2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championships moved to Las Vegas; no audience

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I was going to suggest photos of skaters who reported being abused and were brushed off or ignored by their clubs and/or USFS.

or the abusers and put a medal around their neck for Asshole Of The Year

Lemonade20

Shining a light on them makes it harder for them to hide in the shadows

Carolla5501

Shining a light on them makes it harder for them to hide in the shadows
This is not shining a light on them. This is glorifying them for fun and games. Not to mention that there could be skaters on the ice who were abused by these people. they should not have to skate with pictures of their abusers staring at them.

After all let’s not consider the victims In your poorly planned attempt to shine a light,Unbelievable

sk8nlizard

So, we are now 2 weeks out and it seems like in person nationals is going to happen. I read the safety measures they posted and they seem about as good as they can be all things considered. They are even more stringent than SA. So, my question is, when do you think the last day they would possibly switch it to virtual/cancel it would be? I don’t think they will, but the Regionals/sectionals was cancelled exactly 1 week out. This is a whole lot bigger with TV rights, more big names, etc but I am just wondering other’s thoughts...I am really hoping it’s able to happen!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
So, we are now 2 weeks out and it seems like in person nationals is going to happen. I read the safety measures they posted and they seem about as good as they can be all things considered. They are even more stringent than SA. So, my question is, when do you think the last day they would possibly switch it to virtual/cancel it would be? I don’t think they will, but the Regionals/sectionals was cancelled exactly 1 week out. This is a whole lot bigger with TV rights, more big names, etc but I am just wondering other’s thoughts...I am really hoping it’s able to happen!
I would say probably a week before. Skaters/coaches/officials have to fly in and if this was going to be switched to virtual they need to do it before the folks start getting on planes.

PairSkater12345

These skaters are sequestered like criminals. They arrive, Tested (processed) required to stay in their room with no contact (even pairs/dance partners can spend time in the same room). The athletes are threatened, If you brake the rules you will be sent home. They are texted the results of their test and texted where to be and when. There's no sense of community, not athlete interaction with other teams a complete plan for isolation. This is about NBC money and satisfying the audience at home because they are sequestered also.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
These skaters ... required to stay in their room with no contact (even pairs/dance partners can spend time in the same room). ...

Not sure what you mean. So partners ARE allowed in the same room? I think that you mean “cannot”... 🤔
Understand the frustration. Somehow, Russia and Japan just held fabulous Nationals.

sk8nlizard

These skaters are sequestered like criminals. They arrive, Tested (processed) required to stay in their room with no contact (even pairs/dance partners can spend time in the same room). The athletes are threatened, If you brake the rules you will be sent home. They are texted the results of their test and texted where to be and when. There's no sense of community, not athlete interaction with other teams a complete plan for isolation. This is about NBC money and satisfying the audience at home because they are sequestered also.
While I agree with you that the protocols in place are stringent, we are in difficult and unprecedented times and it seems like this is the safest way to actually hold events right now. I would imagine that most if not all athletes would prefer to follow these rules and actually get to compete then to have no competitions this year.
Also, every rule you listed I found in the Code of Conduct sheet that US Figure Skating posted on their website. Every athlete, coach and chaperone has to acknowledge by clicking a box that they agree to follow these protocols. They also have to say whether they intend to compete or not. These protocols and rules should not come as a surprise to anyone attending the event. If they don’t agree or can’t/won’t follow the rules, then they should not compete this year.
I actually applaud US Figure Skating for trying everything they can to keep skaters competing and safe during this competitive season!

Lizziebeth

The rules about contact at Nationals are strict, but I suspect that skaters would prefer to have Nationals instead of having it cancelled. I also think that most skaters already are familiar with isolation, skating without an audience and communicating by text. JMHO.

I hope Nationals happens, but I will understand if it doesn't.

Debbie S

I think Nats needs to go virtual. Or at least postponed, given that many rinks around the country (plus Toronto, i.e. Jason) have closed. In two weeks, we'll likely be in the middle of a post-holiday surge. It's not just about having a bubble at the event. There's the travel, not just the plane but also the airport and travel to/from. Even a mild case of YKW could destroy a skater's career. And then there are the coaches and officials (who skew older).

And some states (including mine) have officially banned non-essential travel outside the state. Obviously, that rule is impossible to enforce...99+% of those traveling over Christmas weren't "essential"....but the optics aren't good for an org/USFS to require people to violate state regs.

