2022 Grand Prix Assignments - when do they come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Phil Hersh just reported that Sheffield is the English city candidate who will host a GP! Still not official.

They must be trying to work something out with the hockey team to move their home game scheduled for Nov 12th. Or schedule around it - do something similar to the typical SkAm schedule where all of the SPs are on Friday, three of the disciplines have their FS on Saturday, and the 4th discipline & gala are on Sunday.

litenkyckling

They must be trying to work something out with the hockey team to move their home game scheduled for Nov 12th. Or schedule around it - do something similar to the typical SkAm schedule where all of the SPs are on Friday, three of the disciplines have their FS on Saturday, and the 4th discipline & gala are on Sunday.
They might be able to move the Sheffield game to Glasgow - the arena where Glasgow play is only used for hockey and skating lessons (whereas Sheffield play in a multi-use arena) so it wouldn't take much moving. Perhaps it would be at IceSheffield but their capacity is like 1500 I believe (which seems very small?) - ironically, Braehead Arena in Glasgow would actually be a good mid-size choice since capacity is around 5000 and it is attached to a shopping centre with restaurants and hotels, on the motorway and 15 minutes from the airport.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I would be extremely surprised if they did that. I'm guessing there is another arena somewhere they plan to use either for the GP or for the hockey game. According to Google, Sheffield has 14 arenas.

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
They might be able to move the Sheffield game to Glasgow - the arena where Glasgow play is only used for hockey and skating lessons (whereas Sheffield play in a multi-use arena) so it wouldn't take much moving. Perhaps it would be at IceSheffield but their capacity is like 1500 I believe (which seems very small?) - ironically, Braehead Arena in Glasgow would actually be a good mid-size choice since capacity is around 5000 and it is attached to a shopping centre with restaurants and hotels, on the motorway and 15 minutes from the airport.
GP Glasgow would have been great!

If it's IceSheffield that's better than losing a GP, but it wouldn't be a good look for the ISU if it's the only place they could get to host a top level event. And it could be pretty chaotic there for a full day full capacity event (not enough loos, too many people wanting to eat and drink etc). They'd need to bring back the Netflix people who made it look like an arena in Zero Chill to do their smoke and mirrors for the broadcast!
I would be extremely surprised if they did that. I'm guessing there is another arena somewhere they plan to use either for the GP or for the hockey game. According to Google, Sheffield has 14 arenas.
But most of those couldn't take an ice surface. I'm not a local, but looks like that list includes The Crucible, home of snooker, and the grayhound stadium.

Karen-W

That's what I'm thinking - asking if Sheffield and Glasgow can switch the host of their home & away games possibly to free up the main arena. That would be the easiest solution, if the league and teams are open to that.

sk9tingfan

That's what I'm thinking - asking if Sheffield and Glasgow can switch the host of their home & away games possibly to free up the main arena. That would be the easiest solution, if the league and teams are open to that.
Wish I could go to this but I'm still wary of flying and especially airports due to the resurgence of the crud. I haven't been back to the UK since the mid-80's and would extend the trip in order to visit my cousin in Oxford.

litenkyckling

I would think so, I believe the EIHL fixtures were announced very recently, and its far enough away to make changes. It's such a small league that they can be flexible.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Wish I could head over again, see some friends and family AND skating :lol: but GPF instead for me this year... unless I can make it work, could even bring Mr. and Mini possibly, tell his teachers "we're going to visit family!" and they'll be never the wiser :shuffle:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Can they have Fran Drescher officially announce the host? Every time I see "Sheffield" I hear her voice.
You officially win this thread. That is hilarious!

I am reminded of when Antonio Samaranch announced that Australia was hosting the 2000 Olympics, he managed to squeeze fifteen syllables out of the winning city, 'Sydney'.

litenkyckling

Now to actually secure tickets! If Hanyu is doing the GP and he got assigned Sheffield I imagine it would make that a much harder thing to do…?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Very happy for the Brits and anyone else planning to go!

Saw some Fanyu comments; does anyone know if he’s skating the GP?
Last I heard, all anyone knew is that he planned to compete this season. But how many competitions and which ones, he hasn't specified.

Karen-W

Last I heard, all anyone knew is that he planned to compete this season. But how many competitions and which ones, he hasn't specified.
His bio on the JSF website was updated last month and the following was added:

A word of comment
Thank you for your continued support.
I will do my best to reach higher heights this season as well.

Some fans/media have concluded this means he will be competing. Personally, I think it's vague and noncommittal - and I really don't expect to see him on the GP this fall.

Yay for Great Britain and Finland getting to host GPs this season! I guess the Russian media won't be eating crow, but who wouldn't love to be a fly on the wall at RFSF headquarters today? It's gotta burn that the ISU doesn't need them after all.

On My Own

Some fans/media have concluded this means he will be competing. Personally, I think it's vague and noncommittal - and I really don't expect to see him on the GP this fall... I guess the Russian media won't be eating crow, but who wouldn't love to be a fly on the wall at RFSF headquarters today? It's gotta burn that the ISU doesn't need them after all.
Well, don't worry, if Hanyu doesn't attend, then we'll get plenty of comments of how literally nothing in skating is worth anything without him 🥰

Karen-W

If Russian fans can't watch Kamila Valieva compete on the Grand Prix, maybe they will at least be able to enjoy Karly Robertson do so. :) 🤞
Is she going another season? I thought I saw something about her retiring this spring.

Karen-W

Hmmmmmm... looks like someone hit the "update" button on the ISU website too fast - they've now removed the locations for both the 4th & 6th GPs -

Hopefully they get this officially sorted out by tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information