2023-24 Pairs General Discussion - Join the SBS Double Salchow Club!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Getting back to talking about pairs...

Who else is excited for one more "don't put me on display" crotch-shot lift from Laurin/Ethier at Worlds next month?

We can all act like middle school-aged boys in the pbp thread!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
In a couple of places, per FSU habit. :D Here's one of them.

Karen-W

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Wise decision based upon how they looked at 4CCs.

Also out of Challenge Cup are Piegad/Strekalin. Interestingly, Faula/Belle who were listed as subs did not replace them.

On the junior side, the young Hungarians are out which leaves just Wood/Lapsky from GBR making their International debut.

It’s looking super good here for Isabelle and Ryan to medal

🙌🏼🤩💅🏼💣

Karen-W

Well, Danilova/Tsiba are out, so Martins/Bedard's chances at a medal just increased substantially.

Don't get me wrong, if Les Kovs skate like crap, I'll probably rant that they don't deserve to beat MarBed when they do because they are usually overscored IMO. But MarBed are going to need to skate perfectly clean (no failed/aborted lifts) and hope Les Kovs make multiple mistakes in order to wind up ahead of them and on the podium.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Oh, I still think the chances of them medaling are minimal, but Les Kovs are potentially beatable unlike DanTsi and the two Italian teams. 😉

You mean the team that didn’t even finish Europeans?

I like them, but gürrrrllllllllll

Sidenote, is anybody else stuck on Wordle today?

Karen-W

You mean the team that didn’t even finish Europeans?

I like them, but gürrrrllllllllll

Sidenote, is anybody else stuck on Wordle today?
Well, they didn't finish Euros because she was deathly ill with the flu. Let's assume they're at least healthy this week, lol.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

Well, they didn't finish Euros because she was deathly ill with the flu. Let's assume they're at least healthy this week, lol.

Oh, I thought it was because of the nasty fall on the throw in the short program.

Oh my gosh, I’m on figure skating withdrawal, something needs to appear on Peacock soon

Karen-W

Neither Kucianova/Bidar nor Nagaoka/Moriguchi earned the SP TES mins they needed for Worlds, so the field should be set at 24 teams.

AUS - Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore
AUT - Schaller/Mayr
CAN - Laurin/Ethier, Pereira/Michaud, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps
CHN - Peng/Wang
FIN - Vaananen/Clerici
FRA - Kovalev/Kovalev
GBR - Vaipan-Law/Digby
GEO - Metelkina/Berulava
GER - Hase/Volodin, Hocke/Kunkel
HUN - Pavlova/Sviatchenko
ITA - Beccari/Guarise, Conti/Macii
JPN - Miura/Kihara
NED - Danilova/Tsiba
PHI - Gamez/Korovin
POL - Chtchetinina/Wozniak
SWE - Crafoord/Crafoord
UKR - Holichenko/Darenskyi
USA - Chan/Howe, Kam/O'Shea, Plazas/Fernandez

ETA - 6 warm-up groups - top 12 in WS are seeded - should look like this -
Groups 1, 2, 3 - Hase/Volodin, Kam/O’Shea, Laurin/Ethier, Vaipan-Law/Digby, Metelkina/Berulava, Peng/Wang, Crafoord/Crafoord, Vaananen/Clerici, Gamez/Korovin, Holichenko/Darenskyi, Chtchetinina/Wozniak, Schaller/Mayr
Group 4 - Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore, Pereira/Michaud, Kovalev/Kovalev, Danilova/Tsiba
Group 5 - Pavlova/Sviatchenko, Plazas/Fernandez, Chan/Howe, Beccari/Guarise
Group 6 - Conti/Macii, Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps, Miura/Kihara, Hocke/Kunkel

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Cross-posting from the Challenge Cup thread:

This is from GoldenSkate on Twitter:

"Update on the Italian Pairs team for Worlds: European Champions Lucrezia Beccari and Matteo Guarise have guaranteed their spot by winning Europeans. Lucrezia stated that she is super excited for her first Worlds. The goal is to break the 200 points and enjoy the competition. Upcoming Monday the Italian Federation will decide about the second entry. #ChallengeCup"

https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1761457008388051140

Did we know this? I thought this competition was a skate-off to help determine which 2 out of B/G, G/A, and C/M would go!

