2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
She is still off the other list, so they might’ve just used a prior version when adding Rion and not realised she wasn’t crossed out anymore…
Or they're leaving her assigned to SCI until they can sort out whether or not she can get a visa and if not possibly switch her with one of the other seeded 7-12 women.

Sylvia

TBD
Interesting - another update to the grids - adding the newly assigned Japanese skaters to NHK, as well as UNCROSSING out Ryabova from SCI.
Starr Andrews was added to Skate Canada International in the grid late yesterday (to replace Ryabova).

ETA:

Last edited:

Karen-W

Dang. I go to sleep for a few hours and the grids are updated once more!

Glad for Starr. Miura is fine, though I'm a bit surprised the USFS picked a guy so high up on the SB list.

Absolute shame to hear that ReedAmbru are off the GP lists. Must be something relatively recent since they were on the Nebelhorn list at the start of the week.

I know Miura/Kihara are supposedly back on the ice after her injury, but I'm more than a little worried they'll have to scratch from SCI at the minimum.

Karen-W

With the way the Men's field has been shaking out, if I was the USFS, I'd be holding out on naming that SkAm TBD spot as long as possible. With the strong possibility that Kvitelashvili withdraws closer to the start of the GP, there's a decent chance Hiwatashi could secure a 2nd invitation and the TBD spot go to someone else (not sure who, but yeah...) As it is, I won't be at all surprised to see a Euro-based skater invited to MKJW - my money would be on Frangipani or Selevko - it won't be a Japanese guy since there are already 3 competing there. Also - Japan is now maxed out with 3 men at every event except SCI, so the chances of Miyake, Shimada or Honda getting an invitation are really slim.

Men - 1 open spot at MKJW; USA TBD @SkAm, FRA TBD @GPdF
Miura (SkAm & SCI)
Yamamoto (GPdF & NHK host spot)
Litvintsev (MKJW)

Miyake (SkAm)
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Shimada (MKJW)
Zandron (NHK)
Egadze (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Reshtenko (GPdF)
Orzel (SCI)

Next to be added:
Levandi (Espoo)
Hiwatashi (NHK)
Majorov (Espoo)
Britschgi (SCI)
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Sjoberg (none)
Kapeikis (SkAm)

Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

And the Women's Alternates list - wondering if Ryabova is going to be able to compete at NHK seeing that she had visa issues for SCI. If so, the only options for the JSF will be Kiibus, Kitromilis, Paganini, Daleman & van Zundert since JPN, KOR & USA are maxed out with 3 women each already there, lol.

Women - FRA TBD @GPdF
Kiibus (Espoo)
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Ruiter (none - also injured)
Andrews (SCI & NHK)
Daleman (SCI)
Ziegler (none - @Sylvia - do we know if she's competing this season? I can't recall whether or not she's entered any of the NQS competitions)
van Zundert (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Brezinova (SCI)
Sumiyoshi (GPdF & NHK host spot)
Ji (NHK)
Zhu (SkAm)
Serna (GPdF)
Wang (none)
Sauter (MKJW)
Peltonen (Espoo)
Saarinen (Espoo)
Schumacher (SCI)

The USFS doesn't have a lot of options for the newly vacated SkAm spot - 5 of the teams on the Alternates List are either already at SkAm or Americans. :rofl: Seems pretty obvious it will be one of the Canadian teams or Harris/Chan that get the invitation. Though maybe they'll cut a deal with the FFSG to invite Lagouge/Caffa and, in return, the FRA TBD spot will be given to a US team (especially since that's one of the two GPs that doesn't already have 3 US teams).

