2023-24 US Pairs Discussion - Chan you count Howe many teams we have?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
What about “cheerleader” Cayla Smith & her new partner, now at the Youth Olympics?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What about “cheerleader” Cayla Smith & her new partner, now at the Youth Olympics?
Hard to say. Their score at their one NQS event last fall wasn't too great. We'll get our first look at them tomorrow/tonight during the SP and know more then. :)

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
They would need to be monitored in 4-5 weeks so decisions can be made. Hard to fathom, realistically, how an extra month of rehab is going to result incredibly different results than the prior seven months did. One can hope, but... :shuffle:

that’s what I’m thinking Im like if they can’t do any lifts now how are they gonna be able to do all these lifts six weeks from now?

A.H.Black

They would need to be monitored in 4-5 weeks so decisions can be made. Hard to fathom, realistically, how an extra month of rehab is going to result incredibly different results than the prior seven months did. One can hope, but...:shuffle::shuffle:

that’s what I’m thinking Im like if they can’t do any lifts now how are they gonna be able to do all these lifts six weeks from now?
It is possible that he was only medically cleared to start lifting quite recently. If that is the case, there may be some good progress in the next several weeks. I say that as someone who is recovering from surgery - took a while to be cleared for PT and only now am I seeing good progress.

That said, I'm sure they would be monitored.

Karen-W

they were the only team to skate clean, yes, they should be in first and on the world’s team and on the Olympic team

🥇
They were not the only team to skate clean - McBeath/Parkman were also clean and with a higher level of difficulty in their elements.

Martins/Bedard had a Base level 3tw and a L2 on their step sequence. Those are things they need to improve before they're going to be in the conversation for anything more than alternate spots.

Reactions: LSp

acraven

I don't think we know when Howe had surgery. From the article I read, I had the impression it wasn't right after Worlds. As anyone who has had elective surgery knows, you first have to identify the right person to deal with your problem, then you need to get an initial appointment with that doctor. Only then can you get on his or her surgery schedule. The entire process can take months.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I don't think we know when Howe had surgery. From the article I read, I had the impression it wasn't right after World's. As anyone who has had elective surgery knows, you first have to identify the right person to deal with your problem, then you need to get an initial appointment with that doctor. Only then can you get on his or her surgery schedule. The entire process can take months.
Sometime in May - and he was in Colorado Springs until July recovering.

olympic

Test Skate for Chan / Howe prior to Worlds, maybe? It wouldn't be a foolish thing for the USFSA to do. We are wanting in the World of pairs.

That said, I enjoyed watching the Pairs SP. I see certain shifts in the US - Jenny Meno is coaching a burgeoning group of pairs skaters but her teams, as well as others, all seem interested in choreo and committing to programs / achieving levels / landing jumps and doing the complicated lifts. Kinda the way so many rank-and-file US Ice Dance teams have been for a while, to a lesser degree of course. I feel that has been missing for the rank-and-file pairs in the US for a long time.

Amy L

Can we start manifesting Flores/Wang and Williams/Lewer skating seniors domestically next season and pushing their training mates of Kam/O'Shea off the podium and out of the 2026 Olympic conversation?
Lewer isn't going to be in the Olympic conversation unless he wants to be an Aussie again (oi! oi! oi!)

Carolla5501

Personally, I think if there’s any chance that Chan/Howe. can hold it together for world without injuring him, we send them.

I am a little worried that some of those other options are going to just bury themselves in the standings. People are arguing about which team should’ve been in first but the truth is neither one of them put out a great performance that would’ve stood up well internationally.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I am a little worried that some of those other options are going to just bury themselves in the standings. People are arguing about which team should’ve been in first but the truth is neither one of them put out a great performance that would’ve stood up well internationally.
E/M were miles better than K/O, though. They just were. Obviously they weren't perfect, but they were better.

Karen-W

Personally, I think if there’s any chance that Chan/Howe. can hold it together for world without injuring him, we send them.

EfiMit were far better than KamOSh and should have won. Guaranteed they would score far better internationally than they did this weekend.

Baby Yoda On Skates

Not to mention Kam/O'Shea have yet to beat the score Alisa put up last year at Worlds. And their last GP LP score didn't even break 100. Sending K/O to Worlds as National champions isn't going to automatically establish any credit for them. Especially if she blows the throw again and they potentially don't make the LP.

sk8nlizard

And yet yesterday she was jumping better than Ellie. 🤷‍♀️
Did she? I am not a fan of either team (My faves are McBeath/Parkman), however, looking at protocols, in the short Ellie got full credit for her 3 sal (with a small negative GOE) and Alisa’s 3 toe was called under rotated.
In the free, Ellie’s 3 sal was called rotated with high GOE, and the 3 Toe was called rotated but with very negative GOE. Alisa 3 toe was again called under rotated and her 3 sal was called clean but with negative GOE. Neither one is exactly setting the pair world on fire with their jumping.

Throws…Alisa is absolutely better….

Sarah

Did she? I am not a fan of either team (My faves are McBeath/Parkman), however, looking at protocols, in the short Ellie got full credit for her 3 sal (with a small negative GOE) and Alisa’s 3 toe was called under rotated.
In the free, Ellie’s 3 sal was called rotated with high GOE, and the 3 Toe was called rotated but with very negative GOE. Alisa 3 toe was again called under rotated and her 3 sal was called clean but with negative GOE. Neither one is exactly setting the pair world on fire with their jumping.

Throws…Alisa is absolutely better….
These were some very generous calls… I suspect USFS didn’t want an ineligible team winning…

Baby Yoda On Skates

Sketchy SBS jumps plague a lot of teams worldwide. I can deal with that. I’ve seen Ellie land one triple throw ever. That’s not acceptable to me for a senior level national champion. Sorry not sorry.
Was it in the warm-up? I thought I saw her land a throw, but I wasn't watching closely enough to see the rotation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information