2023 Oscars “Red” Carpet & Ceremony

caseyedwards

I'd say Streep wuzrobbed quite a few times ("Silkwood," "A Cry in the Dark," "Bridges of Madison County," "Julie and Julia" "The Devil Wears Prada") before she won her third (and probably final) Oscar for "Iron Lady," which was definitely not the greatest film, but which was 20 years(!!!) after "Sophie's Choice". I guess the Academy should have held out for her turn in "August, Osage County" where she chewed the scenery to toothpicks every bit as much as Blanchett did in "Tar?"

I believe the Academy will recognize Blanchett again, but like Streep they will probably won't be in a hurry to dole out a rare third Oscar. 🤷‍♂️
Streep was amazing in most of those movies but not Sophie’s choice level. Eventually she would win another because it had been so long and she was nominated so many times. Maybe that will happen to Blanchett too. But it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t beehive Tar is her peak much like Sophie for Meryl

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
The audience enthusiasm is usually a good indicator of who the audience really enjoyed the most and the applause was rapturous for Yeoh.

Definitely! I thought the crowd was rather raucous tonight, but it made it feel like a surprisingly intimate and charming setting.

There was also an immediate standing ovation for the guys who wrote Naatu Naatu when they won for original song.

peibeck

Simply looking
Streep was amazing in most of those movies but not Sophie’s choice level. Eventually she would win another because it had been so long and she was nominated so many times. Maybe that will happen to Blanchett too. But it’s hard to find someone who doesn’t beehive Tar is her peak much like Sophie for Meryl

Sigh. Well maybe Academy voters considered that this is Yeoh's "Sophie's Choice," and, who at age 60, is not likely to get another role so powerful to exhibit her many talents in again?

VGThuy

Close up pic with a compare and contrast with a pic of Indiana Jones and Short Round:

And to think Spielberg was nominated as well. It’s incredible.

I love this moment because it just shows you never know the impact you can have on a person when you just give them an opportunity.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'd say Streep wuzrobbed quite a few times ("Silkwood," "A Cry in the Dark," "Bridges of Madison County," "Julie and Julia" "The Devil Wears Prada") before she won her third (and probably final) Oscar for "Iron Lady," which was definitely not the greatest film, but which was 20 years(!!!) after "Sophie's Choice". I guess the Academy should have held out for her turn in "August, Osage County" where she chewed the scenery to toothpicks every bit as much as Blanchett did in "Tar?"

I believe the Academy will recognize Blanchett again, but like Streep they probably won't be in a hurry to dole out a rare third Oscar. 🤷‍♂️
Frances McD didn't have to wait long to get her third Oscar. Why must Streep and Blanchett wait for 20 years for theirs?

I wanted Cate to win because her performance was so great, but I wondered if having won two Oscars already may hurt her chances? Michelle had not won until tonight. Was it a factor?

I think some day Cate will win again, and she may not have to wait for 20 years. Meryl wuzrobbed many times, and she will never get her fourth Oscar. Cate may have a chance because she is younger and has many years ahead of her.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sigh. Well maybe Academy voters considered that this is Yeoh's "Sophie's Choice," and, who at age 60, is not likely to get another role so powerful to exhibit her many talents in again?
I didn't know she was 60. She doesn't look it at all.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
I have not seen EEAAO and can't really figure it out from the clips and the commercials I've seen.

I am a fan of emotional, dramatic, heroic films, so would EEAAO appeal to someone like me?
maybe? I found it hilarious and great, and my gf haaaaaaaaated it, which surprised me. I think you either get on board with the absurdity or don't.

I do think the film owes a ton to both The Matrix and Being John Malkovich.

Loves_Shizuka

I also preferred Cate Blanchett to win tonight, but congrats to Michelle Yeoh.

Gutted for Angela Bassett though.

I just couldn't get in to EEAAO. Tbf, I watched it not long after I'd been unwell, so maybe I just wasn't in the right mood; perhaps I'll give it another go.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I also preferred Cate Blanchett to win tonight, but congrats to Michelle Yeoh.

Gutted for Angela Bassett though.

I just couldn't get in to EEAAO. Tbf, I watched it not long after I'd been unwell, so maybe I just wasn't in the right mood; perhaps I'll give it another go.
I didn't care for EEAAO at all. I couldn't focus, and all the silliness was too much for me. I am really glad I didn't pay to see it in a movie theatre.

Didn't care that much Tar, either, TBH. But I did think Blanchette deserved the award.

peibeck

Simply looking
I put a wrong stat in my earlier post, it actually was 30 (!!!) years between Streep's two Best Actress honors.

I think Frances McDormand's 3 Oscars are all leading actress, the only other living actress with as many wins.

peibeck

Simply looking
Another new stat: "Everything, Everywhere, and All at Once" joins only "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "Network" in winning three of the four acting categories. :eek:

I enjoyed the movie, even though I felt it was disjointed, but definitely wouldn't put it on the level of those two masterclasses of in acting.

screech

Brendan Fraser - first ever Canadian to win best actor! I have no desire to see The Whale, but once it won best makeup (which received mixed reviews upon its release), I knew he was going to win over Austin.

Ke Huy Quan is just adorable. He is such a ray of sunshine in human form. And between him and Brendan, I seriously need to rewatch Encino Man.

Happy for Michelle (even if I didn't love her dress). EEAAO is the only one of the lead actress performances I've seen, so I can't comment on deservedness, but happy for her.

I have mixed thoughts on supporting actress. Personally, from EEAAO I much preferred Stephanie Hsu to Jamie Lee (in what was basically a glorified cameo). Angela Bassett was good, but it wasn't the world's greatest performance or anything. Kerry Condon was good too.

A lot of fashion duds last night IMO, but my best dressed was Malala. That gorgeous sequinned dress with that hood? Stunning. (and a great lipstick too)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I put a wrong stat in my earlier post, it actually was 30 (!!!) years between Streep's two Best Actress honors.

I think Frances McDormand's 3 Oscars are all leading actress, the only other living actress with as many wins.
I thought Frances won supporting for her second O.

peibeck

Simply looking
A lot of fashion duds last night IMO, but my best dressed was Malala. That gorgeous sequinned dress with that hood? Stunning. (and a great lipstick too)

Cara Delevigne, Angela Bassett and Kerry Condon were my best dressed. Honorable mention to Emily Blunt of the many, many white gowns this year, but I felt like she needed a banger of a statement necklace with it.

sk8pics

Close up pic with a compare and contrast with a pic of Indiana Jones and Short Round:

And to think Spielberg was nominated as well. It’s incredible.

I love this moment because it just shows you never know the impact you can have on a person when you just give them an opportunity.
That is such a sweet picture.

screech

Cara Delevigne, Angela Bassett and Kerry Condon were my best dressed. Honorable mention to Emily Blunt of the many, many white gowns this year, but I felt like she needed a banger of a statement necklace with it.
IMO Cara looked fantastic. I liked Kerry's dress, but her hair looked like an afterthought (as someone else with thin, straight hair, I sympathize with the limpness, but something else could have been done). I loved the colour of Angela's but was underwhelmed by the actual design.
I also really liked Ariana DeBose's dress on her.
One of my other best dressed of the night is Harry Shum Jr. That jacket was gorgeous.

just tuned in

I generally don't like dresses with cut-outs or bare midriffs, but I will make the exception for Mindy Kaling (same dress in both black and white!), and Janelle Monáe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information