2023 World Team Trophy, Day 1

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Also, Japan hasn't had depth in Pairs and Dance, which would mean forfeiting points altogether when there aren't two eligible teams, and assuming last or penultimate standings in those events if a second was eligible, while other countries with weaker singles and stronger mid-field depth could make up the deficit.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
That was true for every team there, but Team USA was the only one that had their box empty out like that (as far as I could tell). It really was weird.
Not true. Canada also emptied out and only a couple of skaters were left by the time Keegan skated - Gogo and the two women. All of the pairs teams except ConMac cleard out after the Women’s SP, IIRC, and most of the dance teams were out by the 2nd flight of men.

skatfan

Do any of you think the scoring here should be different when factoring in the points allotted to pairs and dance? When you really analyze it it really comes down to the single skaters… As far as amassing points.
Since the comp is in Japan and is supposed to favor them a bit, I don’t have a problem. This time, the singles Skaters from Japan underperformed in the short which was a surprise!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Since the comp is in Japan and is supposed to favor them a bit, I don’t have a problem. This time, the singles Skaters from Japan underperformed in the short which was a surprise!

no, I mean like there should be more of a separation of points awarded in dance and pairs. For example, if you finished last in dance, you don’t really lose that many points from what the winner is awarded.

skatfan

no, I mean like there should be more of a separation of points awarded in dance and pairs. For example, if you finished last in dance, you don’t really lose that many points from what the winner is awarded.
Ah I see, but it is still part of the bending toward singles design to have the lower rank dance and pairs not suffer much in comparison to the top ones.

Sylvia

TBD
Is that another "network" in Japan?
Yes, TV Asahi has been the host/sponsor network for this comp. since the first WTT in 2009 - this is their WTT event page:
https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/figure-wtt2023/

ETA - re-posting these links from the GSD thread:

ISU's Day 1 recap: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...-world-team-trophy-kicks-off?templateParam=15

USFS' Fan Zone recap:

Getty Images (157 photos from Men's & Women's SP & Rhythm Dance)

ETA:

Judith D. has transcribed many mixed zone quotes once again - link to Golden Skate's Twitter: https://twitter.com/goldenskate

Last edited:

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Post One, Ice Dance

I think like a lot of us when the team format was announced way back I was skeptical but I've gotten to really like it, probably because it's clear how into it the athletes are. It's probably really nice after Worlds to have that moment of togetherness, earn some money, have fun and end the season on a high note, medal or not in front of a Japanese crowd, which let's be real is probably the best skating crowd in the world. I didn't find the skating as crisp, but the performance quality for all the ice dancers was amazing. I could whine about M/T being waaaay overscored, but they were so into their performance and that was maybe the best Takahashi has ever skated as an ice dancer.

It's amazing how much better L/B's dance went to the replay music than their actual music :rofl: The baby Koreans, what a discovery! Can't wait for their full senior debut next year.

I actually hope Chock/Bates stay in for one more year just because I'd hate for those programs to be their last, and I'll bet they have a fab 80's program in them. Can you imagine the costume for Madison?! Then they can retire.

Can't believe Piper and Paul got a personal best for that, but hey, they were due for a bit of an over score and I think third was the right placement. Don't really mind C/B's scores as that's the best they've skated that, so yes that score is too high but it was also markedly better than at Worlds, at least in terms of performance quality, so I guess it's a natural progression.

France and USA need to up their Crazy Hat/Antics game in the Kiss and Cry. I'm super disappointed in France for that, and well, the USA has never been great at KnC craziness.

But let's all admit the real star here is the panda.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Post the Second, Attack of the Warhorses
Good job by most of them, but I think the ice dancers forgot to pass on the message that this is kinda for funsies and monsies...second group of ladies taking this very seriously which I think might account for the uncharacteristic stumbles from the top-ranked skaters.

Pezzetta, unfortunate choice of music aside, what a lovely skate. I blame Experience for the double flip, which was also lovely and looked oddly intentional

Dupuis, I feel like I could really like her if she could just...jump. Or were faster. Or more steady on her feet. Or had a more dramatic pony tail. Or had choreography that better matched her bubbly personality. She needs more Kurakova, less Sarah Hughes/aughts American Ice Princess vibes. So if she just changed everything, I'd love her.

Points for the Canadian get up, FEAR THE MOOSE. :rofl:

Schild, hurts my Francophile lovin' heart. How is she French? Where's the drama? The angst? This is just generic fifth flight Euros. Honestly, she skates like the really point of Canadian ladies skating. DO BETTER FRANCE.

Nice to see France has upped their KnC game...except that Evgeniia sort of resembles Ron Weasley now. A really cute, super-adorable Russo-French Ron Weasley. Rondovia Weasle (imagine accent grave over the last e).

Lea Serna, OK, this is how you French. I approve. I mean, the program's kinda terrible especially after what should have been her Worlds breakthrough, but it's terrible in a French-approved way.

French continue to climb the rankings in KnC shenanigans. Blue wig much improved. Like the swords.