Dance - 1 open spot at SkAM; FRA TBD @GPdF
Bratti/Somerville (SCI)
Komatsubara/Koleto (SCI & NHK)
Fabbri/Ayer (MKJW)
Pate/Bye (GPdF)
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs (GPdF)
Janse van Rensburg/Steffan (SkAm)
Lauriault/Le Gac (SkAm)
Cesanek/Yehorov (SCI)

Harris/Chan (SCI)
Lagouge/Caffa (Espoo)
Sales/Wamsteeker (MKJW)
Next up to be added:
Ling/Wein (none)
Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy (SCI)
McNamara/Spiridonov (SkAm)
Chen/Sun (none)
Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky (none)
Polibina/Golovishnikov (none)
Ignateva/Szemko (none)

ostile17

They're still on the entry list for Lombardia too
Hmmm, what could it be that prevents Reed/Ambru from going to SkAm?
If it's true, I am sorry for them but at the same time I am excited at the - albeit slim - chance of KanaDai to podium at a GP event!

Karen-W

Oh no :cry:
https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE
@AnythingGOE
Nina Pinzarrone has withdrawn from Skate Canada International and MK John Wilson Trophy due to injury.

Aw, such a shame!!!!

It will be interesting to see who is invited by the organizers of each event. Japan is maxed out at SCI and NHK, USA is maxed out at MKJW and NHK, Korea is maxed out at NHK.

Women - 1 open spot at SCI, 1 open spot at MKJW, 1 open spot at NHK, FRA TBD @GPdF
Kiibus (Espoo)
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Ruiter (none - also injured)
Daleman (SCI)
Ziegler (none)
van Zundert (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Brezinova (SCI)
Ji (NHK)
Zhu (SkAm)
Serna (GPdF)
Wang (none)
Sauter (MKJW)
Peltonen (Espoo)
Saarinen (Espoo)
Schumacher (SCI)

ETA - from the skater retirement announcements thread -
Ekaterina Ryabova announced her retirement just now on Instagram. Really surprising as she moved into the top 10 at Worlds.

Last edited:

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
It will be interesting to see who is invited by the organizers of each event. Japan is maxed out at SCI and NHK, USA is maxed out at MKJW and NHK, Korea is maxed out at NHK.
I'm guessing Kiibus for MKJW, as the only Europe-based skater on the list.

Karen-W

I'm guessing Kiibus for MKJW, as the only Europe-based skater on the list.
I think van Zundert is also on the alternates list now. Working theory is that Ruiter wasn't placed on Skate Canada's GP athlete selection list even though she was in the SB Top 75, due to her injuries, which would leave her off the alternates list entirely.

I don't think Daleman or Kitromilis are out of the question, being based in Toronto and Boston.

Also, depending on how quickly Skate Canada moves to fill the new vacancy they have, Brezinova might also move onto the alternates list and be another option for MKJW.

Andrea82

The USFS doesn't have a lot of options for the newly vacated SkAm spot - 5 of the teams on the Alternates List are either already at SkAm or Americans. :rofl: Seems pretty obvious it will be one of the Canadian teams or Harris/Chan that get the invitation. Though maybe they'll cut a deal with the FFSG to invite Lagouge/Caffa and, in return, the FRA TBD spot will be given to a US team (especially since that's one of the two GPs that doesn't already have 3 US teams).

Australian Fed assignment calendar updated today lists Harris/Chan for Skate America

Karen-W

Australian Fed assignment calendar updated today lists Harris/Chan for Skate America
Awesome for them! Crossing my fingers that Chernyshova/Windsor get a 2nd assignment too.

For dance - my expectation is that Lagouge/Caffa will wind up with the FRA TBD host spot, but the FFSG is, clearly, hoping they'll get an assignment elsewhere. It will be next to impossible for any of the US teams on the list to get a 2nd assignment - only GPdF and MKJW don't have 3 US teams already invited. Canada is maxed out at SCI and MKJW; and France will be maxed out at GPdF, but the rest of the teams should be good anywhere as long as an opening happens.

