2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I wonder if Kam/O'Shea would be added if they won and that is why they were sent out instead of to the pairs final. The pairs competition is not a challenger though. They seem to make up the rules as they go though.
No, they won't be added, nor will any of the other teams (Schaller/Mayr, Sierova/Khobta Smart/Mattick) competing there this weekend since, as you note, it's not a Challenger. There are enough other teams on the alternates list to fill the open spots that are popping up. There's a greater likelihood that VLDigs or McBBar get invited to the open Espoo spot than KamOSh.

Also, there are a handful of teams competing at Warsaw Cup next week who could, theoretically, be added to the alternates list if they earn the total minimum score (Alteryd/Farand CAN, Simioli/Zarbo CZE, Keriven/Bouvart FRA, Beccari/Guarise ITA, Gamez/Korovin PHI, Mauder/Wilkinson RSA).

And, here's something interesting about the Warsaw Cup entries - their list was just updated this morning with Piegad/Strekalin removed. Could be injury-related or it could be that they're going to Japan now unexpectedly.

Skate Talker

So I did do some searching, but apparently I don't know where to look, because I cannot find the answer to this question. Just what does the "MK" refer to in MK John Wilson Trophy? I didn't know where else to post this question. I looked through the official competition website and found zero links to anything named MK. Any MK's I can find do not match the purple background and crown over the joined MK letters. I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So I did do some searching, but apparently I don't know where to look, because I cannot find the answer to this question. Just what does the "MK" refer to in MK John Wilson Trophy? I didn't know where else to post this question. I looked through the official competition website and found zero links to anything named MK. Any MK's I can find do not match the purple background and crown over the joined MK letters. I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me.

Karen-W

Just updating this to add VLDigs to the Pairs Alternates list since they earned the minimum total score today!

Pairs - 1 open spot @NHK, 1 spot open @Espoo
Crafoord/Crafoord SWE 130.62 (63) (SkAm)
Vaipan-Law/Digby GBR 143.81 (64) (MKJW)
Osipova/Epstein NED 146.06 (69) (Espoo)
Piegad/Strekalin FRA 144.71 (GPdF)
Yunoki/Ichihashi JPN 140.46 (none)

Last edited:

Karen-W

The pairs discipline is looking a tad shallow at the moment, but some of these teams could have promise in the future.
Yes, and there are some teams that have only started competing internationally this fall who also have promise. Next season will still be a bit on the rough side, but there will be more options, I think, on the pairs alternates list.

Karen-W

Just thought I'd update the Men & Women alternate lists because we don't know what the status of Aymoz or Shaidorov are and it seems only too possible that Tennell will withdraw; also Ji hasn't competed all season so she could be a late WD from NHK.

Men - no spots currently open (note JPN is maxed out at every event except SCI, where they have 2 men); potentially 2 open spots at Espoo if Aymoz and/or Shaidorov are unable to compete
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)

Next to be added:
Circelli (MKJW)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Women - no spots currently open (note JPN maxed out at NHK & Espoo; KOR maxed out at NHK; USA maxed out at NHK); potentially 1 open spot at NHK if Ji withdraws, potentially 1 open spot at Espoo if Tennell decides to WD
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Ziegler (SCI)
Ji (NHK)
Serna (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Sauter (MKJW)
Peltonen (Espoo)
Saarinen (Espoo)
Pezzetta (none) - just won IceChallenge so she's added to the bottom of the Alternates list forgot she did JGP this season

Last edited:

nuage

Just thought I'd update the Men & Women alternate lists because we don't know what the status of Aymoz or Shaidorov are and it seems only too possible that Tennell will withdraw; also Ji hasn't competed all season so she could be a late WD from NHK.

Men - no spots currently open (note JPN is maxed out at every event except SCI, where they have 2 men); potentially 2 open spots at Espoo if Aymoz and/or Shaidorov are unable to compete
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Orzel (SCI)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Women - no spots currently open (note JPN maxed out at NHK & Espoo; KOR maxed out at NHK; USA maxed out at NHK); potentially 1 open spot at NHK if Ji withdraws, potentially 1 open spot at Espoo if Tennell decides to WD
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Ziegler (SCI)
Ji (NHK)
Serna (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Sauter (MKJW)
Peltonen (Espoo)
Saarinen (Espoo)
Pezzetta (none) - just won IceChallenge so she's added to the bottom of the Alternates list forgot she did JGP this season
Orzel is listed at NHK

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Why didn't Max Naumov not get a GP assignment when everybody and their brother did?

Karen-W

Love it! They deserved a second chance after having a good 4 weeks additional training.

Also, the grid confirms that the spot at NHK won't be filled. :(

Pairs - no spots currently open (potentially 1 open spot at Espoo should Smirnova/Siianytsia withdraw)
Crafoord/Crafoord SWE 130.62 (63) (SkAm & Espoo)
Vaipan-Law/Digby GBR 143.81 (64) (MKJW)
Osipova/Epstein NED 146.06 (69) (Espoo)
Piegad/Strekalin FRA 144.71 (GPdF)
Yunoki/Ichihashi JPN 140.46 (none)

Last edited:

tony

Very sad, that the chance to assign Hocke/ Kunkel in Espoo is gone now.
They were assigned two events from the start. With a Covid withdrawal, a late addition for them into another event would not be possible.

