2022 Cranberry Open & Cup International- August 8th - August 14th

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Kaptich- Kind of sketchy landings on some of these jumps (a little two-footed looking). Very cool spin positions. 3t-2t. Definitely 2 footed 3 lutz-2t. Fall on very short looking loop. He has a very cool style that fits the music. 2 footed 3 sal into 2 ax. I'm afraid he might get hammered on rotations. Slow spin at start that finishes way after music ends. I liked this program though. It definitely suited him.

Rukia

Klein

Good 3 loop-2t to start. 2 ax-euler-3 sal. Doubled the flip. Nice 3t timed to the music. This choreography is doing a great job of accenting musical highlights. Doubled his lutz. Good 3 loop. 3 sal into...something. Axel maybe? I was drinking water haha. I feel like the program kind of dies out though. Not my fave ending. But he's a fab skater.

shutterbug

Klein

Good 3 loop-2t to start. 2 ax-euler-3 sal. Doubled the flip. Nice 3t timed to the music. This choreography is doing a great job of accenting musical highlights. Doubled his lutz. Good 3 loop. 3 sal into...something. Axel maybe? I was drinking water haha. I feel like the program kind of dies out though. Not my fave ending. But he's a fab skater.
He has lovely arms and uses them very effectively in this program.

Rukia

Waddell

Popped loop to start. 3 lutz-3 toe (but toe looked short and he kind of fell out of it). 2 ax. Another well timed 2 ax. Very nice spread eagle sequence. 3 lutz-euler-2 sal. Lutz may have been short. Another sketchy landing jump (loop?). That looked like another lutz so some of these may be flips hahaha. Like I said my window is really tiny so I miss some of the set ups. Really going after it in this Night on Bald Mountain part. Very intense to the end.

Sylvia

TBD
Waddell

… Really going after it in this Night on Bald Mountain part. Very intense to the end.
Grieg’s In the Hall of the Mountain King. :)

Circelli’s Toller tribute is to Pagliacci, of course! :D
Pitched forward but hung onto his opening 4T!

Rukia

Circelli

First jump looked like a quad toe? Fell on second jump. 3 loop into 2 ax. 3 flip. He doesn't have the cleanest landings. Popped something (lutz?). 3 sal-2t. Got distracted by my daughter thanks for nothing to her. Very dramatic roll on the ice the back up to knees at the end.

Grieg’s In the Hall of the Mountain King.
Ack I was close hahaha. In fairness I slept awful last night. Forgive me Grieg.

Rukia

Hiwatashi

4 sal looked pretty good! 4 toe hand down-3 toe (maybe a little sketchy/short landing). 3 ax also looked tight on rotation, but honestly thrilled he got through that opening relatively unscathed. Short on second 4 toe and fall. Also got hung up on toe pick on second 3 ax. I celebrated too soon. Getting back on track now. Kind of wild edges on his last spin. This program is still fire.

Rukia

Gorodnitsky

3 ax-2t. Another 3 ax. Fw into doubled lutz. 3 flip-3 toe. Lyrical section. 3 something into sal (I think he did an euler in there but it was more like a step so idk). 3 lutz. 3 something I was looking down and missed it. Another lyrical section. Some stretch your legs choreography. Very intnse fw here at the end. Good for him for matching the energy of the music. He seems happy.

Rukia

Sjoberg

This was a 4 sal attempt apparently I told you it's hard to see on my screen haha. Oh pretty good 3 ax (maybe a bit 2 footed). Good 3 loop. 3 flip-2t kind of stumbled out of it. Is this Interstellar? 3 flip-2t. 3 lutz into axel (singled I think). 3 lutz. I scrolled back to Syvia's post and this is indeed Interstallar cheers for me. Good spin at end. I enjoy his skating a lot.

Last edited:

Rukia

Zharkov

Quad toe squatty landing but he hung on. 3 ax kind of wobbly edge on landing, but I think it was fine. Well timed fall on 3 flip? (right on the music!). 3 something euler 3 sal. Very impressed with his increased maturity again. 3 loop. 3 flip-3 toe fall. 3 lutz fall. Losing his arms a little bit at the end, but that will come with time I'm sure.