Carolla5501

LOL

Are you going for "drama queen" of 2020 (and that's a hard title to accomplish)

Let's start with sentence one. They are doing this of their own free will, a judge has not sentenced them to a room in the Orleans hotel. (Just in case you missed it criminals don't get that choice)

Moving on to sentence two... after all it would be SO much better to get a disease that could potentially be fatal and that you can then spread to your friends and family

Sentence 3 Once again they are not "threatened" Threatened is where someone tells you "if you don't quit posting nonsense I am going to take away your keyboard" and then doesn't do it. They are informed of the conditions for VOLUNTARY participation in the event. If they don't like them they didn't have to go.

Last sentence. After all those skaters have not worked all year for this, they had no desire to skate at Nationals did they? And of course NONE of the skaters want any funding for next year so if USFS doesn't make any money and can't provide funding that won't be an issue for anyone, after all skating is a cheap sport and money is overrated.

Most skaters seem eagar to go. They seemed eagar and excited to do Skate America under the same circumstances.

I'm sorry you don't get to have a party, but welcome to 2020!

Carolla5501

I am sorry but the optics of ignoring "non-essential" travel bans are basically "non-existent". Rightly or wrongly, people are over the "lockdown" and the "optics" are not an issue IMHO. Not to mention that in most states traveling for business is "essential" so .... this is the business.

I am not sure what they should do, but having watched the videos if they go "virtual" they have got to come up with a way to do "professional" videos for all skaters. What you had for the selection is a joke. Some videos are great, but in some I am really curious how any judge/technical panel would know that a jump was under-rotated etc... and there's no way they could be be broadcast on NBC in prime time! Maybe NBC makes the local stations to go out and record the performances (and forces the skaters to have private ice). But someone has to pay for all of that too...

Last edited:

Amy L

I am not sure what they should do, but having watched the videos if they go "virtual" they have got to come up with a way to do "professional" videos for all skaters. What you had for the selection is a joke. Some videos are great, but in some I am really curious how any judge/technical panel would know that a jump was under-rotated etc... and there's no way they could be be broadcast on NBC in prime time! Maybe NBC makes the local stations to go out and record the performances (and forces the skaters to have private ice). But someone has to pay for all of that too...

I hope that if the Nationals go virtual, NBC can help with the "quality control". The qualifying event had the range of professional videographer with good sound, all the way to what looked like a full session where you could barely see the competitor in the crowd that included a coach and a skater in a jump harness while little kids were waving into the camera. If NBC wants it prime time, then they'd have to pony up for the private ice time I suppose.

Last edited:

clairecloutier

Obviously, competing in a bubble is difficult for the skaters and not the way anyone would prefer to see Nationals happen. But, I think many of the skaters would still rather have a Nationals, even in a bubble, then a virtual comp or nothing at all. This isn't just about money and profits but also about skaters having some reason to stay motivated and continue training. (There is some perspective on skaters' thoughts in this article I recently did-- https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ip-comes-first-for-colorado-springs-boys.aspx).

At this point, I am just trusting that USFS will make the best decision that they can. Any other criticisms of USFS aside, I think they have done a good job this fall of trying to balance safety vs. competitions. They got through Skate America with no reported cases resulting from the event. Hopefully the same could happen for Nationals, although admittedly, it's a much bigger event and the national caseload situation is worse now. Given this, it's definitely possible that we could see some disqualifications of skaters/coaches/officials at the initial testing stage in Las Vegas.

sk8nlizard

At this point, I am just trusting that USFS will make the best decision that they can. Any other criticisms of USFS aside, I think they have done a good job this fall of trying to balance safety vs. competitions. They got through Skate America with no reported cases resulting from the event. Hopefully the same could happen for Nationals, although admittedly, it's a much bigger event and the national caseload situation is worse now. Given this, it's definitely possible that we could see some disqualifications of skaters/coaches/officials at the initial testing stage in Las Vegas.
I agree, though I saw that Senior competitors had to start logging into a health form daily yesterday and I think Juniors start next week. While this won’t catch all cases, it might help. Also, it might make skaters more aware and cautious about risks they are taking. Though to be fair, Skate America went well and we have heard of very few (if any) cases among top US Skaters. I would guess some have had it and we just don’t know but it seems like most of the top US skaters are taking safety seriously.

Lemonade20

The rules about contact at Nationals are strict, but I suspect that skaters would prefer to have Nationals instead of having it cancelled. I also think that most skaters already are familiar with isolation, skating without an audience and communicating by text. JMHO.

I hope Nationals happens, but I will understand if it doesn't.
I’m glad they are taking it really serious. It’s not a joke at all. Their health comes first and if that means being sequestered, it’s a small price to be able to compete. I wish them all the best and hope they have a great time.

