2023 Eurovision Grand Final - It’s CRAZY! It’s PARTY!

Cachoo

But it's not like this is the first time it has happened. When Netherlands won a few years ago, I'm pretty sure Norway got almost no jury votes but won the televote. Ukraine definitely didn't win the televote when they won in 2016.

Tattoo wasn't my favorite entry by a mile, but both Finland's and Israel's jury gave it 12 points, and it was still second in the overall audience vote. It wasn't as if people truly thought the song was terrible and the jury held it up to win. You also have to remember Sweden was the heavy favorite to win, and of course when it comes to televotes, that might make people want to spread it out to others just because.
I thought the song was terrible and the jury held it up to win. I’d never seen or heard of the singer and honestly thought she would not make the final. I didn’t realize she already had a rich history with the show and an established fan base. Also I am not sure I buy the “spreading the votes around” theory. Did you hear that audience cha-cha-chaing? Finland found an audience with that silly song. But if this works and the audience is ok with it then great.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I thought the song was terrible and the jury held it up to win. I’d never seen or heard of the singer and honestly thought she would not make the final. I didn’t realize she already had a rich history with the show and an established fan base. Also I am not sure I buy the “spreading the votes around” theory. Did you hear that audience cha-cha-chaing? Finland found an audience with that silly song. But if this works and the audience is ok with it then great.
Of course I heard the cha cha cha’ing and I commented several times yesterday how I loved Israel the best and also would’ve been happy with Finland winning. But again, these are national juries from all over Europe and Australia, and those juries from Finland and Israel still managed to give Sweden their 12-point votes. I guess we can’t accuse them of bias, or the random 12 points that some countries give to non-threats.

And if you saw that Sweden was a heavy favorite, would you spend 20 Euros on boosting it even more? I’m sure some people threw their votes elsewhere to try to make it competitive or so that there could be an upset, especially with Finland being second in the odds. Even so, again, Sweden still managed 2nd place from the audience so it’s not like people hated it.

When Neta won for Israel, the previous winner had been going around doing interviews saying if her song won, it would be some kind of embarrassment for Eurovision and that it’s not real music, or something along those lines. He ended up having to personally hand her the trophy. Everyone has different tastes.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I’m sure it must be frustrating to hear North Americans complaining as it is not our contest but if it was an Irish entry that became the audience favorite wouldn’t you be miffed at the jury vote for Sweden?
Me personally? No. It's the way the rules are and if you don't like the game then don't play.

But I am sure there would be plenty of Irish people annoyed. :lol:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I have said it before and I will say it again - I really do hope the UK win outright at some point in the near future as it was a flawlessly hosted contest.

And now I am going to watch the Liverpool Songbook segment again, smile at Dadi Freyr singing Atomic Kitten and cry at You'll Never Walk Alone.

Cachoo

Ok well if this is the best iteration of the show then fine. Each post brings new info: Paying to play—but I suppose keeping a barrage of advertisements out of the contest would be worth it.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Listened so far to Croatia, Israel, Finland and Sweden.
Sweden actually had a song and she was actually singing. The rest were not. I would go with Croatia. It doesn't get much more insane than that:)

Who else should I hear?

Allskate

Sweden actually had a song and she was actually singing. The rest were not. I would go with Croatia. It doesn't get much more insane than that:)

Who else should I hear?
IMO, Norway.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Last edited:

SHARPIE

fsuniverse.COM (finally)
Staff member
This was actually a poor Eurovision overall I thought. I had to cleanse myself by listening to Lena before I went to bed. :lol:

Cachoo

This was actually a poor Eurovision overall I thought. I had to cleanse myself by listening to Lena before I went to bed. :lol:
I knew nothing of this contest until recently but I do remember rushing out to buy "Waterloo" on vinyl so many years ago. My one connection...

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

Who else should I hear?
Estonia.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Four Eurovision entries in Official UK Top 10 for the first time.

2. 🇸🇪
6. 🇫🇮
9. 🇬🇧
10. 🇳🇴

3T3T

A few of Eurovision has tunes have also charted in Ireland

3. 🇸🇪
7. 🇫🇮
18. 🇳🇴
37. 🇮🇱
44. 🇬🇧
67. 🇦🇹
84. 🇸🇪 (Euphoria)
95. 🇫🇷

I’m still gutted that France didn’t do as well as I’d like but great to see that they’ve made the Top 100 in Ireland 🥳🎉 I doubt that it amount to a lot of sales though. Along with Finland & Armenia I’ve listened to them a lot since the contest.

I thought the BBC put on a great show, I was very under whelmed with them in 1998 but they really delivered In Liverpool. I thought Duncan Lawrence doing ‘You’ll never walk alone’ was very moving. I wasn't a huge fan of Tattoo but I felt for the Grand final she delivered a great performance. Juries, as always with Swedish entries, loved it but she was also very popular with the public.

Roll on Sweden 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information