2023/24 Canadian Women: News & Updates

shutterbug

Bringing over some information from the summer competitions thread - a skater new to the Canadian women's field won the senior women's event at BC's High Performance competition this past weekend. As per @Sylvia, Uliana Shiryaeva moved to Canada from Russia with her family last year and is currently representing Champs skating club. Her eligibility to compete at qualifying events isn't known, but if allowed to participate, her technical abilities may make her a potential national team member despite weaker PCS.

Her performances:

SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lug5c?start=1840
FP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lv7ze?start=1380

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Bringing over some information from the summer competitions thread - a skater new to the Canadian women's field won the senior women's event at BC's High Performance competition this past weekend. As per @Sylvia, Uliana Shiryaeva moved to Canada from Russia with her family last year and is currently representing Champs skating club. Her eligibility to compete at qualifying events isn't known, but if allowed to participate, her technical abilities may make her a potential national team member despite weaker PCS.

Her performances:

SP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lug5c?start=1840
FP: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8lv7ze?start=1380
Well this is both good and not so good news. Pls tptb (whoever they are) get her away from Champs skating club stat.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Initial grand prix assignments are out and Dupuis, Ruiter and Schizas got Skate Canada (I though they might leave a TBD) and Shchizas also got Cup of China. That's all we could have expected really. Fingers crossed for lots of senior internationals for other skaters and that they score well enough to get grand prix invites next year (I'm sure I say this every year but I'm not giving up hope for the Canadian women LOL)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Dupuis shared on her insta story that a childhood dream came true with her first senior Grand Prix assignment.
She was in the audience for Skate Canada in Laval a few years ago (2018), along with her mother. They were staying at the same hotel that I was and we shared a table at breakfast one morning. I've sort of kept an eye on/out for her ever since :)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Posted earlier this month in the 2022-23 season thread:
ZGN Productions recently "wrapped up over 15 days of filming in Toronto, Canada" with Gabby: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtfHrXDJGbV/
More photos from filming (in Barrie): https://www.instagram.com/p/CtKnWS3Jnil/
Mariposa School of Skating featured Gabby in their "Winning Wednesday" post 2 days ago [June 14]: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CteTQYnNpA4/
Hopfes is listed as the "Base Coach to Gabrielle Daleman" in the 2nd photo of their May 26th tweet: https://twitter.com/SkateMariposa/status/1662097151332065281
Daleman (Mariposa School of Skating) has registered to compete in the Skate Ontario Sectional Series – July 20-23, 2023, along with Sara-Maude Dupuis in group 1: https://www.skateontario.org/results/24JUL/24OTTJUL-SrWomenSPGrp1-EL.pdf

Fiona Bombardier and Justine Miclette are listed in group 2: https://www.skateontario.org/results/24JUL/24OTTJUL-SrWomenSPGrp2-EL.pdf

Last edited:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Skate Canada has published the selection criteria for senior internationals in the upcoming season.

It says preference will be given for skaters with grand prix assignments (Dupuis, Ruiter, Schizas) - but regardless they meet target scores (166 domestic and 155 international). Bombardier meets the domestic target score and Daleman and Miclette meet the international one. So we should expect these six skaters to get an assignment. Pereira is actually fractions of a point away from the domestic and international target scores, but it seems unlikely she will continue to skate in singles, though she hasn't announced anything AFAIK. (ETA: Pereira scored 169 when winning the Cranberry international junior last year, which does meet the international score criteria.)

Of course I will be monitoring the summer events to see if anyone gets 166 as well as any JGP assigned skaters who are age eligible will look to see if they can get the 155 international score.

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Skate Canada has published the selection criteria for senior internationals in the upcoming season.

It says preference will be given for skaters with grand prix assignments (Dupuis, Ruiter, Schizas) - but regardless they meet target scores (166 domestic and 155 international). Bombardier meets the domestic target score and Daleman and Miclette meet the international one. So we should expect these six skaters to get an assignment. Pereira is actually fractions of a point away from the domestic and international target scores, but it seems unlikely she will continue to skate in singles, though she hasn't announced anything AFAIK. (ETA: Pereira scored 169 when winning the Cranberry international junior last year, which does meet the international score criteria.)

Of course I will be monitoring the summer events to see if anyone gets 166 as well as any JGP assigned skaters who are age eligible will look to see if they can get the 155 international score.
Nothing for Daleman, maybe retired?

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Nothing for Daleman, maybe retired?
She isn't on the National team:

Schizas, Ruiter, Bombardier and Dupuis.

4rkidz

I don't think Daleman has retired as she is on the list for the Skate Ontario event in a couple of weeks. As I said in the message you quoted, she meets the criteria to receive a senior international assignment based on her international scores from last season. So I expect her to get one.
Be interesting to see the impact of her new training facility and new coach.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
The entries for JGP #1 in Bangkok have been posted by ISU (not confirmed on the Skate Canada website yet) and Hetty Shi is entered. Substitutes are Lulu Lin, Aleska Volkova, and Megan Woodley. These entires were due before this weekend's next gen simulation. Based on those results I would expect Rose Théroux and Lulu Lin to get an assignment. I'm curious to see if they will give anyone a second assignment or if they will send six different skaters. And hopefully as in previous seasons they will send junior skaters to a non JGP competition.

