2023/24 Canadian Women: News & Updates

RoseRed

Hmm Volkova? That is interesting based on results I would have thought others would be before her? But good that they seem to be giving as much opportunity as possible with different skaters. I would imagine the highest scores will help to pick for the Youth Olympics and Junior Worlds.
She struggled at the NextGen Comp, but had a very good skate at the Quebec summer comp. Unless I missed a comp, I think SC has ended up picking the women with the best 6 summer scores.

Best summer score for the NextGen women:
  1. Lulu Lin – 167.52 (ON Aug)
  2. Kara Yun – 166.91 (BC/YK)
  3. Rose Théroux – 165.2 (NextGen)
  4. Uliana Shiraeva – 159.02 (NextGen) *
  5. Hetty Shi – 156.69 (NextGen)
  6. Aleksa Volkova – 153.47 (QC)
  7. Fée-Ann Landry – 151.69 (QC)
  8. Brekken Brezden– 138.55 (Cranberry Int)
  9. Lucille Yang – 138.47 (QC)
  10. Megan Woodley – 137.31 (ON Aug)
  11. Abby Baltzer – 136.99 (ON Aug)
  12. Mély-Ann Gagner – 133.94 (NextGen)
*178.87 in seniors (BC/YK)

Fée-Ann did much better than Aleksa at the NextGen comp (142.13 vs 112.09), so there's definitely an argument to pick her over Aleksa given how close they were at the QC comp. However Aleksa is 4 years younger, so I'm not surprised SC chose her.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
She struggled at the NextGen Comp, but had a very good skate at the Quebec summer comp. Unless I missed a comp, I think SC has ended up picking the women with the best 6 summer scores.

Best summer score for the NextGen women:
  1. Lulu Lin – 167.52 (ON Aug)
  2. Kara Yun – 166.91 (BC/YK)
  3. Rose Théroux – 165.2 (NextGen)
  4. Uliana Shiraeva – 159.02 (NextGen) *
  5. Hetty Shi – 156.69 (NextGen)
  6. Aleksa Volkova – 153.47 (QC)
  7. Fée-Ann Landry – 151.69 (QC)
  8. Brekken Brezden– 138.55 (Cranberry Int)
  9. Lucille Yang – 138.47 (QC)
  10. Megan Woodley – 137.31 (ON Aug)
  11. Abby Baltzer – 136.99 (ON Aug)
  12. Mély-Ann Gagner – 133.94 (NextGen)
*178.87 in seniors (BC/YK)

Fée-Ann did much better than Aleksa at the NextGen comp (142.13 vs 112.09), so there's definitely an argument to pick her over Aleksa given how close they were at the QC comp. However Aleksa is 4 years younger, so I'm not surprised SC chose her.
Oh I missed the Quebec comp, so yes does make more sense, thanks.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So I'm kind of shocked but will all the same celebrate two medals for Canada at the Autumn Classic today! Congrats to Kaiya Ruiter and Justine Miclette. This is the first international medal for Miclette. Still neither has the full TES minimums for worlds (missing short and long respectively). Ruiter has SCI coming up and hopefully Miclette will be sent out again.
I'm also looking forward to seeing how Rose Theroux skates in her free in Japan tomorrow. If she puts up a good score I think she has a good chance of getting a senior international later in the season.

Yyzskater

So I'm kind of shocked but will all the same celebrate two medals for Canada at the Autumn Classic today! Congrats to Kaiya Ruiter and Justine Miclette. This is the first international medal for Miclette. Still neither has the full TES minimums for worlds (missing short and long respectively). Ruiter has SCI coming up and hopefully Miclette will be sent out again.
I'm also looking forward to seeing how Rose Theroux skates in her free in Japan tomorrow. If she puts up a good score I think she has a good chance of getting a senior international later in the season.
Unfortunately, Rose had a pretty shakey FS in Osaka.

coppertop1

Congratulations to Kaiya and Justine! Great start to the season. I would love to see more of our women obtain the TES minimum needed for 4CC.

Yyzskater

Too bad as she's shown so much better domestically. I wonder if she might get a senior international anyway based on domestic scores. We'll see.
Yes, it was unfortunate because I think she is such a wonderfully well rounded skater. And JGP is so early in the season, she has plenty of time to ramp up

Sylvia

TBD
Pre-Skate Canada International article by The Canadian Press' Nick Wells (updated Oct. 20) that includes quotes from Schizas:
Excerpts:
Madeline Schizas is in her third year at McMaster University and has been training alongside her studies.
“It’s not something that’s easy. I’m writing two midterms in the next week,” she said, adding that the exams are for transportation planning and research methods. “I really do rely on my support network … I don’t know how I do it.”
Schizas, who won her second straight Canadian women’s title in January, writes her second exam Tuesday before catching a flight to Vancouver the next day for the event, which runs from Oct. 27 to 29.
The aim became to improve her skating skill work as during her first senior events Schizas looked, in her own words, “shaky and kind of like I didn’t know what I was doing.”
“I spent a lot of time doing skating skill work. that was the big item over the summer,” Schizas said. “It’s always been my weakest component and it continues to be, so I've worked on my speed, and flow, and ice coverage and control. I think that’s the thing that’s improved the most from my first couple of senior events.”
Her training has required her to commute between Hamilton and London, Ont., during the week, meaning she stays with an aunt when training before heading back to university.
But her training regimen has allowed her to work with former Olympic gold medalist turned coach Scott Moir.
“Scott really hones in on the details, he’s a fun choreographer to work with but also wants you to get it right,” Schizas said.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Saw this thread come up and popping in here to comment on Madeline after watching her from Cup of China.