OMG, this ladies event feels longer than the entirety of Worlds...we're only the fifth skater? I need a nap, and I've had a good lunch and slept till 10:30, I can only imagine how those of you who watched it live must have felt.

Guttman, not helping. Fridge break time...

Glenn, yay loop, yay green. Not going to see this program no more. I like this SP, but I'm also ready for it to be retired.

USA, better in the tomfoolery department but not enough. It's like they have a 3toe-3toe when everyone else is at least doing a 3flip-3toe.

Schizas, :cheer2: I see good Maddie showed up today. I'm so happy for her that this is how she's going to end the season. I NEED SARAH'S BOW. I NEED IT NOW. RIGHT NOW. First place, good for her! :cheer2: That's the Schizas we all got excited about when she first debuted! :cheer2:

Kim, clearly tired, maybe she should have given this a miss. Spark is just missing here. The Korean fed works their skaters waaaaay too hard :mad: . Even with the mistakes, still a lovely skater.

Korea still continues to dominate the KnC...but France closing in.

Levito, still not my cup of coffee, but I do respect what she puts on the ice. Shame about the combo, otherwise really good skate. I wish I did like her more--I definitely see why others do, I just don't care for that style of skating. Hopefully she'll grow on me--for some reason in every other discipline I can fan/not fan skater/skaters right away, but in ladies, it usually takes me a while to warm up to them. I just started rooting for Amber Glenn last season so maybe she'll grow on me next year.

USA definitely in last place for the KnC, but they are trying, bless their hearts.

Lee, I don't understand the scrunchie. The scrunchie vexes me greatly. Everything else though :swoon: I just wish she enjoyed her beautiful skating more, the Korean girls just look so tired :(

Mia, LOVES MIA AND HER BANGS OF POWER. Whoever doesn't like this beautiful piece of music is just wrong. WRONG. I don't care about her under rotations, she's delightful. And I love that the Japanese audience clapped in rhythm for a song that clearly does not need clapping.

I think France might have over taken Japan in the KnC department...

Kaori, the pressure she must be under. And I love this program and her costume. Those who don't are once again, wrong :p I don't want Kaori to turn her 2A into a 3A, you shouldn't mess with perfection. As I've said before, I'd rather watch 1000 Kaori 2As over Malinin's 4A. And if I wasn't such a huge Kaori fan, I'd say she should be 4th at best, but as that would be tantamount to blasphemy, I'm perfectly happy with her being in second.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Post C, World Team Trophy

Gogolev--Gogo is a Nogo. Luckily for Canada, the Olympics is a long ways away. I'd start thinking of putting in some serious $$$ to clone Keegan. Hot then cold, up and you're down, is a little on-the-nose Japanese DJ....

Canada a little sparse there in the KnC. Did the moose run off with the panda?!!

Lee looks like a little boy playing dress up. Or the junior waiter at the local steakhouse. He's got such a Lysacek vibe--tall lanky, not quite graceful but not completely awkward either.

Koreans dipping their toes in the avant guard waters for the KnC this time

Aymoz NOT playing around :eek:

France really killing it in the KnC, but looses points due to lack of AymozTearsTM

Jason, not quite as good as Worlds but still phenomenal.

USA, really trying to move up with the beach volleyball in the KnC

Sato, I can't with this program. I didn't mind it the first time I saw it that much but every time it annoys me more. Hello, fast forward...

Keegan, this isn't a real competition and everyone loves me, so I'm just gonna Keegan around the ice and YOU WILL ALL LOVE ME FOR IT.

Baby pics in the KnC, I guess it had to happen

Tomono, I have a high tolerance for pep, but this is ummm...no. It's more frenetic than fun. I'm getting more judge-y as this skating comp goes on :lol: Kaori is ADORABLE of course.

Rizzo was respectable, but the best was the KnC reaction. +2 Team Italia.

Fa being super dramatikkkk, even by French standards. I mean, this is bordering on Russian territory here and I'm here for it.

Cha did not get the memo about the men menning. He's going to have to go in the naughty corner with Brown and Aymoz. Audience unison clapping is so exact it's kinda creepy. Love his Korean cheer squad behind him to cheer on breaking the 100 barrier. Those screams of joy are everything!!

Malinin This program gets better with every outing. This is one I wouldn't mind him holding over for the Grand Prix to really get comfortable/perfect the PCS. It's so nearly there. For once I don't think going after Cha really hurt him. Generally I prefer Cha but can't argue with Ilia being in first here.