Dance - FRA TBD @GPdF
Bratti/Somerville (SCI)
Fabbri/Ayer (MKJW)
Pate/Bye (GPdF)
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs (GPdF)
Janse van Rensburg/Steffan (SkAm)
Lauriault/Le Gac (SkAm)
Cesanek/Yehorov (SCI)
Harris/Chan (SkAm & SCI)
Lagouge/Caffa (Espoo)
Sales/Wamsteeker (MKJW)
Ling/Wein (none)

Next up to be added:
Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy (SCI)
McNamara/Spiridonov (SkAm)
Chen/Sun (none)
Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky (none)
Polibina/Golovishnikov (none)
Ignateva/Szemko (none)

Stephanie

Tomoki has been added to the British GP per the USFS international assignments page. Good job by USFS in waiting as long as possible to assign the third Skate America spot. Now someone else can go.

ETA: I'm happy for Tomoki but this is a bit surprising as he wasn't in the top 10 per score. I guess when determining the top 10 they can eliminate skaters with other conflicts, for example in this case Japanese skaters since there are already 3 at MKJW?

Karen-W

Tomoki has been added to the British GP per the USFS international assignments page. Good job by USFS in waiting as long as possible to assign the third Skate America spot. Now someone else can go.

ETA: I'm happy for Tomoki but this is a bit surprising as he wasn't in the top 10 per score. I guess when determining the top 10 they can eliminate skaters with other conflicts, for example in this case Japanese skaters since there are already 3 at MKJW?
And Eric Sjoberg has been given the SkAm host spot that was TBD!

I think you must be right that any skaters/team from countries already maxed out at an event are kept off the alternates list the organizer can select from. I am a little surprised that BIS didn't go with a Europe-based skater, though. Frangipani, Selevko, Zandron, Egadze, Reshtenko or Levandi all would have been decent options.

Men - 1 open spot at MKJW; USA TBD @SkAm, FRA TBD @GPdF
Miyake (SkAm)
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Shimada (MKJW)
Zandron (NHK)
Egadze (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Reshtenko (GPdF)
Orzel (SCI)

Next to be added:
Levandi (Espoo)
Hiwatashi (MKJW & NHK)
Majorov (Espoo)
Britschgi (SCI)
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Sjoberg (SkAm)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Karen-W

Roscher / Schuster have been assigned to Skate America.

Pairs grid
Not a big surprise to me, to be honest. I expect they're waiting until at least US Classic to fill the 2nd spot, to see if Vaipan-Law/Digby can meet the total minimum score threshold to be invited.

Pairs - 1 open spot at SkAm; USA TBD @SkAm, 2 CAN TBD @SCI, FRA TBD @GPdF
1) Holichenko/Darenskiy UKR (55) (Espoo)
2) Chernyshova/Windsor AUS (60) (NHK)
3) Crafoord/Crafoord SWE (63) (SkAm)

Teams that do not have the Total Score Minimum for GP assignments:
4) Vaipan-Law/Digby GBR (64) 132.56 (MKJW host spot - scheduled to compete at US Classic)
5) Osipova/Epstein NED (69) 119.00 (scheduled to compete at Nebelhorn)
6) Simioli/Zarbo ITA (75) - status unknown 97.73

Samurina

Does everyone hate Eva, I mean she scored over 200 points and is at the top of the replacement list, yet nobody picks her!

Karen-W

Interestingly, the grid still shows Ryabova is assigned to NHK. Guess no one got the memo that she wasn't doing either GP, lol.

@Frau Muller - what are the rumblings about Petrokina? She's posting pretty regularly to her IG stories clips of her practices. I do agree, though, that Rika is probably questionable at this point - she just posted a clip last night on her IG of a single axel with the translation saying she's still in pain.

Updating the alternates list - Ruiter showed up as a substitute for JGP Egna, which indicates to me that, back in July, Skate Canada probably didn't include her on the senior GP selection list for initial assignments as the plan was for her to skate on the JGP again.

Women - 1 open spot at MKJW, 1 open spot at NHK, FRA TBD @GPdF
Kiibus (Espoo)
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Daleman (SCI)
Ziegler (none)
van Zundert (SCI & GPdF)