2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Happy to see replacements being named even after deadlines this year rather than leaving a bunch of spots empty. So many skaters getting an opportunity.

Remember how in July some people were concerned for the skaters not having assignments, and a full 3 months to prepare/get flights not being enough time? ;)

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Makita and Gunara are out of SCI but will be replaced by Lauriault and LeGac. Skate Canada press release says the former is injured. This is updated on the ISU dance grid.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Happy to see replacements being named even after deadlines this year rather than leaving a bunch of spots empty. So many skaters getting an opportunity.

Remember how in July some people were concerned for the skaters not having assignments, and a full 3 months to prepare/get flights not being enough time? ;)
And at least the feds are on top of things to insure those on the alternates list have documents in order. Canada, are you lurking?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Makita and Gunara are out of SCI but will be replaced by Lauriault and LeGac. Skate Canada press release says the former is injured. This is updated on the ISU dance grid.

Wow, I didn't even realize L/L were sitting at one event. That, or SC conveniently just decided to try and get L/L a chance at the Final ;)

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Hopefully she was aware that this was a possibility for a few days while it was being settled.
I'd guess she probably was aware, especially since the USFS has never shown Wang as being assigned to SCI, even when they were busy updating the Plazas/Fernandez and Mokhovs second GP assignments last Wednesday & Thursday, or adding Bratti/Somerville to IceChallenge.

Mind, Ziegler still isn't listed on that page, but they also haven't updated the results from SkAm and I presume whomever does the updating of that page is probably traveling today.

I appreciate that the host feds are moving quickly to fill newly opened spots. I'm just hoping the FFSG gives Shaidorov's spot to Frangipani or Britschgi. Both have more than demonstrated in their Challengers they're deserving of a 2nd GP.

Wow, I didn't even realize L/L were sitting at one event. That, or SC conveniently just decided to try and get L/L a chance at the Final ;)
Pretty sure that MakGun are injured. They were listed for Budapest or Nepela originally and then removed and everyone assumed in the Challenger thread that it was likely injury-related. So, the SCI withdrawal reason tracks with that.

I don't think LaurLeG have a chance at the Final. Unless they think a 178 at SkAm can beat both GilPoir and FearGib at SCI... But, there's some decent prize money for a top 5 finish and that's more than doable in this field. I do think they're going to challenge GrePar for bronze here, so that should be a really intriguing battle, and two bronzes should set them up as a GPF alternate.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Ziegler's a US citizen and in Hackensack, there are many flights to Toronto from NY Metro, and Canada has dropped Covid restrictions to enter the country. There aren't that many logistics to getting her over the border, unlike someone with connecting flights from another continent and/or visa requirements that would require expediting.

Same with inviting an EU skater to an EU GP.

Ena Grins

I don't think LaurLeG have a chance at the Final. Unless they think a 178 at SkAm can beat both GilPoir and FearGib at SCI... But, there's some decent prize money for a top 5 finish and that's more than doable in this field. I do think they're going to challenge GrePar for bronze here, so that should be a really intriguing battle, and two bronzes should set them up as a GPF alternate.
Lajoie/Lagha are at SCI too, right? I think the top 3 are solidified (though not necessarily the order). Still, Green/Parsons and Lauriault/LeGac will be an interesting comparison.

Karen-W

Lajoie/Lagha are at SCI too, right? I think the top 3 are solidified (though not necessarily the order). Still, Green/Parsons and Lauriault/LeGac will be an interesting comparison.
I'd forgotten about them, but yes, they are. They probably do have a pretty solid lock on bronze over either LaurLeG and GrePar, but we've seen plenty of times where GP judging has reined in excessively high scores from Challengers. I'm not sure I believe that LajLag are within 4 points of FearGib and 25 points better than either LaurLeG or GrePar, which is the current spread on the SB list between those teams.

Karen-W

I'm annoyed for Frangi, but I'll take Britschgi!

Men - no spots currently open (note JPN is maxed out at every event except SCI, where they have 2 men); potentially 1 open spot at Espoo if Shaidorov is unable to compete
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Orzel (SCI)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Britschgi (SCI & GPdF)
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I just did my SkateCan predictions on another site…and see that Rika Kihira is still on tap for the Women’s event, as well as Miura/Kihara for Pairs. Have we heard updates on their progress?
(Rika was at Japan Open but far below her high progress from two years ago…update?)

clairecloutier

Peng/Jin are crossed off both of their GP's (France and Finland) :cry:

Geez. I was pretty much expecting this to happen ... although I thought it would be earlier, not at the last minute, like this. :(

Is it an injury? Retirement? or Chinese fed antics??