Whatever Jason is on, I want some.

skatfan

Malinin This program gets better with every outing. This is one I wouldn't mind him holding over for the Grand Prix to really get comfortable/perfect the PCS. It's so nearly there. For once I don't think going after Cha really hurt him. Generally I prefer Cha but can't argue with Ilia being in first here.
LOVED Ilia’s performance -maybe his mom should show up more often (kidding). Seriously though - maybe skating in the Stars on Ice in Japan and watching Hanyu up close has had an effect. Even the jump from US Nationals to this is very apparent.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I said it before the event started but I don’t see any likely way it’s not USA-JPN-KOR now.
Frankly? No. It was in Dortmund. It was a thank you for holding the event medal as far as I remember the skate and the competition
Late to this party but I’ve mentioned before- Lindemann literally could’ve won the short with a non-biased panel.. he was that good. the 4T+3T was as good as you’ll ever see, and he had a complete program with strong spins and footwork. Plushenko was phoning in the arm-flailing by then and Joubert was emulating Yagudin with toe-pick choreo and bad spins. Lambiel barely held on to the final group after his short. Lindemann didn’t give enough away in the free skate, IMO, to have any reason to be off the podium.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm a bad (and old :p ) skating fan - I can't stay up all night, anymore. So I watched the Peacock replay this morning, staying unspoiled. There were some great performances, but I was a little surprised to see just Jason with Ilia and his mom in the Kiss & Cry. It's not a good look, y'all. I hope someone with Team USA encourages a little more team spirit going forward - it shouldn't be all up to Jason.

skatingguy

decently
I'm a bad (and old :p ) skating fan - I can't stay up all night, anymore. So I watched the Peacock replay this morning, staying unspoiled. There were some great performances, but I was a little surprised to see just Jason with Ilia and his mom in the Kiss & Cry. It's not a good look, y'all. I hope someone with Team USA encourages a little more team spirit going forward - it shouldn't be all up to Jason.
The rest of the team was there earlier in the evening, but as it got later the Pairs & Ice Dance couples left.

nuage

Gorgeous program for Haein! The only nitpick I have is with the caramel-colored bun cover/scrunchie she's got in her hair. That was distracting me through the whole program, lol.
Not sure if someone pointed it out, but I think that was her blond tipped hair wrapped in a bun?

Sylvia

TBD
2 articles by Jack Gallagher - Day 1 recap:
April 12th practice day (Team Japan focus): https://featured.japan-forward.com/...s-get-in-final-tune-up-for-world-team-trophy/

Japan Times' Day 1 recap article by Dan Orlowitz (who also covered Worlds): https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/04/13/figure-skating/world-team-trophy-day-1/
“I’m really proud of my team, what a way to kick off the event,” U.S. captain Jason Brown said. “There’s nothing like competing in Japan and doing it as a team is extra special.” [...]
“I heard (my teammates’ [note by me: Jason must have been LOUD :D]) support even in the middle of the program, so I’m really grateful, they helped me go through this,” Malinin said.
South Korea captain Cha Jun-hwan, coming off his second-place finish in the worlds at Saitama Super Arena, was delighted at his team’s performance in the country’s debut at the event.
“We talked about how it’s our first time, so let’s really enjoy and skate really happily,” said the 21-year-old, who finished second in the men’s short program behind Malinin. “Today we really nailed that goal, so I’m super proud of them.”
Day 2 of competition begins Friday at 16:00 in Tokyo/3 am Eastern/midnight Pacific time with the Pairs SP - someone please create a thread beforehand, thanks! :)

mtnskater

Just finished the Peacock replay for day 1. Thanks Peacock…and probably USFS for likely strong- arming them to have decent replays. I’m not sacrificing sleep for this. I didn’t for Worlds either. 😅 Loving the no commentary feed.

Highlights for me:

Chock and Bates performed that free dance the best all season. Really enjoyed it! Kana and Dai really brought the energy and performance so I really enjoyed it too…despite the fact that he still doesn’t really look like an ice dancer. Amazing senior debut for the Koreans…props!

Amber doing a very respectable job….but get those spin levels honey! Schizas was the best I’ve see her in awhile. Enjoyed the performance. Isabeau had everything great except the combo was a bit wonky for her. LOVE the double axel into the forward leap sequence…fits the music perfectly. Genius bit of choreography. Loved the USA vogue poses in the K&C. Haein has suddenly found so much mojo and confidence. I do enjoy her! Just wish she would reduce the stiff arm flailing and soften her arms more. I really like Kaori’s program on her and that double axel…swoon. But I’m getting tired of the high scores with major mistakes and two flips. Spin positions not aesthetic. But she is soooo likable and fun to watch bombing around the ice.

Kevin is really on a roll and I’m here for it. So creative and interesting. Love the agility combined with quality. Jason is just perfect skating. Textbook perfect skating combining it all with performance and artistry…so moving. I will watch that 10 times again. Bummed Keegan was a bit off…still never tire of him. Just love Cha too. Everything great overall. The crown perfect for him in the K&C. Looked like a true prince. Thought no way was Ilia going to beat that. But Ilia on fire showed up. He actually got down in his knees more and really performed. Jumps are incomparable. Now that is how you do a true outside edge lutz….quad no less! I noticed even Cha’s lutz looked like a flutz on the replay. Anyway, best short program from Ilia this season! Big surprise for the Japanese men to be so low in the short.

Team Trophy is always such a fun event for me. Love the camaraderie and the camp! Excited for day 2!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information