Sylvia

TBD
FS protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/lea...------FNL-000100--_JudgesDetailsperSkater.pdf

8 clean triples for Gorodnitsky today - deserving win!
Sjoberg's opening 4S fall (new jump for him in comp. this season) was called rotated.

Pl. NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
COPRSKDed.
-
StN.
1​
Mark GORODNITSKYISR
150.00​
78.07​
71.93​
7.30​
7.20​
7.10​
0.00​
#8​
2​
Tomoki HIWATASHIUSA
137.20​
68.10​
71.10​
7.05​
7.10​
7.20​
2.00​
#7​
3​
Eric SJOBERGUSA
129.94​
62.18​
68.76​
6.75​
6.80​
7.10​
1.00​
#9​
4​
Joseph KLEINUSA
126.36​
59.26​
67.10​
6.65​
6.90​
6.60​
0.00​
#4​
5​
Bruce WADDELLCAN
122.06​
51.79​
70.27​
7.00​
7.20​
6.90​
0.00​
#5​
6​
Maxim ZHARKOVUSA
119.66​
59.90​
63.76​
6.40​
6.10​
6.65​
4.00​
#10​
7​
Corey CIRCELLICAN
114.82​
47.39​
68.43​
6.85​
6.95​
6.75​
1.00​
#6​
8​
Darian KAPTICHAUS
108.30​
52.86​
56.44​
5.65​
5.85​
5.45​
1.00​
#3​
9​
Matthew MARKELLCAN
106.76​
45.98​
61.78​
6.20​
6.20​
6.15​
1.00​
#2​
10​
Jack DUSHENSKICAN
100.69​
47.25​
55.44​
5.45​
5.40​
5.80​
2.00​
#1​

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Men
Result
FPl. Name Nation Points SP FS
GOLD Mark GORODNITSKY ISR 219.83 3 1 (eta) 11th at Cranberry last year! - his 2021-22 ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00035210.htm
SILVER Tomoki HIWATASHI USA 206.30 4 2
BRONZE Eric SJOBERG USA 200.40 2 3
4 Maxim ZHARKOV USA 192.48 1 6
5 Joseph KLEIN USA 188.62 7 4
6 Bruce WADDELL CAN 184.45 6 5
7 Corey CIRCELLI CAN 182.66 5 7
8 Darian KAPTICH AUS 165.33 8 8
9 Matthew MARKELL CAN 157.19 9 9
10 Jack DUSHENSKI CAN 150.61 10 10
WD Matthew NIELSEN USA

Last edited:

kirkbiggestfan

I was sitting near Jimmy Ma and Maxim Naumov. The skate America TBD is obviously on the line here. Sjoberg has improved and the 4S is almost there. I was impressed by the Canadian men edges.
Amber did not warmup the 3A today. She probably had too much speed going into the 2a and doubted herself midair. Her triples were rock solid.

Sylvia

TBD
Audrey Shin has shared 2 photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChQuo13rlbA/
first competition of this season - 2022 cranberry cup!🥇🤗

my new dresses weren’t ready, but thankfully @milly.murdock saved the day on saturday and let me wear her beautiful short program dress, + i was able to wear my 2018 romeo&juliet program dress for today’s free skate😂 although there was some happening there, i’m glad the competition ended well :)
Sonja Hilmer has shared 3 photos (3rd one shows a back view of her wearing rinkmate Hicks' Team USA jacket): https://www.instagram.com/p/ChQQigFPIy3/
There could not be a better way to experience my first international competition! I am so honored to have skated among these 15 girls and so excited to be sharing the podium with my Colorado friends! Can't wait to share more Sonja with the world 💖

Shout out to @courtneynhicks for letting me steal her jacket last minute 🤣
(I'll cross-post in the U.S. Women's thread in GSD.)

sk9tingfan

It's just a typo. ;) I appreciated @victorskid taking the time to post the unofficial scores from the livestream when the live results page wasn't updating.

