2023–24 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Brief clip of Bashynska/Beaumont skating to "If You Go Away" by Dusty Springfield at the Scarboro show today. No word on whether it's a new FD or an exhibition program. But they use the same pose they used to open the R&J program.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting IDC's Emmy Bronsard article here from the "Solo Ice Dance is now an official ISU discipline" thread in GSD:
Excerpts:
Bronsard teamed up with Jacob Richmond in 2022 and competed at two international events and the 2023 and 2024 Canadian Championships on the senior level. The partnership ended after their second Nationals.
Three months later with help from a lot of friends, Emmy Bronsard was second at the Inaugural North American International Solo Dance event in Reston, Virginia.
The silver medalist shared the genesis of her preparation.
After Jacob and I split, I knew I did not want to stop skating, and that I did not want to wait around for a partner without having a purpose or a “short-term goal”.
“One of my teammates, as well as my coaches, spoke about an international solo ice dance competition, recognized by ISU, taking place in the Washington DC area in mid April. After a couple of days, I thought why not and decided to browse for music to see if I would potentially like to perform alone in a competition again.”
“I sent official emails to my federation, Patinage Quebec and Patinage Canada, saying I was still looking for a partner, but that in the meantime I would try out solo ice dancing. I got good feedback, so I registered and started training more intensively and began working on my solo ice dance programs on March 20.” [...]
“The whole team helped me prepare for this competition: from Romain Haguenauer helping me read the rules, Sam Chouinard – Kaitlin Hawayek – Ginette Cournoyer – Marie-France Dubreuil helping me get more comfortable moving alone on the ice (and off ice) and to Josée Piché accompanying me to the competition. I.AM was with me all along the way.”

Yyzskater

Any other video from their show? Last year, I think they streamed it via Facebook Live but it doesn't seem they did it this year.

Wyliefan

No, I don't think they did. But I'll post more videos if I can find any.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Lanaghan and Razgulajevs are done per her Instagram post. Future plans aren’t mentioned.

Yyzskater

Lanaghan and Razgulajevs are done per her Instagram post. Future plans aren’t mentioned.

It doesn't say if either of them are continuing individually but it does come across like they are not.

Dobre

They had no edges whatsoever, but they grew together as a team and carved out an entertaining niche for themselves. I always appreciate when teams can do that. It's a shame they shan't finish out the quadrennium.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
They had no edges whatsoever, but they grew together as a team and carved out an entertaining niche for themselves. I always appreciate when teams can do that. It's a shame they shan't finish out the quadrennium.

I agree, but OTOH if they feel that they've gone as far as they can, it makes more sense to cut their future losses and stop now. It costs a lot (for every team) to stay in until the Olympics, and if there's not much chance of getting there, it may not be worth the investment.

Katesk8sgr8s

I enjoyed their performances very much. They grew on me.

Sylvia

TBD
Brief clip of Bashynska/Beaumont skating to "If You Go Away" by Dusty Springfield at the Scarboro show today. No word on whether it's a new FD or an exhibition program. But they use the same pose they used to open the R&J program.
Gala piece, according to the regular pro photographer at this annual show:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C7ks26YxTor/
Nadiia shared more photos of their new EX:

Cross-posting here from the Programs & Choreographers thread - same source:
Sophia Gover/Billy Wilson-French
FD: Burlesque soundtrack

Madison Tong/Michael Boutsan
RD: Fame soundtrack

Choreographers for all: Carol Lane and team (presumably)
Anna MacKenzie/Wesley Lockwood (new team? level?):
ETA: January 2023 Skate Canada Challenge Pre-Novice Ice Dance 2nd & 3rd place:
2 Anna MacKenzie / Juel Kowalczyk ON 14.91 15.35 55.34 85.60 (3) (3) (2)
3 Kadynn Morrison / Wesley Lockwood ON 15.31 15.48 52.12 82.91 (2) (2) (4)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Lauriault/Le Gac’s benefit event looked very festive! (Kaitlin Hawayek was the DJ):

Wyliefan

Audra Gans and Gabriel Liu officially confirm their partnership:

I just realized that Gans/Boutsan and Tong/Liu simply switched partners.

Wyliefan

Oh, and I just noticed what looks very much like a French flag in their announcement!

almiranara

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information