4rkidz

The entries for JGP #1 in Bangkok have been posted by ISU (not confirmed on the Skate Canada website yet) and Hetty Shi is entered. Substitutes are Lulu Lin, Aleska Volkova, and Megan Woodley. These entires were due before this weekend's next gen simulation. Based on those results I would expect Rose Théroux and Lulu Lin to get an assignment. I'm curious to see if they will give anyone a second assignment or if they will send six different skaters. And hopefully as in previous seasons they will send junior skaters to a non JGP competition.
agreed you can see these entries based on previous simulations and not the camp. I really hope they also send the skaters out to non JGP as well.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I think Uliana Shiryaeva is probably going to also get a JGP. I suppose I could see Skate Canada giving 6 different women a JGP, though it seems to me that Theroux probably deserves 2, and possibly 1 of the other 3 (Lin, Shi & Shiryaeva) rather than any other of their Junior women.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Several Canadians are on the entry list for the Cranberry Cup International. This is a great opportunity for skaters to get ISU tech minimums, particularly those who may not otherwise have been assigned to an event by Skate Canada.

Canadians on the junior list include a few who competed at the NextGen event: Abbie Baltzer, Breken Brezden, Angelina Guan, and Kara Yun, as well as two names I didn't recognize: Brookelynn Pollock and Elisha Suebin Ryu

Canadians on the senior list are Fiona Bombardier, Katherine Karon, Katherine Medland-Spence, Natalie Roccatani, Kaiya Ruiter and Amy Shao Ning Yang

4rkidz

Several Canadians are on the entry list for the Cranberry Cup International. This is a great opportunity for skaters to get ISU tech minimums, particularly those who may not otherwise have been assigned to an event by Skate Canada.

Canadians on the junior list include a few who competed at the NextGen event: Abbie Baltzer, Breken Brezden, Angelina Guan, and Kara Yun, as well as two names I didn't recognize: Brookelynn Pollock and Elisha Suebin Ryu

Canadians on the senior list are Fiona Bombardier, Katherine Karon, Katherine Medland-Spence, Natalie Roccatani, Kaiya Ruiter and Amy Shao Ning Yang
Will be a good competition

Sylvia

TBD
Several Canadians are on the entry list for the Cranberry Cup International. This is a great opportunity for skaters to get ISU tech minimums, particularly those who may not otherwise have been assigned to an event by Skate Canada. [...]
Ryu placed 10th in Junior at 2023 Nationals and Pollock was 7th at Novice Nationals - I guess they don't need to go through Skate Canada as long as they pay the entry fee?

Cross-posting the 13 women who were named to Skate Canada's NextGen Team for the 2023-2024 season (Guan was the only one who competed last week who was not included):

Abbie Baltzer | 15 | Hamilton, Ont. | Jennifer Jackson & Bryce Davison | Hamilton, Ont.
Breken Brezden | 17 | Dauphin, Man. | Jennifer Jackson & Bryce Davison | Hamilton, Ont.
Mély-Ann Gagner | 15 | Sherbrooke, Que. | Marc-André Craig | Chambly, Que.
Fée Ann Landry | 18 | Gatineau, Que. | Guylaine Blouin | Gatineau, Que.
Lulu Lin | 13 | Mississauga, Ont. | Paul Parkinson & Andrew Evans | Mississauga, Ont.
Reese Rose | 14 | Gananoque, Ont. | Darlene Joseph | Ottawa, Ont.
Hetty Shi | 14 | Northville, Michigan | Andrew Evans & Paul Parkinson | Mississauga, Ont.
Uliana Shiryaeva | 16 | Coquitlam, B.C. | Joanne McLeod | Burnaby, B.C.
Rose Théroux | 16 | Ste-Victoire-de-Sorel, Que. | Marc-André Craig | Chambly, Que.
Aleksa Volkova | 14 | Lac-Brôme, Que. | Martine Dagenais | Boucherville, Que.
Megan Woodley | 14 | Oro Station, Ont. | Andrew Evans & Paul Parkinson | Mississauga, Ont.
Lucille Yang | 13 | Dunrobin, Ont. | Darlene Joseph | Ottawa, Ont.
Kara Yun | 14 | Burnaby, B.C. | Joanne McLeod | Burnaby, B.C.
Canadians on the [Cranberry Cup] senior list are Fiona Bombardier, Katherine Karon, Katherine Medland-Spence, Natalie Roccatani, Kaiya Ruiter and Amy Shao Ning Yang
This will be the first TES minimums opportunity for all but Ruiter (hopefully their TES minimums will show up on the ISU website's Statistics page, unlike Amanda Tobin's from last year's Cranberry Cup).

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Not confirmed by Skate Canada yet (though the entires almost always match) but Kara Yun is on the ISU entry list for the second JGP in Austria. The subs are Gagner, Landry, and Lin. I thought for sure Théroux would get this one after her showing at the NextGen event. It's not surprising that Skate Canada would go with Shi and Yun if they had to submit early (current jr Canadian champion and highest scorer from last season's JGP).

Karen-W

Not confirmed by Skate Canada yet (though the entires almost always match) but Kara Yun is on the ISU entry list for the second JGP in Austria. The subs are Gagner, Landry, and Lin. I thought for sure Théroux would get this one after her showing at the NextGen event. It's not surprising that Skate Canada would go with Shi and Yun if they had to submit early (current jr Canadian champion and highest scorer from last season's JGP).
They didn't, though. Entries were due last Friday, 7/28 - and, clearly, they were willing to make changes after the Next Gen event since they assigned Nguyen/Giang in ice dance and Ariano Kent/Laliberte-Laurent in pairs.

Colonel Green

Karen-W

Interesting that Rose Théroux hasn't been listed even as a sub yet. I wonder what her plan is for the season.
Yeah, I noticed that. There were some other interesting choices in a bunch of disciplines - not just from Skate Canada, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information