2021 Skate Milwaukee & Junior Cup, July 7-11

Debbie S

Looks like they are running about 20 minutes behind right now. With the w/d's in Junior Ladies, they might make up some of it by evening.

Sylvia

TBD
Taira Shinohara and Philip Baker (both qualified for the ISP last season) are 2 to watch in the regular Junior Men's SP next.

ETA:

Shinohara landed his opening 2A He's been practicing 3Lz+3T but fell on his 3Lz today as well as on his second half 3F. Jazzy piano music. 46.94

Maximilian Lai was really into (with his dancing :)) his SP music to "Sweet Dreams" by Eurythmics - 3T+2T, 2A, 2?F - nice job! 53.56

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Men SP is next - the 3 competing are: Trevor Bucek, Andrew Austin, Maxim Naumov.

Sylvia

TBD
Not the clean SP Naumov was hoping to duplicate from Colonial Open last month - 4S fall, 3A, 3Lz(hop)+2T - he kept his "Run" by Joji music from last season that was choreographed by Adam Blake. 68.14

It was refreshing to see a man skate to music from Sunset Boulevard for a change - Trevor Bucek did a nice job, I thought. 54.26

Good to see Andrew Austin back competing! He skated to a male emo ballad. 50.01

Senior Men SP protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2021/29848/SEGM021.html

Novice Men SP is next - (eta) Andriy Kratyuk and Antonio Monaco are 2 to watch.

Top 2:
Monaco (49.33) skated to Warsaw Concerto and landed 3F+2T & 3Lo before falling on 2Aq.
Kratyuk (46.33) reprised his last season's "(I Just) Died In Your Arms Tonight" by Cutting Crew and landed 3T+2T, 3S & 2A plus had 2 L4 spins.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
JUNIOR CUP LADIES SP starting order:

1 Kanon Smith, All Year FSC
2 Lindsay Thorngren, SC of New York
3 Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey
4 Ava Ziegler, SC of New York

5 Violeta Ushakova, The Skating Club of Boston
6 Mia Kalin, St. Moritz ISC
7 Adele Zheng, DuPage FSC
8 Maryn Pierce, Broadmoor SC

10 Elsa Cheng, Skokie Valley SC
11 Clare Seo, Broadmoor SC
12 Josephine Lee, All Year FSC

WD-#13 Jessica Lin, Dallas FSC
WD-#9 Kate Wang, SC of San Francisco

Good Luck to All! :)

Sylvia

TBD
Darnit, I didn't refresh my livestream and missed Kanon :( - what were her jumps please? She kept her fun Mary Poppins medley music from last season. 55.92

I believev Thorngren is keeping her "Writing's on the Wall" cover song and has a new costume.
ETA that she landed 3F, 2A & 3Lz+3Lo - good job! :)

natsulian

Lindsay - her musicality, speed, and skating skills have all reached a new level; beautiful 3F, Ina Bauer into 2A, and 3Lz3Lo; ambitious technical elements and great overall presentation; needs more "presence on the ice" but everything else was beautiful

sk8nlizard

Kanon - amazing speed going into all of her jumps; great musicality coupled with some of the best spins I have ever seen; 3Lz was landed but had a few turn-outs so she couldn't tack on her 3T (no combo), beautifully stretched 2A, and great 3F
I believe in the short that means she got no credit for the 3Lz. If she had tacked on a double toe, her score would have been much higher.

Sylvia

TBD
66.91 for Thorngren.

Levito's SP music is Saint-Saens' famous "The Swan." ETA jumps: 2A, 3F, 3Lz(edge warning?)+3T.
70.10 into 1st!

Ava Ziegler's music is "I'll Take Care of You" performed by Beth Hart.

natsulian

Isabeau Levito... superb maturity and elegance on the ice. Levito's speed has definitely improved, especially going into her solo jumps like the 2A and 3F. However, the halt before going into the 3Lz3T was a little jarring as it took away from the performance. Apart from that, Levito's performance was magical.

sk9tingfan

Isabeau Levito... superb maturity and elegance on the ice. Levito's speed has definitely improved, especially going into her solo jumps like the 2A and 3F. However, the halt before going into the 3Lz3T was a little jarring as it took away from the performance. Apart from that, Levito's performance was magical.
ITA. She also doesn't totally skate like Sasha any more. She has developed her own style.

love skating

Clueless American
Isabeau was wonderful! I agree that her first two jump passes showed improvement, the combo was a bit lacking, but the presentation was gorgeous! Lindsay has improved too and she's so consistent! I adore Kanon, unfortunately I missed her skate and will need to catch it later. So many lovely juniors to watch!

natsulian

Mia's jumps, although landed, were a little off today (she tacked on a 3T while at a stand-still) but her spins, speed, and skating skills have vastly improved. I found myself smiling and bobbing along to her step sequence which was the highlight of the performance for me. What sets Mia apart from the rest was her speed... she's a gazelle on the ice.

sk9tingfan

Really good artistic improvement for Mia Kalin and I thought that the music selection really suited her. She needs more work on the spins, but a really good effort. Wonder if she will pull out her 4T for the long program?

She must have gotten one or more under-rotations as she scored only 59+ for the SP. The protocols should be interesting.

ptvvibezz

excited for program announcements
Claire Seo just did 2 3-3s during the 6-minute warm-up! The second one looked better than the first

Sylvia

TBD
Can anyone ID Elsa Cheng's music? Song by Muse in second half maybe? Jumps: 3Lz+3T looked good, 2A, 2F darnit.

ETA:

Clare Seo kept her "Rain, In Your Black Eyes" SP from last season - confident skate with 3Lz+3T, 2A & 3F!
ETA #2: 64.78 into 3rd

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I posted this in the U.S. Ladies thread back in late May:
Josephine Lee is the most recent addition to USFS' ISP at the Junior level, presumably (primary coaches appear to be Amy Evidente & Naomi Nam Poor in Lakewood, CA): https://www.instagram.com/p/CPXI0gULlTP/
The most recent U.S. qualifying competition result I could find for her was 12th in Novice Ladies at the Pacific Coast Sectional Championships in November 2019 (she didn't enter the virtual U.S. Championship Series in either Junior or Novice this past season).
Josephine landed 3T+3T, 2A & 3F and skated very expressively to "Please Don't Make Me Love You" from Dracula the Musical - 62.21 (think that's a personal best) & into 4th!

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Cup Ladies SP protocols: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2021/29848/SEGM023.html
SP scores: https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/nonqual_results/2021/29848/SEG023.html

Standings after SP:
1 Isabeau Levito, SC Of Southern New Jersey 70.10
2 Lindsay Thorngren, SC of New York 66.91
3 Clare Seo, Broadmoor SC 64.78
4 Josephine Lee, All Year FSC 62.21
5 Mia Kalin, St. Moritz ISC 59.96
6 Kanon Smith, All Year FSC 55.92
7 Maryn Pierce, Broadmoor SC 52.56
8 Elsa Cheng, Skokie Valley SC 51.83
9 Violeta Ushakova, The Skating Club of Boston 51.29
10 Ava Ziegler, SC of New York 50.25
11 Adele Zheng, DuPage FSC 47.55