2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

Stephanie

Are Calalang/Johnson included on/eligible for the subs list since they weren't originally submitted by USFS for GP selection due to her banned substance issues? I really hope the answer is yes, since per the season's best list they are by far the highest-scoring pair without 2 assignments.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
It is possible Mai Mihara is a "comeback skater" or something (last season doesn't really count), and also she won Asian Open which was originally listed as a Challenger event. Regardless of the rules, she scored over 200 at Asian Open so I am not really concerned about this. None of us really know all the rules and the lists we compile are just for fun at the end of the day since there seem to be many caveats or no rules at all. We kinda know this by now.... :p

euterpe

Mai Mihara is a lovely skater who unfortunately suffers from RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and her career has been spotty at times when she has flares.

She has had much international success in the past, finishing 5th at Worlds 2017, and medaling at 4CC 2017 (1st), 2018 (2nd) and 2019 (3rd). She won bronze at SA 2016 and silver at IDF 2018, and never finished lower than 4th at her other GP events. From 2016-2018 she medaled at all three of her Challenger events: 2 silver and 1 gold. She won gold at 4 International B events from 2015-2019.

She has been absent from international competition since 2019 and returned to win Asian Open 2021.

She is a worthy replacement for Rika Kihira, and I'm glad to see her back!

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Wait who besides P/J lost a GP?
Wang/Huang.

French GP replaced the Chinese pairs with

Chtchetinina/Magyar
Ghilardi/Ambrosini

Wow, the FFSG really are trying to give Keriven/Pierre and the Kovalevs a chance at not finishing dead last. Hope it backfires on them spectacularly. OTOH, it does significantly improve K/F's chances at the silver medal, same for J/R.

Andrea82

Wow, the FFSG really are trying to give Keriven/Pierre and the Kovalevs a chance at not finishing dead last. Hope it backfires on them spectacularly. OTOH, it does significantly improve K/F's chances at the silver medal, same for J/R.

I thought these 2 or Zhuk/Bidar were the most likely picks for France.

If the aim was to find someone who may lose to K/P or K/K (and it is a hard task!), I would have gone for Jones/Boyadji.

Karen-W

I thought these 2 or Zhuk/Bidar were the most likely picks for France.

If the aim was to find someone who may lose to K/P or K/K, I would have gone for Jones/Boyadji.
I figured on G/A as well but I was really hoping they would step up and add Calalang/Johnson. I wonder if they simply aren't on the alternate list because they weren't submitted in the first place due to the suspension. And, like I said earlier, I was hoping Metelkina/Parkman would warrant a GP nod after their strong showing at Budapest Trophy.

Karen-W

Russia is shutting down in a big way: https://twitter.com/France24_en/status/1451192297517953026?s=20

Not sure what it means for Russian skaters getting to GPs or even for Rostelcom.
Well, the RFSF has the resources available to relocate their own GP skaters to other training bases in Europe for the next 2 months, if necessary. I worry more about the foreign skaters who train in Russia who might not have the same financial resources available to support relocating to Italy or Germany for the rest of the fall competition season.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, the RFSF has the resources available to relocate their own GP skaters to other training bases in Europe for the next 2 months, if necessary. I worry more about the foreign skaters who train in Russia who might not have the same financial resources available to support relocating to Italy or Germany for the rest of the fall competition season.
Or at least their potential medal winners

sandra_persch

Boy I really hope the foreign skaters are able to get out before the lockdown kicks in full time!
I really hope Müller & Dieck and Hase & Seegert are still in Germany or have already left for their next competition!

Karen-W

Boy I really hope the foreign skaters are able to get out before the lockdown kicks in full time!
I really hope Müller & Dieck and Hase & Seegert are still in Germany or have already left for their next competition!
I was thinking of them as well as Hurtado/Khaliavin and the Georgian skaters.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Mai Mihara is a lovely skater who unfortunately suffers from RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and her career has been spotty at times when she has flares.
She is a SuperWoman to have achieved all she has in the sport while dealing with RA. I'm so glad to see her back and looking healthier again. And winning!!! Good for her.

Ka3sha

Russia is shutting down in a big way: https://twitter.com/France24_en/status/1451192297517953026?s=20

Not sure what it means for Russian skaters getting to GPs or even for Rostelcom.
New lockdown is set only for Moscow and only during the announced non-working week (initially we should have had holidays weekend from Nov 4th till 7th, but the government turned it into the whole week, so people stay at home foe entire week). After November 7th Moscow will be back on more or less normal track allowing access to all public places with vaccine QR codes.

Russian GP should be fine, since it's held in Sochi and most likely the QR codes will be required there. But Sochi has always been a popular touristic destination, so the QR codes have been required there since July (to book a hotel or fly there), so it shouldn't be a problem.

Karen-W

There are a few skaters whose status I'm not sure (ie if they were submitted for GP spots or not in the first place), but here's my combined SB list for replacements. Pretty much the same as what Hariboo just posted.

1. Seoyeong Wi - 193.3 (NHK)
  2. Alexia Paganini* - 192.88 (WD from SC)
  3. Viktoria Safanova - 192.49 (CoR)
  4. Yuhana Yokoi - 191.9 (SA)
  5. Mako Yamashita - 189.25
  6. Anna Frolova - 187.72
  7. Sofia Samodurova - 187.16 (ITA)
  8. Yeonjeong Park** - 186.58
  9. Elizaveta Nugumanova - 186.02
  10. Mana Kawabe - 185.22 (SC)
  11. Eva-Lotta Kiibus - 184.27 (CoR)
  12. Nicole Schott - 182.71 (NHK)
  13. Hanul Kim - 182.5
  14. Nana Araki - 181.8
  15. Emmi Peltonen - 181.79
  16. Jenni Saarinen - 181.2
  17. Starr Andrews - 181.18 (SA & IdF)
  18. Lara Naki Gutmann - 179.59 (ITA)
  19. Marin Honda - 179.26
  20. Alessia Tornaghi - 178.6
  21. Josefin Taljegard - 178.1
  22. Tomoe Kawabata - 177.86
  23. Ting Cui - 177.47
  24. Alexandra Feigin - 177.37
  25. Audrey Shin - 176.67 (SA)
  26. Hongyi Chen - 175.77 (WD from ITA)
  27. Lindsay van Zundert - 174.5
  28. Alison Schumacher - 174.02 (SC)
*Paganini may be injured since she pulled out of SC
**Park may not have been submitted, because she was going for the JGP this season

Events with 3 from a fed:
  • ITA - 3 Russians
Looking at the options for Italy to replace Bradie -

I'm not sure if they have a 3rd woman eligible if Tornaghi isn't given the slot. Negrello competed on the JGP.

Is Paganini eligible since she WD from her one assignment? Best guess Safonova, Kiibus or Schott since the travel costs would be minimal for them, or possibly Peltonen. Of course, we're in the 2 week window so they don't have to invite anyone as a replacement but I'd be surprised if they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information