2023 Eurovision Semi 1 - Long Live The Queen (of the Kings)

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I really feel like this should be a wake up call for RTÉ Something has to change Enough is enough!
Just find an Irish band or singer who can sing, give them a perky song and a modern Irish dancing group to do their magic and it might work.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Does Ireland have a song competition or does State tv pick the entry themselves?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Does Ireland have a song competition or does State tv pick the entry themselves?
We had a selection this year. We have also had artists picked internally. Either way we’ve done pretty lousy. :p

Thinking of the songs we sent that qualified from semis:

Brian Kennedy (2006) - Artist internally selected, but the public chose the song.
Niamh Kavanagh (2010) - National final
Jedward (2011) - National final
Jedward (2012) - National final
Ryan Dolan (2013) - National final
Ryan O’Shaughnessy (2018) - Artist and song internally selected

Maybe we need to send someone called Ryan again. :lol:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Daily Mail article so probably highly exaggerated, but Ireland’s lead singer said they weren’t given a chance, then deleted the post - I’m not sure if he just meant that the public didn’t vote, or maybe production issues? :confused:

Daily Mail

I thought they were fine, the song just wasn’t very memorable and they went quite early on :(

I hate to think how many times the UK wouldn’t qualify if we didn’t get a finals pass.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Daily Mail article so probably highly exaggerated, but Ireland’s lead singer said they weren’t given a chance, then deleted the post - I’m not sure if he just meant that the public didn’t vote, or maybe production issues? :confused:

Daily Mail

I thought they were fine, the song just wasn’t very memorable and they went quite early on :(

I hate to think how many times the UK wouldn’t qualify if we didn’t get a finals pass.
Embarrassing to see they have turned out to be entitled bad sport losers.

3T3T

A dissapointing night for Ireland 😢 There is, surprisingly, a lot debate about what went wrong for us. A lot with the opinion that RTE are not supporting the entries properly, lack of funding being blamed. To be fair I do think RTE have tried different approaches in recent years and nothing seems to have worked.

The only qualifier I didn’t like was Croatia, I felt the other 9 were better than Ireland. I liked the Dutch song but I thought it was performed poorly. I was really impressed with Portugal & Switzerland, Finland, Moldova & Czechia. Voted for them 5. I’m surprised to see the massive support for Sweden, is it really the runaway favourite? I found her vocals a bit ropey.

This is a clip of the top 10 announcements with their own broadcasters reaction. I’m impressed with Finland. 5 different languages; Finnish, Swedish, Russian, Ukrainian & Sami

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
A dissapointing night for Ireland 😢 There is, surprisingly, a lot debate about what went wrong for us. A lot with the opinion that RTE are not supporting the entries properly, lack of funding being blamed. To be fair I do think RTE have tried different approaches in recent years and nothing seems to have worked.
I think the blame lies squarely with RTE. The formula for the last few years has been to stick the selection show on the Late Late which is a format wholly unsuited to selecting a Eurovision entry. None of the songs in the national selection would have qualified this year in any case. Ireland has a music industry that should not be struggling to qualify from 15 country semi finals, but somehow we are.

The worst thing is all the self-pitying articles about Europe not liking us when we were in the same final as Israel who did qualify. Israel! I saw (but didn’t click) on one that said we should send Dustin the Turkey again. Send an act to try and qualify that didn’t qualify the first time it was sent. The delusion is incredible from so many people here.

Until that is solved the result is going to be exactly the same.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Lots I don’t know about Eurovision but Europe seems to practice doublethink about Israel. Sternly condemns the politics and military but embraces it for vacations, food, music, culture (all of which are worth embracing IMO). I don’t much like Unicorn but Noa’s a good performer.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Lots I don’t know about Eurovision but Europe seems to practice doublethink about Israel. Sternly condemns the politics and military but embraces it for vacations, food, music, culture (all of which are worth embracing IMO). I don’t much like Unicorn but Noa’s a good performer.
She’s an excellent performer. What it does is actually prove that people who watch Eurovision just vote for the songs they like. They are not factoring in the politics of a country at all into that decision.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Based on local twitter during semi 1 I am curious to see what points the public here gives Israel. Curious to see how widespread that sentiment will be. Elsewhere in Europe eurovision tweets seemed to be all about the dance break and how fabulous it was.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I think the blame lies squarely with RTE. The formula for the last few years has been to stick the selection show on the Late Late which is a format wholly unsuited to selecting a Eurovision entry. None of the songs in the national selection would have qualified this year in any case. Ireland has a music industry that should not be struggling to qualify from 15 country semi finals, but somehow we are.

The worst thing is all the self-pitying articles about Europe not liking us when we were in the same final as Israel who did qualify. Israel! I saw (but didn’t click) on one that said we should send Dustin the Turkey again. Send an act to try and qualify that didn’t qualify the first time it was sent. The delusion is incredible from so many people here.

Until that is solved the result is going to be exactly the same.
I just saw this thread on twitter from the Irish entry in 2018 that qualified for the final and his thoughts on what RTE needs to do.

I went back to find video of his song and am surprised that someone from RTE thought he should jump out of a cake. Maybe the same person who thought that gold jumpsuit was a good idea ;)

I also think he is right, authentic Irish music is :swoon: and would do so well.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I just saw this thread on twitter from the Irish entry in 2018 that qualified for the final and his thoughts on what RTE needs to do.

I went back to find video of his song and am surprised that someone from RTE thought he should jump out of a cake. Maybe the same person who thought that gold jumpsuit was a good idea ;)

I also think he is right, authentic Irish music is :swoon: and would do so well.
It was our one qualifier in the last ten Eurovisions. It really says it all.

And :eek: at someone thinking what the song needed was an exploding cake. Wondering what drugs they were on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information