2021/2022 Canadian Ladies: News and Updates

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Because of a couple of deleted posts yesterday which were made right after people started wondering why Kaiya wasn't competing at Challenge - they were worded in a way that implied her vaccination status was an issue. It was gross and inappropriate and several of us tried to shut down the speculation but once it was put out there, some people here leaped to a conclusion and responded as if it were fact rather than mere scuttlebutt.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
And if it's another issue (or there's a genuine medical reason involved) I hope this doesn't compel them to clarify by releasing information they'd preferred to keep public, as frustrating as it may be. It's a shame her season's over, but it's not for us to know.

(That being said I really do hope it's not true because if so, :wall:)

Karen-W

(That being said I really do hope it's not true because if so, :wall:)
Seriously, take the judgment to the worldwide health forum. There are plenty of valid reasons for not vaccinating and it is wildly inappropriate to make any assumptions or judgments about a 16-yr old girl.

Rafter

I think Ruiter trains at the Glencoe Club. If the anti-vax thing is true, I wonder if she's even able to train there. I belong to a private club in Toronto and there are very strict vaccination policies. You're not allowed in unless you're double vaxxed. Every private club and private school in Toronto is the same way. I'm assuming Calgary clubs are the same but I could be wrong.

euterpe

Oh, Madeline skated today with an inner freedom and power!
Congrats, Canadians!! imho Maddie was better than Mariah
Both Madeline and Mariah will likely be passed by Khromykh and Hendrickx tomorrow. Khromykh for sure, as Russia wants to own the Rostelecom Women's podium (and get 5 spots for Russia in the Women's GPF).

honey

Great skate today for Madeline! Loved the confidence.

I posted this in the comp thread as well, but she didn’t get the second half bonus for her 2A today (though she did at Skate Canada). She also didn’t get it at Finlandia. I am assuming the placement of that third jumping pass must be in a borderline time frame. Seems like an easy fix for some extra guaranteed BV.

Erin

Banned Member
I think Ruiter trains at the Glencoe Club. If the anti-vax thing is true, I wonder if she's even able to train there. I belong to a private club in Toronto and there are very strict vaccination policies. You're not allowed in unless you're double vaxxed. Every private club and private school in Toronto is the same way. I'm assuming Calgary clubs are the same but I could be wrong.

My understanding is that the Glencoe Club does have a mandatory vaccination policy. I believe most (if not all) rinks in Calgary do since September.

euterpe

I'm happy for both Madeline and Mariah---but I'm also realistic.
Khromykh scored 124 and change in the free at Warsaw Cup last week — I wouldn’t exactly call it “for sure”.
That wasn't on home ice before a group of carefully picked judges. And Khromykh scored 154.31 in the JGP ITA FS, where Hendrickx scored 145.53. Maddie and Mariah scored 123.95 (SC) and 129.98 (IDF) in their GP FSs.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

That wasn't on home ice before a group of carefully picked judges. And Khromykh scored 154.31 in the JGP ITA FS, where Hendrickx scored 145.53. Maddie and Mariah scored 123.95 (SC) and 129.98 (IDF) in their GP FSs.
But if Khromykh bombs the big elements again, then there's no way she can be held up to a level that stays competitive, regardless of the panel of judges. Unless you think they are capable of giving her +4's and +5's for unsuccessful jumps. :lol:

And FWIW, I thought the judging was pretty good throughout the day. Carefully-picked judges? The tech panel is BLR, HUN, and MEX, and there are judges from USA, CAN, BEL, ITA, AUT on the panel. If you had something like RUS, BLR, ARM, EST, AZE, GEO, LTU, UKR, UZB as the 9, then yeah, I'd say something. But it's not even close to that.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Yes, well, Khromykh also has not skated at all well in her last three programs - 3z-2t in her SP at Warsaw and her FS was a disaster (not landing the quads was hardly her only issue in that FS); now falling on the combo in the SP today. These judges might be hand picked to prop up Russian skaters but I don't see them propping up Khromykh again tomorrow if she skates like she did in Warsaw.

Marco

Here's Schizas' skate from ISU youtube channel.

Besides being happy for her for the great skates in Russia, the entire Canada must be breathing a sigh of relief right about now. :D There seems to be a clear, solid frontrunner for that Olympic spot now and she is riding on great momentum going into Nationals (which surprisingly is still 2 months away).

barbarafan

Besides being happy for her for the great skates in Russia, the entire Canada must be breathing a sigh of relief right about now. :D There seems to be a clear, solid frontrunner for that Olympic spot now and she is riding on great momentum going into Nationals (which surprisingly is still 2 months away).
challenge is end of this week though.

Catherine M

Its sad that Amanda Tobin was ignored this fall by Skate Canada so no matter how she does at Ottawa nationals, her season is over with as IMHO, she really put herself into contention for the podium this weekend in Regina.

And I said this in the Challenge thread but why are they spending money to send THREE pair teams to Golden Spin but none of the top women that don't have min scores. Not very fair and frankly not very long term thinking on their part.

barbarafan

Its sad that Amanda Tobin was ignored this fall by Skate Canada so no matter how she does at Ottawa nationals, her season is over with as IMHO, she really put herself into contention for the podium this weekend in Regina.

And I said this in the Challenge thread but why are they spending money to send THREE pair teams to Golden Spin but none of the top women that don't have min scores. Not very fair and frankly not very long term thinking on their part.
You are so right. Not sure who is making decisions at SKate Canada as to who to put on the teams. Maybe one concussion too many? They obviously choose first and then make up rules so that their choices are legal. Re:ice dance...should have had a few more (or at least one) due to the great quality & surprise addons of Seniors.

greenapple

Does Tobin have a triple Lutz? I believe skaters have to have a 3-Lutz to be assigned to international events. In any event, from the interviews Skate Canada has posted from this competition it seems that the focus is squarely on the NextGen campaign.

million$momma

Does Tobin have a triple Lutz? I believe skaters have to have a 3-Lutz to be assigned to international events. In any event, from the interviews Skate Canada has posted from this competition it seems that the focus is squarely on the NextGen campaign.
How old in Tobin? Skate Canada seems really focused on the teenagers who can jump vs the older skaters who may be late bloomers. There are quite a few juniors landing 3Lz.

Sylvia

TBD
The Ruiter family has said that Kaiya has been MIA dealing with a leg injury:
FWIW - from the rulebook: https://info.skatecanada.ca/index.p...-extraordinary-circumstances-and-medical-byes
12.6. Extraordinary Circumstances and Medical Byes
Extraordinary circumstance Byes to Skate Canada Challenge or the Canadian Figure Skating Championships at any level may be granted by the High Performance Development Committee in consultation with the Skate Canada President, Skate Canada CEO, Director(s) of High Performance and NextGen, as appropriate. Such Byes will only be granted in extraordinary circumstances where the skater has demonstrated worthiness for a Bye. Such a Bye is extraordinary and will generally be related to medical conditions. In this case, such Byed competitor(s) will be in addition to the designated maximum number of competitors in the relevant Canadian Figure Skating Championships Event. Requests for consideration for a Bye must be made in writing to the Skate Canada CEO and must contain a description of the grounds upon which such Bye is being requested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information