Jayar

Every single athlete who I have talked with is on board with the plan. They just want to compete. And it's not like these are policies that are put into place for policy's sake-- there is a lot of data that is being used to make this work. I applaud everyone working hard to help this competition along, including NBC. I completely understand that NBC is in this for ratings, but it can only help skating -- there isn't much to watch these days, and maybe skating will gain new fans as a result? In terms of staying healthy-- not a single case came out of Skate America as far as I know, and I live with someone who was in the bubble.

Sylvia

TBD
In terms of staying healthy-- not a single case came out of Skate America as far as I know, and I live with someone who was in the bubble.
Bob Dunlop, USFS' Senior Director of Events, mentioned in a Dec. 10th webinar that 250 tests were conducted at Skate America (all were negative) and that everyone was tracked for 2 weeks afterwards with no symptoms or illness reported.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think Nats needs to go virtual.
I think no important comp (Nationals & Worlds in particular) should be virtual. It's a very unfair format and will give these events an *.

And some states (including mine) have officially banned non-essential travel outside the state.
Traveling to Nationals to compete is business travel. It's not going to Hawaii for Christmas just because.

Anita18

It depends!
In this surge on top of a surge, any travel is risky. But having strict bubble rules can make it possible.

They have a model to work from, from Skate America and what the NBA did. I know someone whose partner was part of the NBA bubble, as part of the production crew. It sounded VERY strict, but it worked.

They have to commit 110% to the bubble idea, if they're going to hold the competition in person. The virus is relentless, and only has to get lucky once.

annie720

In this surge on top of a surge, any travel is risky. But having strict bubble rules can make it possible.
If I were attending Nationals, it's the travel that would bother me the most. The large number of skaters who train in SoCal and Colorado are lucky because they can drive to Vegas in a day. If I had to fly, and especially if I had to take multiple flights, I would be concerned about that aspect of it. Being in Vegas itself wouldn't concern me nearly as much, thanks to the bubble.

Carolla5501

If I were attending Nationals, it's the travel that would bother me the most. The large number of skaters who train in SoCal and Colorado are lucky because they can drive to Vegas in a day. If I had to fly, and especially if I had to take multiple flights, I would be concerned about that aspect of it. Being in Vegas itself wouldn't concern me nearly as much, thanks to the bubble.

Actually studies have shown that travel really isn't as dangerous as you might imagine as long as everyone plays by the rules. I have friends who are flight attendants for Delta and fly at least once a week. Their only " crisis" came when a fellow flight attendant discovered when she got to some town in the middle of nowhere that her husband had just been diagnosed. She called in and they took her off the schedule (she drove back to Atlanta). My friend never developed any problems (probably because her coworker did the right thing!)

sk8nlizard

Actually studies have shown that travel really isn't as dangerous as you might imagine as long as everyone plays by the rules. I have friends who are flight attendants for Delta and fly at least once a week. Their only " crisis" came when a fellow flight attendant discovered when she got to some town in the middle of nowhere that her husband had just been diagnosed. She called in and they took her off the schedule (she drove back to Atlanta). My friend never developed any problems (probably because her coworker did the right thing!)
This is true. When I spoke to my rheumatologist about traveling in general he actually was okay with me getting on an airplane and staying in a hotel. He said these activities aren’t that risky (and the flights will be after the holidays making them even less so as all holiday travel will be done). He was much more concerned about what would be done when a person got to their destination. If they are being tested, quarantined and put in a bubble, I think it’s a pretty low risk actually. The biggest thing might be that you test positive when you get there and don’t get to compete, but that is what it is and if people are super careful these next two weeks, it should cut down on that potential a lot. If people are really worried about flying they could leave early and drive. It would be a long drive, but if they feel hotels are safer than planes, there’s always that option.

RoseRed

I think Nats needs to go virtual. Or at least postponed, given that many rinks around the country (plus Toronto, i.e. Jason) have closed. In two weeks, we'll likely be in the middle of a post-holiday surge. It's not just about having a bubble at the event. There's the travel, not just the plane but also the airport and travel to/from. Even a mild case of YKW could destroy a skater's career. And then there are the coaches and officials (who skew older).

And some states (including mine) have officially banned non-essential travel outside the state. Obviously, that rule is impossible to enforce...99+% of those traveling over Christmas weren't "essential"....but the optics aren't good for an org/USFS to require people to violate state regs.
TCC isn't closed as far as I know, so Jason should still be able to train. The Ontario lockdown rules permit sports facilities to stay open just for high performance athletes, as long as safe protocols are in place. Toronto has been in this grey zone (lockdown) for a while, and I've seen recent videos of skaters training at TCC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information