Karen-W

Cross-posting from the Challenge Cup thread:

This is from GoldenSkate on Twitter:

"Update on the Italian Pairs team for Worlds: European Champions Lucrezia Beccari and Matteo Guarise have guaranteed their spot by winning Europeans. Lucrezia stated that she is super excited for her first Worlds. The goal is to break the 200 points and enjoy the competition. Upcoming Monday the Italian Federation will decide about the second entry. #ChallengeCup"

https://twitter.com/goldenskate/status/1761457008388051140

Did we know this? I thought this competition was a skate-off to help determine which 2 out of B/G, G/A, and C/M would go!
Per @Andrea82 after Euros, the Worlds team for Italy is decided by a points system and ConMac had a huge lead over both BecGuar and GhiAmbro. BecGuar pulled ahead of GhiAmbro after their Euros win. Any decision on Monday for the 2nd spot SHOULD be just a formality, I'd think.

Karen-W

So, there are 25 teams - missed that CZE Simioli/Zarbo have the TES mins. It also means that Hase/Volodin are seeded.

Sylvia

TBD
Is there a replacement list for skaters/teams who withdraw?
Re-posting here from the Entries thread in the 2024 Worlds subforum:
No, only Les Kovs and Piegad/Strekalin have the mins. Vouillamoz/Giniaux split last fall, Faula/Belle and Ehrhard/Pellegris don't have the minimums, and Matte/Pierre can't compete internationally until she gets her release from Skate Canada.
2024 Worlds Pairs entries (FRA not yet removed from the original 2/27 list): https://results.isu.org/events/wc2024_Pairs.htm

No. Name Nation
1 Anastasia GOLUBEVA / Hektor GIOTOPOULOS MOORE AUS 1
2 Sophia SCHALLER / Livio MAYR AUT 2
3 Kelly Ann LAURIN / Loucas ETHIER CAN 3
4 Lia PEREIRA / Trennt MICHAUD CAN 3
5 Deanna STELLATO-DUDEK / Maxime DESCHAMPS CAN 3
6 Cheng PENG / Lei WANG CHN 4
Siyang ZHANG / Yongchao YANG CHN 4 S
7 Federica SIMIOLI / Alessandro ZARBO CZE 5
8 Milania VAANANEN / Filippo CLERICI FIN 6
9 Camille KOVALEV / Pavel KOVALEV FRA 7 [to be removed]
Oceane PIEGAD / Denys STREKALIN FRA 7 S [to be removed]
10 Anastasia VAIPAN-LAW / Luke DIGBY GBR 8
Lydia SMART / Harry MATTICK GBR 8 S
11 Anastasiia METELKINA / Luka BERULAVA GEO 9
12 Minerva Fabienne HASE / Nikita VOLODIN GER 10
13 Annika HOCKE / Robert KUNKEL GER 10
14 Maria PAVLOVA / Alexei SVIATCHENKO HUN 11
15 Lucrezia BECCARI / Matteo GUARISE ITA 12
16 Sara CONTI / Niccolo MACII ITA 12
Irma CALDARA / Riccardo MAGLIO ITA 12 S
Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI ITA 12 S [1st alt., I assume]
Anna VALESI / Manuel PIAZZA ITA 12 S
17 Riku MIURA / Ryuichi KIHARA JPN 13
18 Daria DANILOVA / Michel TSIBA NED 14
19 Isabella GAMEZ / Aleksandr KOROVIN PHI 15
20 Ioulia CHTCHETININA / Michal WOZNIAK POL 16
21 Greta CRAFOORD / John CRAFOORD SWE 17
22 Sofiia HOLICHENKO / Artem DARENSKYI UKR 18
Violetta SIEROVA / Ivan KHOBTA UKR 18 S
23 Emily CHAN / Spencer Akira HOWE USA 19
24 Ellie KAM / Danny O'SHEA USA 19
25 Valentina PLAZAS / Maximiliano FERNANDEZ USA 19
Chelsea LIU / Balazs NAGY USA 19 S [1st alt.]
Isabelle MARTINS / Ryan BEDARD USA 19 S [2nd alt. status confirmed after they got the SP TES minimum they needed at Challenge Cup in NED]

