2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Glad to see Kazakova and Reviya are the first alternates. Hopefully they'll get a second event.
Remember, alternates come from any of the pool of 10 (or sometimes seemingly outside those 10). Being first alternates, otherwise 'highest-ranked' without a second event, could actually work against them if Federations want less competitive fields (ie. their skaters not destined to finish last, or whatever other reasons to pick a lesser threat).

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
What a wake-up this has turned out to be!

I was so absolutely sure, from how tired and injured he was at the end of last season and the fact he's been coaching, that Brendan was done, but I'm so thrilled he's going another year anyway! And two pairs plus Harris/Chan! We've never had so many on the GP!

Though now that it's confirmed Brendan is continuing I shall proceed to minor annoyance that he didn't get two.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
What a wake-up this has turned out to be!

I was so absolutely sure, from how tired and injured he was at the end of last season and the fact he's been coaching, that Brendan was done, but I'm so thrilled he's going another year anyway! And two pairs plus Harris/Chan! We've never had so many on the GP!

Though now that it's confirmed Brendan is continuing I shall proceed to minor annoyance that he didn't get two.
I think there's a pretty good chance he'll get a 2nd one, same for Chernyshova/Windsor. Probably not for Harris/Chan unless there are a LOT of withdrawals. :( But, still, quite a good day for Australia and lots of other smaller feds!

Karen-W

Is there any chance Mae-Berenice could get France’s TBA spot or has she been out for too long?
Absolutely she could get it. I honestly half-expected her to get it straight away, the same way Piegad/Strekalin got one of the Pairs host spots. I suspect that the FFSG just wants to see how she's looking/competing later this summer/early fall before giving it to her.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Absolutely she could get it. I honestly half-expected her to get it straight away, the same way Piegad/Strekalin got one of the Pairs host spots. I suspect that the FFSG just wants to see how she's looking/competing later this summer/early fall before giving it to her.
I could see that. She’s been posting on social media about getting back into competition shape so fingers crossed.

Bouffantrex

Banned Member
I'm going with, "Yes!" Kagiyama, Takahashi, & Sakamoto ought to sell a few tickets.
Why be concerned about selling tickets when the capacity of the arena is less than a high school football game?

Cinquanta is rolling over in his grave!

crzesk8dad

Where am I? How do I get off? Do I get ice cream?
This men's SA pick is going to be interesting. A little surprised to see Kapeikis immediately named to the roster over any of these other guys (particularly Hiwatashi). Tomoki was #56 on last year's ISU season's-best list vs. #73 for Kapeikis. Plus Tomoki has a quad, whereas I think Kapeikis doesn't?? (If wrong, please correct me.) Makes me wonder if there is perhaps an injury issue with Hiwatashi ... His sole GP (NHK) is one of the last 2 events.
Tomoki is skating at Glacier Falls, next week.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Liam was 7th at US Nationals 2022 with some brilliant skating. Tomoki was 7th at 2021 Nationals and withdrew in 2022. Tomoki has had many international opportunities as a senior whereas Liam is just starting out in seniors internationally. It stands to reason that we would give promising new seniors a shot at Skate America. Tomoki could end up with a 2nd spot by the time the series rolls around, but if he doesn't, it only means that he didn't make enough of a mark internationally the last few years. That said, Tomoki is extremely talented and this could be his year.

Jammers

To bad the US has had so many retirements and breakups after last season they could have dominated most every discipline except Ladies this season.

Andrea82

On the Australian Federation's International Assignments calendar, Brendan Kerry is already crossed out from Skate America.

airgelaal

Sylvia

TBD
On the Australian Federation's International Assignments calendar, Brendan Kerry is already crossed out from Skate America.
And Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore now are crossed out of Skate America & Espoo, Finland (they are listed for 2 JGPs back-to-back in Gdansk and the CS Warsaw Cup in November).

With Evelyn Walsh's sudden retirement announced by Skate Canada today, Skate Canada International has 2 TBD pair spots to fill and W/M's spot opens up in Sheffield GBR.

Karen-W

And Golubeva/Giotopoulos Moore now are crossed out of Skate America & Espoo, Finland (they are listed for 2 JGPs back-to-back in Gdansk and the CS Warsaw Cup in November).

With Evelyn Walsh's sudden retirement announced by Skate Canada today, Skate Canada International has 2 TBD pair spots to fill and W/M's spot opens up in Sheffield GBR.
Whelp, my best guess is that Holichenko/Darenskiy (SkAm) will get the Sheffield spot that's now open, Roscher/Schuster (Sheff) will get the Espoo spot that's now open, and either Chernyshova/Windsor or Caldara/Maglio (both NHK) will get the SkAm spot that's now open. That substitution list is getting mighty thin, unless there's an exception made to go all the way down the Pairs SB list.

Alternates/Substitution List for Pairs (SB place):

1) Roscher/Schuster GER (51)
2) Sierova/Khobta UKR (52) - skating juniors?
3) Holichenko/Darenskiy UKR (55)
4) Caldara/Maglio ITA (56)
5) Chernyshova/Windsor AUS (60)
6) Crafoord/Crafoord SWE (63)

Teams that do not have the Total Score Minimum for GP assignments:
7) Vaipan-Law/Digby GBR (64)
8) Panetta/Thrasher CAN (66) - skating junior
9) Osipova/Epstein NED (69)
10) Kucianova/Vochozka CZE (70) - skating junior
11) Hernik/Wozniak POL (71) - are they still skating together?
12) Vouillamoz/Giniaux FRA (72) - skating junior
13) Young/Lewer AUS (73) - skating junior
14) Sazonova/Tashmukhamedov UZB (74) - status unknown
16) Simioli/Zarbo ITA (75) - status unknown
17) Muskova/Kubacak SVK (76) - status unknown

I could see Vaipan-Law/Digby getting moved onto the Alternates list (V-L/D were only about .2 shy of the total score minimum), and possibly Osipova/Epstein if they skate well in some early season Challengers. Same goes for some new teams that aren't eligible for GPs yet - Gamez/Korovin PHI, Efimova/Blommaert GER, Piegad/Strekalin FRA, Keriven/Bouvart FRA, Proft/Nadeau CAN, Plazas/Fernandez USA, etc. I'll be watching the Cup of Colorado later this evening to see how some of the other new pairs teams the US has perform, and watching the Quebec competition tomorrow to see some of the new Canadian teams in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information