2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
That's assuming he's even capable of the TES mins. Per the protocol, he had 9 falls in the FS. Neither he nor Peng Zhiming even have the 4CCs TES minimums so I suppose the Chinese fed is going to have to find some way to get one or both of them out to compete internationally this fall. Yudong has the 4CCs SP min but needs the FS min while Zhiming has the 4CCs FS min but needs the SP min. Neither of them have the Worlds mins in either the SP or FS.
LOL!!!!!! How is that even possible??? Oh, I guess he could also go down on all his spins, too.... lol

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Rika Kihira is crossed out of Skate Canada on the women's grid (which is listed as being updated 'as of October 18'): https://www.isu.org/docman-document...-files-40/entries-6/25937-entries-ladies/file

I'm guessing this is to allow more recovery time, so best wishes to get better soon Rika!

📢📢 Shout out 📢📢 please don’t post any more withdrawls of ANLs favorite skaters from the Grand Prix circuit until I’m fully liquored.

Not on a Monday, not today people

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Very happy for Starr!!!! Also sad that Alysa wasn't initially assigned here.
I am happy you mentioned this, because I think that USFS made a huge mistake/gamble in not putting Alysa at Skate America where she belonged. I think if I should put myself into the mind of USFS that they were thinking that they wanted to split up Bradie/Alysa so as to increase their chances of making the Grand Prix Final. (Yarrite!!!!). And now they have egg on their faces because not only did Alysa get the short stick of the skating competitions difficulty-wise, but now USFS is dealing with their top international competition without Alysa AND now Bradie. It's a disaster. Probably not one they could have foreseen.

As I saw that Starr Andrews is the replacement (Yay Starr!! Good for you!), I wondered if USFS could have assigned Alysa to the event just for kicks? Her scores/placements/points would not have had to matter at all. At least it would have given the primarily US audience an Olympian to watch this season. Or is Alysa doing an exhibition at SkAm? I read that somewhere.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Can I just say that while I realize that it's probably really cheap for the USFS to get Starr from LA to Vegas for SkAm, I'm casting a major side-eye at them for not replacing Samsonov or Z/G when they had over a week's notice. I know they're within the 14-day window but there are plenty of NA-based dance teams that are on the alternates list they could have selected. The men, maybe not easily but still... C'mon USFS, don't be such cheap jerks.

With regards to the news about Kihira being out of SCI - color me selfishly happy since that improves Alysa's medal hopes.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
Can I just say that while I realize that it's probably really cheap for the USFS to get Starr from LA to Vegas for SkAm, I'm casting a major side-eye at them for not replacing Samsonov or Z/G when they had over a week's notice. I know they're within the 14-day window but there are plenty of NA-based dance teams that are on the alternates list they could have selected. The men, maybe not easily but still... C'mon USFS, don't be such cheap jerks.

With regards to the news about Kihira being out of SCI - color me selfishly happy since that improves Alysa's medal hopes.
Yes to that. Why couldn't they find replacements? These are coveted spots and opportunities that very few people get to compete in these competitions. It would be nice if they made an effort to fill all the spots since the number is so limited to begin with.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
The same back problems that she's had all year. She's back to training now, but evidently needs more time to be competition-ready.
And isn't that Bradie's problem too? Her back? I completely understand. I injured my back (practicing a Bielman.....lol) and it has been a constant problem. I've been pretty much bedbound 20+ hours/day on my back for the last ten years. So my advice to them is REMEMBER YOUR LONGTERM HEALTH!!!!!! Fortunately for me being disabled and confined to my bed is a nice lifestyle for me, but not one that others may desire. And STOP THE BIELMANS!!!! When your back is telling you that you don't have the flexibility to do them anymore, don't push yourself. It's the wrong kind of pushing yourself because it can result in permanent injury. Overstretch your hamstrings if you must, (like I did and tore my left one) but don't mess with your spine. Like, pretty please don't.

Just thinking about these skaters with back problems that are out there skating makes MY back hurt even worse because I know what they are fighting through. I just got back on my roller blades for the first time in 10 years and I couldn't do much but stand and even that was difficult! Attempting triples? Those twisty spins??? Pain On Ice.

Last edited:

SidelineSkater

Yes to that. Why couldn't they find replacements? These are coveted spots and opportunities that very few people get to compete in these competitions. It would be nice if they made an effort to fill all the spots since the number is so limited to begin with.
It’s not an excuse but my guess is they knew Bradie could possibly withdraw and had Starr on standby. So much easier to anticipate filling that slot as a host pick.

I agree they should fill the open spots, even though it’s within the rules to not at the time of withdrawal.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
..... Or is Alysa doing an exhibition at SkAm? I read that somewhere.

I wouldn’t be surprised...as Alysa is Toyota Ambassador. In the past, Toyota & USFS have flown her in for exhibitions, whether or not she’s competing. They may have also had Starr in reserve for exhib/ Toyota Spectacular.

Sylvia

TBD
Bradie's post on her Instagram just now: https://www.instagram.com/p/CVLStagFieO/
Hi everyone, I just wanted to pop on here and give an update.
With sadness, I've withdrawn from Skate America. I've been working hard to beat an ongoing injury with my foot. While I'm very happy to be making a LOT of progress in overcoming this and now getting back to full training, competing right away doesn't make sense. Energy and persistence conquer all things, and I'm full of both! I can't wait to compete again soon 💪🏻

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
It’s not an excuse but my guess is they knew Bradie could possibly withdraw and had Starr on standby. So much easier to anticipate filling that slot as a host pick.

I agree they should fill the open spots, even though it’s within the rules to not at the time of withdrawal.
Good point. That's probably it. They must have known for a while this would be a decision made at the absolute last minute.

YukiNieve

Apparently, Skate Canada decided to sell the all-event tickets for a limited number of spectators tomorrow, October 19.

Sylvia

TBD
Andrews instead of Izzo? That's an odd choice. Didn't Gabby finished higher at nationals and got higher scores this season so far?
Starr was first alternate due to the skate-off for the 3rd SkAm spot at Champs Camp: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...unmask-themselves.108436/page-31#post-6080298
Rika has been suffering from osteochondral injury in her right ankle since last July and, unfortunately, it has not been completely healed. She will focus on treatment and rehabilitation for the future competitions.
Thank you! Here’s a Kyodo news article in English:

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
GP Italy

Out: Hongyi Chen

IdF

Out: Peng / Jin, Wang / Huang
Ugh. Well, I hope that Calalang/Johnson get one of those IdF spots since the FFSG selfishly assigned the Kovalevs to to spot vacated by Hamon/Strekalin.

How did Mihara wind up with the SCI invitation? She didn't appear on the likely alternate lists that haribobo and RoseRed compiled. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't surprise me since she did beat Sakamoto at Asian Open last week. But, hell, if the host countries are going to play fast and loose like this then I'm going to start lobbying hard for Barquero/Zandron to get the other IdF pairs spot, lol. And if the FFSG sticks to the subs list then I'll go in hard for Metelkina/Parkman who really impressed at Budapest Trophy this past weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information