Do you have some in person highlights you'd like to share? :)
Yes, I will post some after reading what prior members have posted. The biggest news I came across is that Daniel Grassl will be training in Boston and staying with an American family whose son trains at SCOB!

sk9tingfan

Is this the same overwrought Beatles from before?? Omg it is lol I'm dying.

Strommer's opening combo was very springy and nice. Lots of arms over the head and an euler that looked like a trip my fave. He's very good though. I'll be excited to watch him grow in his skating.

127.53 total 187.55 currently in 1st place
He was so jazzed at having skated a great long program, let alone win. So much fun when that happens. :) I am wondering if this helps him cement a Junior Grand Prix assignment during one of the last two events.

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Hiwatashi

Sticky landing on the quad sal and hand down. Axel ok. Down on the next jump (quad toe?). This program is so, so good though. I'm exhausted just watching him.
As I was watching this in the arena, he did the quad salchow, which was a thing of beauty. The triple axel was fine, and the quad toe triple toe was not bad. But after that, it got so sloppy, which made me think, "What are you going to do about a problem like Tomoki?" He gets so wild at times; I wonder if he will ever reach his full potential.

Sylvia

TBD
Is this the same overwrought Beatles from before?? Omg it is lol I'm dying.
Yes, Cody Fry's "Eleanor Rigby" (recorded in 2021 during the pandemic) is a VERY POPULAR choice among skaters this season - link to the score video from his YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtQBQDaE4Pg
How Fry assembled the 400-person virtual choir for his arrangement of the song: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/WqvCyIT4JP4

He [Strommer] was so jazzed at having skated a great long program, let alone win. so much fun when that happens. :) I am wondering if this helps him cement a Junior Grand Prix assignment during one of the last two events.
There are 4 JGP events left to be assigned so I think Beck Strommer's chances look good! :) I posted the link to Beck's happy Cranberry post with photos/clips in the U.S. Men's thread: https://www.instagram.com/p/ChLxUNDrrEA/

Last edited:

sk9tingfan

Hilmer in a cat suit. The top is bedazzled within an inch of it's life KMT would be so proud right now. Down on the second jump of the combo, but it was so gentle down to her knees I think she deserves points for style. Nice loop into an arm flex while Xtina talks about being strong yes girl. Omg she leg kicks on one knee while punching an arm during her fw this is the stuff dreams are made of. Spins in both directions to end give her all the points please.
When I saw this live, my thought was how innovative her choreography is; especially the ability to do multiple elements in both directions. Wish I had been closer to the ice, but I can no longer tolerate being upfront. Got too stiff and cold where I was in row 13. Perhaps it will be much better at SKAM with all that ambient body heat. I think I counted about 100 people sitting in the stands.

sk9tingfan

Zharkov's skating used to be so wild when he was younger, but he looks like a mature skater now. Really good effort here. Hand down on the axel.
Comments from the young male skaters around the rink included that Zharkov's SP performance was surprisingly good and somewhat atypical.

sk9tingfan

Gorodnitsky

Fall out of axel perfectly timed to two power chords your faves could never. Power point to sky on the lyrics "Only heaven knows." Oh and a touch to the heart on "follow your heart." Y'all know I love literal choreography.

I mean that's not the most exciting program ever, but it was pretty well done.
Overall, in both programs he appeared to be totally in clean and very controlled. You never got the impression that the 'wheels coming off the bus" was even a remote possibility.

sk9tingfan

Has Shin always had this leg wrap? Actually her legs looked fine in the second 3t of her combo jumps so idk. Big popped lutz(?). 3f step up to 2 axel-2t. That was cool. Very Kwan-esque stop and then keep skating, but not into epic fw. A lot of dramatic hands to face. I like to call it drama headache chroreography. Not bad.
Yes, I noticed the leg wrap too, and was startled. It appeared to be an aberration as it never made a second appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information