information but haven’t gotten a response.
I emailed and got a non-response that prices would be released when tickets go on sale.
Not helpful. Even a range would be helpful

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Prices and seat map are now posted: https://www.columbussports.org/skate/tickets/

They really needed to charge less than they did. With Worlds in NA, they've got significant competition for skating fans' money.
I wasn't planning to buy a ticket anyway, but now I definitely won't based on this chart. It appears that a huge section behind the judges is grayed out and unavailable for purchase. Definitely more than was blocked off for San Jose. I'm going to shell out money for a skating event, my seat needs to be on the judges' side. I'll deal with the inevitable view obstructions (like in San Jose) just to see programs from the "front," especially ice dance. There's still a chance that I'll go just to volunteer, since Columbus isn't that far.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I dunno, I find the prices extremely reasonable 🤷🏼‍♂️

The section behind the judges surely has the technical panel and likely other officials sitting above, and probably some cameras that would obstruct views otherwise. Maybe some of those seats are VIP, too.

skatingguy

decently
That looks like the usual amount of space behind the judges stand - there are couple rows of seats for sale at the top of those sections. I've sat in those seats, and I understand wanting to have that perspective on the programs, but those sections are usually so empty that I don't enjoy the event as much because you don't feel the audience reaction as much.

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
Seats were sold for San Jose in the sections directly behind the judges, not just towards the corners. I was in row 7, just off center ice. I'm fully aware that each venue is different and seats are blocked off for a variety of reasons. The set up in SJ allowed for plenty of fans to be on that side. We were loud and totally invested. The seating chart for Columbus is just my personal justification for not buying a ticket.

TanithandBenFan

The setup is similar to Greensboro where the lowest row at center ice I could get behind the judges was row NN. There were still a lot of people in those sections whether it be single seat buyers or people sitting in comp seats.

Debbie S

Seats were sold for San Jose in the sections directly behind the judges, not just towards the corners. I was in row 7, just off center ice. I'm fully aware that each venue is different and seats are blocked off for a variety of reasons. The set up in SJ allowed for plenty of fans to be on that side. We were loud and totally invested. The seating chart for Columbus is just my personal justification for not buying a ticket.
I suspect they'll sell those seats as single-event tix, possibly for less b/c of an obstructed view. So you'll probably be able to buy seats there eventually.

Debbie S

The prices aren't terrible, especially since I'm sure Worlds tickets to be, at least, twice those prices, maybe even three times as high.
That was kind of my point. Since Worlds tix are surely going to be very expensive, the Nats LOC should have gone lower so fans would still buy, even if they also plan to go to Worlds.

The section/row equivalent to my SJ seat is $592, vs $575 for SJ.

Gusmom

Banned Member
They are smart to break it down per session -but I know that includes juniors (which I may not get to if I’m volunteering).

I actually prefer to sit near K & C though my very first skating comp, I was opposite that & had a decent view.

….decisions. Decisions…

Gusmom

Banned Member
Quick q for those who have been in recent years—
Can you share tickets to segments you don’t need or practices? I know you could when they had paper tickets but not sure how it worked now.

Wondering if i could share w my mom if she only wants to see a couple of events and I volunteer during some of them.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Also does anyone know about club sections? I know seats may be roomier, but will the actual club area be open?

Debbie S

Quick q for those who have been in recent years—
Can you share tickets to segments you don’t need or practices? I know you could when they had paper tickets but not sure how it worked now.

Wondering if i could share w my mom if she only wants to see a couple of events and I volunteer during some of them.
Assuming tix are digital like they have been in recent years, presumably they will be like any other digital ticket where you download them to your Apple or Google Wallet. Once they are there, there is a mechanism for transferring tix to someone else. You can check your phone to be sure. But your mom will need a smartphone and know how to access them.

ETA: Actually, I think the mechanism for transferring is actually when they send the tickets to you through Ticketmaster or whatever service they are using. But it can be done.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

I would only expect actual club services on the Senior finals events, if then
Also does anyone know about club sections? I know seats may be roomier, but will the actual club area be open?
At Nats in Detroit the club area was open all week, but I don’t think they sold concessions until the weekend. The bathrooms and seating areas were a nice plus, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information