S - Substitute Entry
27/02/2024 14:37:05 UTC

ETA - cross-posting here from the French news thread in GSD:
Camille Kovalev posted today that “Yesterday Pavel had a very bad fall in training…”: https://www.instagram.com/p/C35vvKKLuv7/

And Oceane Piegad posted about a (what sounds like her?) foot injury: https://www.instagram.com/p/C3551joLgHh/

Last edited:

Karen-W

From the Jr Worlds Pairs FS thread -

JWC Spots for next season -
3 GEO, USA & CAN
2 ITA, UKR, CZE & FRA

JGP Spots for next season -
3 entries in 4 events - GEO, USA, CAN & ITA
2 entries in 4 events - UKR, CZE, FRA, ISR, HUN, SVK, JPN & GER
1 entry in 4 events - GBR & ESP
1 entry in 3 events - all other ISU members

dancing_on_ice

Are William/Lewer guaranteed at least 1 Grand Prix spot next season by winning a medal at Junior Worlds? The language on the Grand Prix announcement document from this past year is that
Medallists from the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2023 and gold medallists from theISU Junior Grand Prix Final 2022/23 will be included in the selection process
Not a guarantee of a spot, but I think it's generally pretty rare that Junior World medalists don't get at least 1 Grand Prix assignment

EDIT
Teams on both top 24 season's best and top 24 world standings (can be assumed to get 2 spots if staying together):
  1. Stellato/Deschamps
  2. Hase/Volodin
  3. Conti/Macii
  4. Metelkina/Berulava
  5. Beccari/Guarise
  6. Ghilardi/Ambrosini
  7. Perreira/Michaud
  8. Pavlova/Sviatchenko
  9. Hocke/Kunkel
  10. Miura/Kihara
  11. Kam/O'Shea
  12. Golubeva/Gioutopoulus Moore
  13. Danilova/Tsiba
  14. Laurin/Ethier
  15. Kovalev/Kovalev
  16. Plazas/Fernandez
Just top 24 season's best (higher placed teams will probably be guaranteed 2 spots)
  1. Peng/Wang (12th)
  2. Liu/Nagy (14th)
  3. Vaananen/Clerici (18th)
  4. Holichenko/Darenskyi (24th)
Just top 24 world standings
  1. Chan/Howe (9th)
  2. Vaipan-Law/Digby (19th)
  3. Valesi/Piazza (20th)
  4. Caldara/Maglio (24th)
I would count 19 teams who are pretty much guaranteed 2 spots (the 16 teams on both lists along with Peng/Wang, Liu/Nagy, and Chan/Howe). With the other teams who will get 1 spot, that would be 43 assignments total, with 5 spots left over.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Are William/Lewer guaranteed at least 1 Grand Prix spot next season by winning a medal at Junior Worlds? The language on the Grand Prix announcement document from this past year is that

Not a guarantee of a spot, but I think it's generally pretty rare that Junior World medalists don't get at least 1 Grand Prix assignment
No, they are not guaranteed a GP assignment by medaling at Jr Worlds. They're just included in the selection pool. I would be surprised if they get one, TBH. Their SB isn't very high and the pairs field on the GP only has 48 spots total. There are a lot of other teams that will get an invite ahead of them - and I'd guess that any USA TBD spots at SkAm are probably earmarked for Efimova/Mitrofanov and McBeath/Parkman with Martins/Bedard as the likely 1st alternate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information