Sabine-Yuna

They were assigned two events from the start. With a Covid withdrawal, a late addition for them into another event would not be possible.
It was possible to give Danilova/ Tsiba another assignment because they could not enter the US in cause of visa problems. H/K could not enter Japan in cause of the positive PCR test. They wanted to go, but Japan doesn't let them in, because they still have these rules. They could have attended every other GP, because you don't need a negative test result.

tony

It was possible to give Danilova/ Tsiba another assignment because they could not enter the US in cause of visa problems. H/K could not enter Japan in cause of the positive PCR test. They wanted to go, but Japan doesn't let them in, because they still have these rules. They could have attended every other GP, because you don't need a negative test result.
As far as I know, the ISU was giving special consideration to visa problems. When I spoke Darenskiy following their removal from the Skate America roster, he was hopeful they would be added to another event because of such.

But in the event of Covid/illness/injury, I don't believe the ISU was considering the same leeway.

Karen-W

Danilova/Tsiba's withdrawal from SkAm happened about 6 weeks ago, IIRC, and the ISU took the first opening it had at that time (NHK with Chernyshova/Windsor's withdrawal) to get them a 2nd assignment and work out the visa issues, which was great. Additionally, DanTsi were a seeded team based on their Worlds result, which is not the case for Hocke/Kunkel.

The timing here is unfortunate for HocKun, because we're at the 2nd to last event and, unless there is another withdrawal this week, there won't be an opportunity for them to get a replacement event. But, they're hardly the only team that had to withdraw from one event and didn't get a replacement event - McBeath/Bartholomay WD from SCI and weren't invited to Espoo even though there have been two WDs from that event in the last week.

And, also, it's my understanding that if you have to WD due to illness, which would certainly apply for a situation with a positive PCR test, you aren't eligible for a replacement assignment.

I actually feel more badly for the handful of teams that were left on the alternates list who didn't get an a 2nd assignment because of these late WDs.

Karen-W

As far as I know, the ISU was giving special consideration to visa problems. When I spoke Darenskiy following their removal from the Skate America roster, he was hopeful they would be added to another event because of such.

But in the event of Covid/illness/injury, I don't believe the ISU was considering the same leeway.
Yes, and Holichenko/Darenskyi did get a replacement assignment - to Espoo - once Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore decided to focus on the JGP this season - because of the visa issues.

They don't, and haven't ever in the past, given replacement assignments due to Covid/illness/injury.

Sabine-Yuna

Yes, and Holichenko/Darenskyi did get a replacement assignment - to Espoo - once Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore decided to focus on the JGP this season - because of the visa issues.

They don't, and haven't ever in the past, given replacement assignments due to Covid/illness/injury.
I would consider it an entry problem (as visa problems are too) and not an illness/ injury problem. But as long as there will be no withdrawals in Espoo, there is no need to talk about it. At the moment all spots have been filled. But still I think it's sad if strong competitors get taken out this way.

Karen-W

I would consider it an entry problem (as visa problems are too) and not an illness/ injury problem. But as long as there will be no withdrawals in Espoo, there is no need to talk about it. At the moment all spots have been filled. But still I think it's sad if strong competitors get taken out this way.
My take on the situation is the ISU is working with teams that have skaters who are having difficulty obtaining visas because either 1) they live in a freakin' warzone and the embassies and consulates from other countries located in their own are operating with limited staff and getting visas processed for a figure skating competition is not a priority, or 2) they are Russian citizens living abroad and representing other nations who are having difficulty obtaining visas to visit some countries because their country of origin has gone to war.

Neither of those issues are the same as being denied entry to a country because you have a positive PCR test due to Covid. We've been living and dealing with Covid for the better part of 3 years now and while its unfortunate for Annika & Robert, they had to have been aware of the stricter Japanese entry restrictions and should have been taking appropriate precautions.

At this point, even if there was another withdrawal (I'm still keeping an eye on SmirSiia's IG), there is no guarantee that HocKun would be invited to fill that opening. 1) the USFS is part of the GP Host Commission and if a situation presented itself where the choice was to offer the vacated spot to a team that had to give up a previous assignment, they'd lobby hard for it to be their own team, McBBar instead. 2) there are still two other teams on the alternates list who have yet to receive a 2nd GP (VLDigs and PieStrek) and my expectation is that one of those teams would be asked ahead of HocKun or McBBar.

airgelaal

Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)

Next to be added:
Circelli (MKJW)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)
Shaidorov crossed out

Karen-W

Shame, but not surprising. My bet would be A. Selevko or Starostin as the replacement. Yes, I do think, given we're still a week out and there are 5 European-based guys, that one of them will be invited. Frangi's the one who I would pick, but Selevko is the closest, being based in Tallinn, and Starostin trains with Hendrickx, so his coach will already be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information