I was very impressed with the quality of her presentation. Her programs are really well choreographed but better is that she understands the music and connects with it. So seeing beautiful phrasing (not many skaters get that) and character. And she presents and commits to the characters of her expression.

I didn't see as much of that last year but there is a real maturity coming through in her performances this year which is lovely to watch.

coppertop1

Skate Canada needs to send their women out to competition so we have no women with the World's and 4CC minimums. They seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket with Maddie.

million$momma

Skate Canada needs to send their women out to competition so we have no women with the World's and 4CC minimums. They seem to be putting all their eggs in one basket with Maddie.
It's not like they haven't been sending them - they've sent at least 4 skaters (some of them multiple times) in the past year and no one is reaching the bar... Who do you think they should be sending that they haven't?

Colonel Green

Yeah, honestly, the only woman we have other than Maddie who I think is a realistic prospect to get the minimum is Kaiya, and at least based on her early season outings she could probably use focus on training more than another near-term assignment. If she's cleaned up her jumps by nationals (or Youth Olympics, if she goes there), then you can look at 4CC or some other minor international for a backup.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Kaiya, Justine, Katherine, Fiona, and Sara Maude, and even Amy SNY all have the mins for 4CC, its just the Worlds min that nobody besides Madeline has...I think at least Kaiya and Justine and maybe Fiona should get sent out one more time before Nationals. And the winners of Quebec, BC and Ontario sectionals would be smart too (Savoie, Shiryaeva, Spence). Alas, we will be lucky if any one of them get sent anywhere...

coppertop1

Kaiya, Justine, Katherine, Fiona, and Sara Maude, and even Amy SNY all have the mins for 4CC, its just the Worlds min that nobody besides Madeline has...I think at least Kaiya and Justine and maybe Fiona should get sent out one more time before Nationals. And the winners of Quebec, BC and Ontario sectionals would be smart too (Savoie, Shiryaeva, Spence). Alas, we will be lucky if any one of them get sent anywhere...
Exactly. Our women need experience so they can develop.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Exactly. Our women need experience so they can develop.
I agree - but only when they are competing well enough domestically. Why send someone out to an international if they're not going to get anywhere near the minimums?

We're back to status quo for ladies skating in Canada, where our best bet will struggle to place in the top 10 at worlds. It's just worse now with the Russian ban that we don't have skaters at a level where they could take advantage of fewer competitors.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Justine Miclette has only been sent to one international competition this season, and scored 1.5 points too low for the World Min FS TES (she already has the SP TES). It seems that she should've been sent out at least 1 more time...although her Quebec sectional skate/score wasn't super great.

Kaiya has done 3 internationals and remains 1 point shy of the World SP minimum. I can't say she hasn't had chances. But she is definitely capable.

Domestic scores have definitely been pretty meager this season though.

Sonata

I thought it was weird that the worlds posters have Schizas on them as it’s presumptuous to think she will get the lone worlds spot. Now I see it’s pretty much guaranteed she will go as she’s the only one with the minimums. Although still odd that she’s on the posters next to Shoma Uno. One is not like the other. I’m not paying hundreds for my worlds tickets to see Schizas in Montreal.

Karen-W

Is that a coup happening behind that blue curtain?
I love the potential conspiracy theory that the Canadian fed is refusing to let any other girls get their minimums because they don't want to remake the posters. :lol:
Lol - would that rank right up there with the 1998 Campbell's soup mugs featuring Kwan, Lipinski and Bobek? ;)

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Gabby Daleman had surgery yesterday after an injury at her summer competition in August.

After a freak landing at a competition in August, I completely tore 2 ligaments Surgery day is finally here. (November 28 2023)

5 x-rays, 3 MRIs, 1 CAT scan, and 2 ortho surgeons performing 3 different procedures; a scope, 2 tightropes, a plate and a screw. Also suffered a fracture during the surgery. The 24/7 rehab can officially start. I can’t wait to get my new ankle stronger than ever and get back on the ice.
It’s been a long time coming! (😉 Iykyk)

Thank you to my incredible team, family and friends for being the absolute best support system in the entire world helping me through this! And to everyone who has reached out thank you it’s meant the world to me! I truly appreciate you all 💖

Last a huge Thank you to Dr Park and his incredible team at Women’s College Hospital in Toronto 💕

4rkidz

Gabby Daleman had surgery yesterday after an injury at her summer competition in August.

seriously that girl has more bad luck than any athlete I know, surely at some point she must just want to get on with her life and go to school and get a career? She accomplished so much in her young career.

4rkidz

Huge break through from Fée Ann Landry at the challenge. Too bad she doesn't have tech minimums for 4CC (where have we heard this before LOL). I wonder if she'd be sent to jr worlds without a triple triple.
What a lovely surprise 😲 she is such a lovely skater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information