2023 Skate America Pairs FS - The Fellow Throws of Texas

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Sometimes I thing the SBS jumps should be judged separately like a lot of the dance moves, but it might score some teams down even more.
I think overall, as a whole, Code of Points has really made singles more interesting, especially lower-level skaters and less generic--if you don't believe me, watch programs outside the top five pre-2002, but it's really hurt pairs in the long run. The two shall skate as one just doesn't lend itself to levels/difficulty. I don't want pairs to go back to 6.0/OBO but I do think it needs a more unique set of scoring criteria, not just singles with some lift stuff mixed in. I don't need to see multiple jump combos in pairs, I really don't. Not that we really see them anyway :p

For ice dance, I think it's been a draw in pros and cons, but IMO slightly more pro than con. Though I would gladly sacrifice anyone, starting with the Texas Shrieker, to get the RDs and CDs back.

Amber Glynn, what have you wrought?! Who looked at Amber Glynn's results last year and said, yes, this music?!!!

VGThuy

With pair skaters it's really challenging. When both skaters nail the jump sequence, they'd score higher. When one makes an error, they'd only get one deduction, but if both screw up, it would be a disaster. And, I get that it would be a real PITA for the technical caller. It's easier to give one score. So few do really good synchronized SBS jumps which should be the goal.
I wonder if there’s anything the ISU tech committee can do to emphasize things like synchronicity again because it’s been an issue and I think the top teams who have that quality and attempted to emphasize the classic pairs qualities that made pairs distinct and simply incredible to watch have been rising above the system rather than showing how the system is actually working.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This team can be SO fun. When they finished outside the top 10 at Euros a few years ago and skated to Abba, they were one of my highlights of the entire competition (so was Nagy, FWIW). I know they have funding issues and that's likely why we see more of the same from them, but both of these programs are zzz.

Primorskaya

So is weird boobs straps a German costume designer thing then? I remember Frau Schott's green lungs dress vividly.

She's having a hard time.. Gorgeous lift. Umm were they starting up a lawnmower just then?
This really got going after a shaky start.

VGThuy

This team can be SO fun. When they finished outside the top 10 at Euros a few years ago and skated to Abba, they were one of my highlights of the entire competition (so was Nagy, FWIW). I know they have funding issues and that's likely why we see more of the same from them, but both of these programs are zzz.
I really wish I lived in a society that valued this sport more to where funding issues wouldn’t be so severe for competing skaters as they are.

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Selfishly I still think she should partner up with Nagy. I don't care which country they represent.
Yessss...what do we have to do to make this happen?!! I WILL DO IT. I DEMAND THIS PARTNERSHIP. They could skate for US, Canada, Azerbaijan, Georgia. I am already fangerling them in my head.

ETA: I did not originally catch it autocorrected to fingerling instead. I assure you, I have no desire to pelt them with odd-shaped small potatoes.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
H/k this music is much more of a drag in person hahaha beautiful throws! Very high but not a lot of distance. Lifts were fine i guess.

skatingguy

decently
Hocke, Annika/Kunkel, Robert 🇩🇪
Coach: O. Hotarek, F. Bianconi, R. Murante
Music: Without You by Ursine Vulpine, Annaca

3Tw 4
3S< - timing off - she hesitated & fell
2A+1A+2Aq+SEQ - Annika got stuck on the 3rd jump & twizzled the landing

5 Rev Lasso Lift 4
Throw 3F
5 Axel Lasso Lift 4
Choreo Sequence
Throw 3Lo
3 Lift 4
Back Inside Death Sp 2
Pair Combo Spin 3

Class of the field in the pairs elements. What sacrifice needs to be made to get Annika to land her jumps at just one competition this season. Euros, or Worlds preferably, but I'm not that picky. Bearded Hotarek looking good. 😎

120.64 = 1st Place
184.23 = 1st Place

Last edited:

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Lia & Trent - sigh. On one hand, I've yet to see a program do justice to the Gladiator soundtrack -- at least the beautiful Lisa Gerrard pieces, as the rest is fairly generic. So I'm not sure why I didn't expect this to be a bust, but still... disappointing.

She's got moments of nice positions and such, but just misses the mark. Really hope they improve their stretch and line. And drop the split lift. (Damn you, @tony, for reminding me of another Canadian "what if" team I loved)

Love Liu & Nagy, though do I understand right that I shouldn't get attached? :lol:

Bit of a bloodbath tonight, which is too bad.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
And that was that for Pairs. I preferred the beauty & style of Pereira/Michaud but the Germans’ last throws were great.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I wonder if there’s anything the ISU tech committee can do to emphasize things like synchronicity again because it’s been an issue and I think the top teams who have that quality and attempted to emphasize the classic pairs qualities that made pairs distinct and simply incredible to watch have been rising above the system rather than showing how the system is actually working.
Exactly. Moskvina's teams are a perfect example. She still emphasizes those classic qualities and it shows. Good quality pair skating will always be my favorite figure skating. Details to lift positions, synchronicity, run out on the throw jumps...

Matryeshka

Euler? Euler? Anyone?
Lia & Trent - sigh. On one hand, I've yet to see a program do justice to the Gladiator soundtrack -- at least the beautiful Lisa Gerrard pieces, as the rest is fairly generic. So I'm not sure why I didn't expect this to be a bust, but still... disappointing.
Pretty sure Yagudin had the definitive Gladiator program when stabbed the freaking ice.

VGThuy

Liu/Nagy were the most quality pair, but tech. Issues cost them. With Liu, this may always be the case but I’m gonna be irrational and still invest in this team and believe she can somehow figure out how to be more stable with her jumps overall. Sorry to repeat myself but I truly believe the issue with her jumps isn’t to do with mental issues as they usually are. There’s something about the way she messes up on them that make me think there’s a more practical fix. But I have no idea what I’m talking about, so don’t take me seriously. :lol:

Sally1214

The announcer keeps saying that the women's short is just a few moments away ... but don't we have a break of about 1 1/2 hours right now??

VGThuy

Exactly. Moskvina's teams are a perfect example. She still emphasizes those classic qualities and it shows. Good quality pair skating will always be my favorite figure skating. Details to lift positions, synchronicity, run out on the throw jumps...
This is why classic Russian style (Moscow technique and execution of elements with the personality and vision of St. Petersburg) will always be my favorite and I really really really have trouble letting go of that.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Liu/Nagy were the most quality pair, but tech. Issues cost them. With Liu, this may always be the case but I’m gonna be irrational and still invest in this team and believe she can somehow figure out how to be more stable with her jumps overall. Sorry to repeat myself but I truly believe the issue with her jumps isn’t to do with mental issues as they usually are. There’s something about the way she messes up on them that make me think there’s a more practical fix. But I have no idea what I’m talking about, so don’t take me seriously. :lol:

looking at the results, I mean it was anyone’s to win, all three were quite close in the free program

VGThuy

The announcer keeps saying that the women's short is just a few moments away ... but don't we have a break of about 1 1/2 hours right now??
She’s probably really saying, “Hurry up and go to the bathroom and grab your snacks now because with the lines, that 1.5 hours will fly by.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information