Karen-W

Peng/Jin are crossed off both of their GP's (France and Finland) :cry:
Oh no!!!!!:wuzrobbed

The grid also shows Holichenko/Darenskiy are out from Espoo. :wuzrobbed

Efimova/Blommaert better get one of those three open spots!!! And, honestly, Osipova/Epstein really deserve at least one also. It won't surprise me if the Crafoords get one of the open Espoo spots, even if their SkAm debut was really rough.

Pairs - 1 spot open @GPdF, 2 spots open @Espoo (potentially 1 open spot at MKJW & 1 open spot at Espoo - McBeath/Bartholomay & Smirnova/Siianytsia withdrew from their first GP assignments)
Holichenko/Darenskiy UKR (55) (Espoo)
Crafoord/Crafoord SWE 130.62 (63) (SkAm)
Osipova/Epstein NED 146.06 (69) (none)
Efimova Blommaert GER 186.17 (SCI)
Valesi/Piazza ITA 150.96 (SkAm)
Yunoki/Ichihashi JPN 140.46 (none)
Piegad/Strekalin FRA 138.36 (GPdF)
Wessenberg/Eisenach 138.22 USA (none)

On My Own

I can retire from a discipline till 4CCs I guess. Nothing against the other pairs, they just don't interest me as much.

Hedwig

Antique member
That is a pity 😢

Skating seems to have no priority in China anymore. There was but one skater on the JGP?

To think that a fews years back it felt like they could be a force in all disciplines in time. Especially the men and pairs were so strong!

On My Own

To think that a fews years back it felt like they could be a force in all disciplines in time. Especially the men and pairs were so strong!
Well, it was always the women were weak. The pandemic really killed a lot of the skating, even for their seniors. It was sad because of where the Olympics were, it even ended the GPF in Beijing, the 4CCs in Tianjin, and especially the junior worlds in Harbin which is where a majority of team China seniors at the time were haha.

Karen-W

That is a pity 😢

Skating seems to have no priority in China anymore. There was but one skater on the JGP?

China sent the following out on the JGP -

Men - Yudong Chen JGP Solidarity Cup (silver); Tonghe Tian JGP Czech Skate (10th)
Women - Xiangyi An JGP Solidarity Cup (5th); Jiaying Cheng JGP Czech Skate (10th)
Pairs - Yixi Yang/Shunyang Deng JGP Solidarity Cup (5th)
Dance - Xinyi Yu/Tianyi Liu JGP Czech Skate (15th); Yufei Lin/Zijian Gao JGP Solidarity Cup (18th)

clairecloutier

So each junior Chinese skater/team got just one JGP, instead of a possible two? I mean, it probably doesn't really matter, in the sense that none were in the running for the JGP Final, but still, why bother to participate only halfway?? It's just so puzzling.

BTW, do we know if Shen/Zhao still hold official roles in Chinese skating? Or are they out?

Karen-W

So each junior Chinese skater/team got just one JGP, instead of a possible two? I mean, it probably doesn't really matter, in the sense that none were in the running for the JGP Final, but still, why bother to participate only halfway?? It's just so puzzling.

BTW, do we know if Shen/Zhao still hold official roles in Chinese skating? Or are they out?
Well, because they didn't send any skaters to Jr Worlds, they were only entitled to one entry for Men, Women and Dance at two different JGPs, and, I think, one entry in 3 different JGPs for Pairs. I was a bit surprised they didn't send their Pairs team to two JGPs, on the off-chance they could make the JGPF given the lack of Russian teams this season, but it appears their strategy was to give each skater/team one chance on the JGP and see how they did. One can only hope they'll send the most promising ones who are eligible for seniors to Asian Open in December to try and get their senior TES mins, and that they'll send a decent-sized team to 4CCs in February.

Hedwig

Antique member
Well, it was always the women were weak. The pandemic really killed a lot of the skating, even for their seniors. It was sad because of where the Olympics were, it even ended the GPF in Beijing, the 4CCs in Tianjin, and especially the junior worlds in Harbin which is where a majority of team China seniors at the time were haha.
Lu Chen!!

And about ten years back they had quite a few promising women as well
Just nothing ever came out of it

On My Own

Lu Chen!!
I mean Lu Chen retired in 1998 :lol: I don't really know what was happening 10 years ago, apart from Li Zijun? That fizzled fairly quickly.:(

I just feel bad for this team. I like all of them for one reason or the other (apart from Ice Dance I guess) just a pity their fed sucks donkey balls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information